Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:57:33 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Roof Repair Question
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Roof Repair Question  (Read 1112 times)
Cathal
Uber Member

« on: June 05, 2017, 06:05:17 pm »

Hi All,

Long-story short, a drunk driver decided to plow into my concrete garage wall, leaving a little hole. My homeowner's insurance sent out a tarping company to cover the hole in the wall. For whatever reason, the tarp was placed on the roof of my garage. Since sand bags weren't used, the roof is now punctured with probably 40 some odd holes in probably a 20 foot x 20 foot area (I haven't done an actual count, basically a quarter of the garage roof is covered).

I have asked 5 different roofers what should be done and to get quotes on the job. Remember, insurance is paying for this so there is no need to take short-cuts. The roof is probably 10 to 11 years old. I'm not looking to screw over the insurance company, but I don't want an easy fix that might cause problems in the future.

Three of the five roofers said I should tell them I'll need a brand new roof. That is roughly 1900 sq. ft. of roof.

The other two roofers said that they would take up 2 to 3 shingles around each hole, basically plug the hole below it, re-seat the shingles, and plug those holes. They would plug it with some kind of cement that could last longer than the rest of the shingles, so it wouldn't be a problem. The only issue they said could happen is by ripping up those shingles and then putting them back down, it could make the roof less protected than before because they have disturbed the area.

I initially thought that replacing the entire roof was a bit drastic, but maybe it really isn't. I really want it all fixed in time just in case we actually get a hurricane coming our way.

What is everyone's thoughts and opinions on this?

Thanks.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2017, 08:04:18 am »

My luck,I'd patch it,and within 6 months I'd have some sort of storm damage and end up replacing the entire roof. Cheesy ok ,ok,I'll be more serious...

Being in the middle of the country,living in an old house,my thoughts are probably different. Severe storms,and ice storms in the winter (2 -3 in the past 15-20 yrs) plays a factor.Around here it's common practice to leave the old roof on,and put a new layer of shingles over them,so a roof might have 3-4 layers of shingles.How many trees are near the house,that could cause damage to the roof.So your weather,and things it's had to deal with the in the past 10 yrs might affect your decision.

I'd replace the whole roof,If it was an older house,and I was really happy with the house that I planned to live in for at least the next 10-15yrs. Chances being I'm going to have to replace the whole roof in that time period.Most shingles life 20-30yrs,especially on older houses,where the roof was probably replaced at some time.

Newer house,might have better products (better water proof membranes,instead of old felt paper),less chance of "other" damage not seen by other events.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 08:07:57 am by DaLittle B » Logged

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2017, 09:15:00 am »

Have you spoken to the company about an entire roof replacement? They may not want to cover that, so you can't put the cart ahead of the horse.

The only options I see are the patch work, replacing the entire roof, or depending on if the tarp is only on one side of the peak replacing that side only (then you have the issue of a roof that is two different ages but it is cheaper).

Obviously replacing the entire roof is optimal but I'm not sure an insurance adjuster is going to go for that if you just have a 20' x 20' (and it really is just nail holes so the actual damage is much smaller) issue. Best of luck.
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2017, 10:52:03 am »

Thanks for the replies.

I didn't want to forward both estimates over to the insurance company because they would, in my opinion, just choose the cheapest one more than likely, which would just be some patch work. I was originally concerned that if the 1st 3 roofers said the entire roof should be replaced, and the next 2 only said patching is OK, what was actually the correct method.

Thanks!

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2017, 11:04:01 am »

Insist on getting the new roof. He hit your house so you don't need to take a loss because of it.  I'd seek an attorney if they refuse.  It should be fairly easy to get roofing opinions to back you up.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2017, 11:05:50 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 01:21:51 pm »

Definitely get the hole roof done.  I have a ten year old roof and am starting to deal with some leaks on two parts of my roofs that have very little pitch.  You can't see any holes but water is finding a way in through small holes somewhere.  If it's patched it may be alright for a short while but those holes can open back up.  Plus the integrity of the overall roof could cause concern.
Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 01:24:00 pm »

That's my main concern, is that by lifting up shingles and patching up the area, that it would cause it to be less secure than before.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray