Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 09:21:10 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Do you ever give to panhandlers?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Poll
Question: Do you ever give to panhandlers?
Yes, as much as I can.   -0 (0%)
Sometimes, if I have extra change.   -3 (21.4%)
Yes, but food only.  Not money.   -1 (7.1%)
Very rarely.   -3 (21.4%)
Never.   -7 (50%)
Total Voters: 14

Author Topic: Do you ever give to panhandlers?  (Read 4011 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: May 22, 2017, 02:29:16 pm »

What is your overall feeling of and treatment of panhandlers?

I drink your milkshake!
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2017, 03:20:21 pm »

I've heard stories of people faking it to get extra money. I just saw a video on Reddit about some lady that does that and got caught by a few people. However, every time I see them, and I have a dollar or two, I always give them some money. I know some are lying, but I figure there are more who are actually struggling (no scientific research performed).
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 03:37:05 pm »

I hate panhandlers and will never give them anything ever.  It's all to support drug abuse.  Giving them money goes against the very core of what I believe -- that society should collectively support those trying to get back on their feet.  There are plenty of places to get help with food, clothing, jobs, etc -- but these bums want drugs in the vast, vast majority of cases.

Instead, you just encourage people to do nothing but stand on the side of the road and slow traffic with begging.

I see the same bums every day with the same bullshit story on their sign for several years in a row.

I am probably on the fringe, but I think that giving money to panhandlers at stoplights should be a ticketable offense, to discourage it.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2017, 03:46:49 pm »

I have very rarely given anyone money. Recently, it has been to one particular person who lives in the woods near a bar I visit. He is not always asking for something either. There have been times I just sat and talked with the guy because all he wanted was some conversation.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2017, 04:23:21 pm »

I run into this one homeless guy every couple of weeks, and I'll usually take him to Denny's or some other place to eat.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 06:08:05 pm »

Didn't we do a thread about this a while ago?

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2017, 06:44:17 pm »

The area between Dave's house and work is the rehab and halfway house capital of the world .. in addition to that there's a huge overdose epidemic going around due to all the drug use. I think that ends up giving rise to a very specific kind of pan-handler we see commonly
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 09:30:30 am »

I do sometimes but it it doesn't have anything with extra change. It depends on if I feel it is justified.  I used to give more but have seen people who choose this as a lifestyle and I'm not supporting that.  In my line of work I've come across several homeless communities where that is their only goal. They have a car and tent city so they are perfectly happy to live like hippies. 

With that said I've always thought I'd want to spend a day or two asking for money just to see how much you can generate. I would donate the money if I did this but I am really curious. I see these "families" ,for lack of a better term,  drop off people and then pick them up later.  I'm guessing when you have 5 or 6 people spread out they have to be making some money.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 09:51:51 am »

It just seems to me like it's never helping.  Even if someone needs it, if they are given money, they're just going to be there the next day to get more money.  It isn't helping them return to a normal lifestyle.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 05:15:33 pm »

It just seems to me like it's never helping.  Even if someone needs it, if they are given money, they're just going to be there the next day to get more money.  It isn't helping them return to a normal lifestyle.
Hahaha ... you are coming over to the Republican mentality Dave.  Republicans would rather create ways for you to take of yourself than just give money.  At some point people have to accept consequences to their actions or lack thereof.

True story ... one of the many churches sponsored by my church in Africa sent their pastor to us to ask us to quit sending money.  He asked that we send people to train them to take care of themselves. He too has seen that just giving things away does not produce much fruit.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2017, 08:27:07 pm »

Hahaha ... you are coming over to the Republican mentality Dave. 

Not. At. All.

I never give to beggars.  Food banks, yes.  Homeless shelters, yes.  Pan handlers, no.

The republican mentality is there should be no safety net.  Folks like me and Dave support expanding food stamps, job training programs, and section 8 housing, just not pan handling.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2017, 08:38:39 pm »

From my experience here...

They're all over the area where I live,they're always in the Walmart parking lot (homeless camps around that area,both the supercenters on this side of town) all the way down around the interstate.The City attempted an Anti panhandler ordinance,then went with an Anti-aggressive pan handler law,as we had several police calls a day about them,impeding traffic,being aggressive with drivers yelling at them, etc. A lot of people tried to propose a solution to put them to work some how, but couldn't anyone to work with them....

Yeah... Republicans here believe that's the church's job to give people the handouts. Lips Sealed

Here they use "christian" aspect to get people to give them cash,And try to put bible scripture on signs,etc...

Slightly off the subject,but it's also why I don't give anyone money,unless it's through a charity,etc....I still have a homeless problem in my neighborhood,but not quite as bad as say 5yrs ago,since they closed the homeless shelter(s) really close to me.The homeless here would try to get to know you,ask for your name,etc,etc.Homeless people in my area would get aggressive,as soon as you give them a quarter,Ie knocking on your to ask for money,wait on your porch if you're not home,and if someone calls the police,they say...Oh,this is my buddy (then give your name) house.

I've had panhandlers,walk up to my window in traffic, say a name,and say you gave me a dollar yesterday.My coworker Scott who has given money before said he gave one a dollar,they asked his name,shook his hand and said "God bless you Scott,Thank you god bless".

« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:40:28 pm by DaLittle B » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2017, 08:40:13 am »

OT:  I know a recruiter for a day labor company.  He gives out his business card to anyone with a sign implying that they would be willing to work.  Most don't call, but he says he has gotten some of his best workers that way.  Granted he will do things other employers won't, such as file the paperwork and pay the fee to get someone a duplicate birth certificate and then tell that person to check back every week then hire them once the paperwork is in.  He also pays daily and will cash the check for anyone without a bank account.  He also doesn't care what your criminal background is He has a shower at the office so the homeless are semidecent smelling when they go to a client.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2017, 11:09:31 am »

We should really be creating housing for these homeless individuals. I think it was Colorado that did this. Get them housing and some training, and send them to work. Much cheaper than leaving them homeless.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2017, 03:50:51 pm »

Not. At. All.

I never give to beggars.  Food banks, yes.  Homeless shelters, yes.  Pan handlers, no.

The republican mentality is there should be no safety net.  Folks like me and Dave support expanding food stamps, job training programs, and section 8 housing, just not pan handling.
haha ... you can spin it any way you want but you know I'm right. Republicans want to limit food stamps and spend more to train. If people can't or won't be trained then they need to go it alone.  That's the same exact thing Dave is saying. He doesn't want to keep giving money to a cause/person who it only helps to prolong their current situation.

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray