Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:38:11 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Rank the Star Trek movies.
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Rank the Star Trek movies.  (Read 2544 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: May 31, 2017, 02:39:42 pm »

They are, in order of release:

The Motion Picture
The Wrath of Khan
The Search for Spock
The Voyage Home
The Final Frontier
The Undiscovered Country
Generations
First Contact
Insurrection
Nemesis
Star Trek (2009)
Into Darkness
Beyond
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 03:45:24 pm by Dave Gray » Logged

I drink your milkshake!
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 03:50:38 pm »

Top Tier:
Wrath of Khan
Voyage Home
Star Trek
First Contact
Into Darkness

Middle Tier:
Undiscovered Country
Generations
Insurrection
Beyond
Motion Picture

Bottom Tier:
Search for Spock
Final Frontier
Nemesis
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 04:28:21 pm »

For me:

Into Darkness
Star Trek (2009)
First Contact
Beyond
Wrath of Khan
Undiscovered Country
Voyage Home
Search for Spock
Generations
Nemesis
Insurrection
Motion Picture
--
I've never seen the Final Frontier, but I understand it is the worst.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 05:08:46 pm »

I'll be honest, I would have to re-watch them as I can't recall which is which (even the plots of the new cast are jumbled in my head).
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 05:25:38 pm »

Here's the basics:

The Motion Picture - 2001-esque, slow-paced, Enterprise glory-shot filled -- gas cloud that is sentient calls itself V'Ger.
The Wrath of Khan - Khan and his crew of genetic-superiors seek revenge on the crew for being stranded back in the episode "Space Seed".
The Search for Spock - The crew looks for Spock's body on the genesis planet.  Involves Kirk reuniting with his son, David.
The Voyage Home - Crew travels back in time to the 80s to rescue some whales.
The Final Frontier - Involving Spock's brother and meeting God (though I've not seen it)
The Undiscovered Country - Klingons need help because their moon gets destroyed.
Generations - Both crews come together to figure out the Nexus, a ribbon in space that creates Euphoria for those in it.
First Contact - TNG crew goes back in time to make sure that Zephram Cochrane makes his first warp flight.
Insurrection - A malfunctioning Data takes control of a quaint society while he's supposed to be secretly watching over them.
Nemesis - Involves Picard meeting his doppleganger from Remus
Star Trek (2009) - Reboot of the series where Nero disrupts the timeline with Red Matter.
Into Darkness - Re-living integral events of Wrath of Khan, though the new timeline.
Beyond - Krall attacks the Federation outpost, stranding the Enterprise to a people that seek to absorb their identity.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 06:03:53 pm »

It used to be that the odd-numbered ones were bad and the even-numbered ones were good, until Nemesis (10) came along and was terrible.

I liked First Contact and Wrath of Khan.  The rest were mediocre or outright bad (but I haven't seen 1 3 5 13).

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2017, 09:09:16 am »

Awesome

Star Trek (2009)
Into Darkness
First Contact
The Wrath of Khan
Beyond

Solid

Insurrection
Generations
Nemesis

Rather Watch Something Else

The Search for Spock
The Motion Picture
The Undiscovered Country
The Voyage Home
The Final Frontier

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2017, 09:27:15 am »

I think that the Motion Picture is actually not a bad movie.  It's just out of time.  It was in response to 2001, so it's incredibly long and slow-paced.  It's hard to watch several minute long sequences of the Enterprise docking.  The actual story itself is pretty interesting and very much thought-provoking Star Trek, if you can get through it.

I bet you that there is a fan edit of that film that gets the basic ideas across and only lasts 40 minutes.

Glad to see Into Darkness love on here.  That movie is really good and is largely maligned by the Trek community these days.

I drink your milkshake!
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2017, 12:08:13 pm »

A lot like Phish,It's been so long since I've seen the old ones, I couldn't give an opinion....

For me...It's which ones would I watch now,and it's the reboots* I wouldn't even bother watching any of the Shatner,and I've not seen any of the Next generation movies.(I'm not a big star trek fan)

Simply the order in which the reboots came out....
1.) Star trek (2009)
2.) Into the Darkness
3.) The beyond (I wasn't really fond of this one,but I only saw it once)

*The Star trek reboots (Star trek,and Into the darkness),The Christian Bale Batmans',Deadpool,and The 2 Hellboy movies are in the series of movies when channel surfing bored I'll put on to watch unless I find something better to watch.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2017, 06:16:05 pm »

I think that the Motion Picture is actually not a bad movie.  It's just out of time.  It was in response to 2001, so it's incredibly long and slow-paced.  It's hard to watch several minute long sequences of the Enterprise docking.  The actual story itself is pretty interesting and very much thought-provoking Star Trek, if you can get through it.

I bet you that there is a fan edit of that film that gets the basic ideas across and only lasts 40 minutes.

Glad to see Into Darkness love on here.  That movie is really good and is largely maligned by the Trek community these days.
I've seen most of them and the only 2 that I would search out and watch is Wrath of Khan and Motion Picture. The later Shatner movies weren't that good. Everything Next Generation was shitty including the TV show. And the new reboots are just OK. Nothing even comes close to The Wrath of Khan for me.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2017, 09:26:48 am »

^ We just have to disagree there.  I think Next Generation is a far superior show to the original series.  Unfortunately, Roddenberry's vision made for bad drama -- he didn't allow conflict between the crew.  Once he was gone, TNG really opened up and got interesting.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2017, 10:54:17 am »

^ We just have to disagree there.  I think Next Generation is a far superior show to the original series.  Unfortunately, Roddenberry's vision made for bad drama -- he didn't allow conflict between the crew.  Once he was gone, TNG really opened up and got interesting.

By today's standards TNG had better plot, richer characters and vastly superior special effects and graphics.  But if you in the context of their respective periods the original series was a ground breaking show tackling many issues in a unique way and goes down as an all time great series.  While TNG is just a popular sequel that didn't break any new ground.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2017, 11:44:18 am »

By today's standards TNG had better plot, richer characters and vastly superior special effects and graphics.  But if you in the context of their respective periods the original series was a ground breaking show tackling many issues in a unique way and goes down as an all time great series.  While TNG is just a popular sequel that didn't break any new ground.

I think a rewatching of the following TNG episodes...

The Offspring
Darmok
Family

...would make you reconsider some of the groundbreaking aspects of TNG. They approach profound topics (searching for the meaning of life, communication barriers between people, dealing with the aftereffects of severe trauma) in unique ways in these episodes, which is why they're among my favorite TNG's.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2017, 11:48:43 am »

TNG absolutely did break new ground, and Dave just stated how: Roddenberry had a standing rule that there could not be any conflict between Starfleet characters (obviously excepting alien influence, etc.).  Once he died, that rule went away, and that's generally considered the period of TNG where the plots became much deeper and more profound, with serious questions of morality that were not present before.

SCFinfan
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2017, 12:28:55 pm »

They are, in order of release:

The Motion Picture
The Wrath of Khan
The Search for Spock
The Voyage Home
The Final Frontier
The Undiscovered Country
Generations
First Contact
Insurrection
Nemesis
Star Trek (2009)
Into Darkness
Beyond

In order of my enjoyment:

Enjoyable:
First Contact
Wrath of Khan
Voyage Home
Undiscovered Country
Into Darkness
Beyond
09 (enough with the origin stories, already - although this one was a twist from previously established canon, so is ok)
Search for Spock (I liked the ending as I am a sap.)

Meh:
Generations
Final Frontier
Insurrection (vomit)
Nemesis

Haven't ever really seen enough of to categorize:
The Motion Picture
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray