Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 04:27:47 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  The new NBA era: players as GMs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print
Author Topic: The new NBA era: players as GMs  (Read 13231 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2017, 07:15:32 am »

At any given point during the '80s, there were at most three teams with a serious chance to win the title.
One team won 6 titles in the '90s.
The '80s and '90s are considered the most successful and important era in NBA history.

A top-heavy NBA is not a problem.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #46 on: June 15, 2017, 09:03:30 am »

Every single person who is saying "the NBA is only two teams" is throwing out the first half of this decade, so I am merely using the same standard.

Perhaps the quest for determining the truth should hold itself to a higher standard?

Just sayin'...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #47 on: June 15, 2017, 01:26:13 pm »

So why are players criticized for playing on a team that's no less stacked than some of the '80s teams?  Answer: because the players have figured out that they are better GMs than most of the GMs.

I don't think the current two or three year dominance of the Dubs and Cleveland are that big of a deal, it's mostly just media hype.  As stated the Bulls were dominate for a period with Jordan, The Celtics were dominant in the 60's & 80's.  Things could change very quickly at Golden State if all the players want to get paid and they can't fit it under the cap (Curry is grossly underpaid).  The Celtics are poised for another resurgence in the next couple years if things go right.  There's already talk of Lebron leaving for L.A. in two years.  I think the current criticism of the players is just because it's all new to the way things have been done.  My only question is are any rules being broken or flouted by players "colluding" to play for a certain team??  For example in the NFL a team is breaking major rules by speaking with another team's players while they are under contract.  Is there a similar rule in the NBA that would apply to team GM's, but not players, and they are thereby circumventing the rules??
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #48 on: June 15, 2017, 02:28:03 pm »

I could be mistaken but I believe that the rule does also apply to players.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #49 on: June 15, 2017, 03:02:30 pm »

I could be mistaken but I believe that the rule does also apply to players.

It does not in the NFL.  It really would be an impossible rule that no player union would accept.  Rule that Adam Gase can't talk to Tom Brady sure.  Rule that Tanehill can't talk to Tom Brady problematic.  Rule that Eric Winston can't take to John Denny illegal.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #50 on: June 15, 2017, 03:18:28 pm »

It really would be an impossible rule that no player union would accept. 

Well apparently the NBA player's union did.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #51 on: June 15, 2017, 06:23:28 pm »

I think you're mistaken.  Players have no ability to offer other players a job, so I'm unsure how they could possibly tamper with another player's contract.

It's tampering when management does it because management has the ability to execute that plan.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #52 on: June 15, 2017, 07:24:26 pm »

I think you're mistaken.  Players have no ability to offer other players a job, so I'm unsure how they could possibly tamper with another player's contract.

It's tampering when management does it because management has the ability to execute that plan.

The only way they could is if they were acting as the agent of management, which really wouldn't be too far fetched.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #53 on: June 16, 2017, 08:33:48 am »

The only way they could is if they were acting as the agent of management, which really wouldn't be too far fetched.

...and nearly impossible to prove. Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #54 on: June 16, 2017, 09:08:04 am »

Just google it rather than question. FYI, I already did.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #55 on: June 16, 2017, 09:09:46 am »

It is not worded so that any management duties are involved. The discussion itself is against the rules. Enticement is the key to the NBA while the NFL looks specifically at contract talks.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 09:11:49 am by Phishfan » Logged
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #56 on: June 16, 2017, 09:13:29 am »

...and nearly impossible to prove. Wink

Basically you just have to look at twitter feeds, press statements, etc. It is easy to find the cases of it but the NBA doesn't go too heavy on enforcement.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #57 on: June 16, 2017, 02:12:42 pm »

Basically you just have to look at twitter feeds, press statements, etc. It is easy to find the cases of it but the NBA doesn't go too heavy on enforcement.

If done via twitter and press statements.  If done as a one on one phone call....very difficult.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #58 on: June 16, 2017, 05:57:51 pm »

Sure they couldn't officially hire them, but the whole point of your OP is "players as GM's" - so are you now refuting your own original post that the players acted as GM's?Huh
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #59 on: June 16, 2017, 10:09:06 pm »

I was referring primarily to players coordinating to choose where they themselves go.  Obviously it's impossible to tamper with yourself.

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray