Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:43:45 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  The new NBA era: players as GMs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print
Author Topic: The new NBA era: players as GMs  (Read 13111 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2017, 09:56:49 am »

I was referring primarily to players coordinating to choose where they themselves go. 

I don't have a problem with that in the least.  Most of the time players go where they will get the most money.  But players sometimes have other motivation such as better chance to win, a system/coach that better fits them, play for the team grew up rooting for, being close to family, weather in home city, etc.  Adam V left NE for the Colts because he liked kicking indoors rather than NE winters.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #61 on: June 18, 2017, 10:04:43 am »

I was referring primarily to players coordinating to choose where they themselves go. 

That is a good try but evidence suggests otherwise.

And it wasn't Bob Myers (Warriors' GM) who brought KD to Oakland.  That was Draymond and Steph.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #62 on: June 18, 2017, 03:34:14 pm »

Two different discussions are being conflated.  One is whether players are successfully coordinating their landing spots with other players they want to play with; the second is whether players are "tampering" with contracts.  Unless you're saying that a Bob Myers-driven KD signing would have been "tampering" by the Warriors' GM, KD is not a good example to cite in a tampering discussion.

But if it helps, I'll clarify: I am referring to players coordinating to choose who they are playing with.  That includes both what team you sign with and who signs on your team.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2017, 03:35:46 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #63 on: June 19, 2017, 09:39:20 am »

Unless you're saying that a Bob Myers-driven KD signing would have been "tampering" by the Warriors' GM, KD is not a good example to cite in a tampering discussion.

You are wrong here. As I already pointed out, the NBA anti-tampering rules have nothing to do with contracts and is all about the discussion itself. Green's statement about calling Durant from the parking lot after game 7 was before Durant was allowed to speak with teams or even other players about moving there. That by the rules is tampering and likely why Durant came out so emphatically saying Green did not call him on that day.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray