Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 04:27:08 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Rank the Star Trek movies.
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Rank the Star Trek movies.  (Read 2547 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2017, 04:36:03 pm »

I'm not going to disparage Trek's importance to TV: It was seminal. 

However the show is not diverse enough by today's standards, in terms of personalities.  There is a crew, but the show really only has 3 characters: Spock, McCoy, and Kirk.  The others aren't involved in any real capacity.

There are some INCREDIBLE episodes of Trek that are among my favorites, but a lot of it doesn't age well and it has a fair amount of turds.  I think that TNG (while also have some turds) is much more even and consistently watchable.

I drink your milkshake!
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2017, 08:17:16 pm »

I think a rewatching of the following TNG episodes...

The Offspring
Darmok
Family

...would make you reconsider some of the groundbreaking aspects of TNG. They approach profound topics (searching for the meaning of life, communication barriers between people, dealing with the aftereffects of severe trauma) in unique ways in these episodes, which is why they're among my favorite TNG's.

The Inner Light - That's the episode I would put up as the best written and most poignant one out of all TNG episodes
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2017, 03:21:23 am »

I recently came to a realization:

I am not a Star Trek fan.  I am a fan of TNG and DS9.

I've seen every episode of TNG, DS9, Voyager, and Enterprise (I have zero interest in TOS).  I've seen eight Star Trek movies.  Neither the upcoming series nor any announcement of new movies hold any interest for me.  Voyager and Enterprise are mediocre at best; there is really only one Star Trek movie that I would say I really liked (First Contact).

I love TNG and DS9 is my single favorite sci-fi show ever.  But the rest is bleh.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #18 on: June 03, 2017, 11:29:56 am »

The Inner Light - That's the episode I would put up as the best written and most poignant one out of all TNG episodes

Omitted from my list only because I had forgotten about that one. As soon as I saw the title, I remembered. That truly is one of the greatest episodes, and one of Patrick Stewart's best acting performances.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #19 on: June 04, 2017, 08:49:25 pm »

If we're talking about great TNG episodes, in addition to those  mentioned, there's one called "Tapestry" that's always called to me.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray