Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 11:36:35 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  80s Saturday morning cartoons
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: 80s Saturday morning cartoons  (Read 3380 times)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2017, 04:48:46 pm »

Hannah Barbara had some great cartoons and even did mash-ups along with the Laugh Olympics. 

I still occasionally will play the intro theme and video for the great Hanna Barbera show "The Banana Splits," another one of my favorite Saturday morning shows as a kid. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juJpyUkHPCA

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2017, 05:03:35 pm »

It's funny that you guys mention watching these after-school.  Many of these cartoons were not technically "Saturday morning," but were syndicated and usually ran from 3-5PM.  I saw a related video that explained the death of Saturday morning cartoons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cpUDtW1cV8

There were a bunch of causes, but the main ones were:

1) Cable networks like Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, and Cartoon Network having kids' shows available 24/7
2) New regulations in 1996 restricting advertising to 10 minutes per half-hour of (broadcast) kids' programming
3) Sports and/or news programming providing a bigger bang for the production dollar (especially considering point #2)

As a point of comparison, the contract that NBC signed with Notre Dame to broadcast college football cost them, on a weekly basis, about a third of what producing the cartoons in that slot did... and selling advertising for beer and cars is a lot more lucrative than advertising for toys and cereal.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2017, 05:05:14 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2017, 05:12:03 pm »

^^^ But is Notre Dame football really the same slot as the cartoons? Football starts at noon (roughly), as I kid I remember being done with cartoons by then.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2017, 06:59:16 pm »

On the west coast, that's cartoon time.  On the east coast, you'd get the aforementioned news first (which is definitely cheaper than either).

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2017, 09:40:22 pm »

Yeah. I sometimes forget about you left coasters
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2017, 01:57:56 pm »

Yep...loved both of those. Also, shows like Scooby Doo, Johnny Quest, The Flintstones, Underdog, Captain Caveman...even Spiderman had a cool cartoon back then.

I was a 70's cartoon kid, so this list is what I watched.  Loved Johnny Quest, also always watched Fat Albert (seems like that was on Sunday though).  I don't remember Captain Caveman.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray