Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:22:45 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Landry Remains Unsigned?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Landry Remains Unsigned?  (Read 3056 times)
VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« on: June 21, 2017, 09:41:04 am »

So the guy makes amazing catches (very Beckham like). Led the team the last 3 years in receptions and made 2 Pro Bowls... so why hasn't he been offered anything? Yes, he's super cheap right now, but if contract talks fail, it could make him sour on the Dolphins and leave. Sometimes I think the Dolphins just like to find ways to make things difficult.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/19688179/jarvis-landy-yet-receive-contract-offer-miami-dolphins-according-agent

As a non-dolphin fan, what am i missing? Why isn't he 'your guy'?

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 09:53:12 am »

I think what you are missing is whatever the big picture is. I seriously doubt the Dolphins are going to let Landry walk. For whatever reason, they just aren't making the move yet. If it comes to it they will use the Franshise Tage as a way of getting him under a new longer term deal. I'm not stressed about it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 10:25:51 am »

Landry is okay with it, he knows a deal will get done.  Why are you concerned?
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 11:07:09 am »

I disagree that Landry isn't bothered by it. He just said he will not work on a new contract during the season ... setting a timeline for them to get it done now. I agree it is kind of frustrating to see them treat one of their best players like this. If he gets hit with a franchise tag it will be the first time I feel bad for the player. Even with a few dumb mental penalties ... Landry has been the heart of this team the last few years and is one of the best receivers in the league.  If he gets hurt he is screwed with nothing to show for it other than his $893,852 salary for the year.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 11:34:18 am »

I disagree that Landry isn't bothered by it. He just said he will not work on a new contract during the season ... setting a timeline for them to get it done now. I agree it is kind of frustrating to see them treat one of their best players like this. If he gets hit with a franchise tag it will be the first time I feel bad for the player. Even with a few dumb mental penalties ... Landry has been the heart of this team the last few years and is one of the best receivers in the league.  If he gets hurt he is screwed with nothing to show for it other than his $893,852 salary for the year.

Landry has come out and said he isn't bothered by it.

The Dolphins surprisingly haven’t yet made an offer to receiver Jarvis Landry on a contract extension, but he will not hold out of training camp or hold out during the regular season if a deal isn’t struck before then, his agent Damarius Bilbo told me this week.

Bilbo also revealed that he and Landry will not negotiate a new deal once the regular season starts. They’re open to any discussions with the Dolphins before then.

Though Landry would love a new deal at the right price, Bilbo said Landry – who can be an unrestricted free agent after this season - will “absolutely not” be angry if no deal is reached.

Landry has one year left on his contract that will pay him $893,850 this season, less money than at least 100 other NFL receivers will earn in 2017.

“The ball is still in their court; we are happy to go into a fourth year healthy and eager to put another year in the books,” Bilbo said, adding that Landry would love to spend the rest of his career as a Dolphin.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article157106519.html#storylink=cpy

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article157106519.html
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 12:03:20 pm »

I saw that too but he originally said he wasn't setting a deadline and then went and did it.  I can't remember if it was Landry himself or one of the sports writers but I remember a tweet saying he wasn't happy that Miami didn't seem interested in even discussing it.  Soon afterwards his agent set a deadline.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2017, 06:52:14 pm »

Sometimes I think the Dolphins just like to find ways to make things difficult.

I'm a big believer that this team tends to exacerbate its problems,then shoot itself in the foot,before they address the problem.

It doesn't surprise me at all they haven't signed him,I also wonder how much he thinks is a fair deal vs what the team thinks is fair...

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2017, 09:20:30 pm »

I saw somewhere they haven't even discussed money so I don't think it's that.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 01:35:19 pm »

Three problems I see with this:

1) Even if Landry says he isn't bothered by this, he IS bothered by this.

2) Waiting a year is going to cost the Dolphins a lot more money, or they will lose him to free agency.

3) It sends a bad message to other players in the league, If Miami won't take care of it's Pro Bowl players, then why would they want to come play for Miami?
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2017, 02:43:22 pm »

Three problems I see with this:

1) Even if Landry says he isn't bothered by this, he IS bothered by this.

2) Waiting a year is going to cost the Dolphins a lot more money, or they will lose him to free agency.

3) It sends a bad message to other players in the league, If Miami won't take care of it's Pro Bowl players, then why would they want to come play for Miami?

1)  That's like, your opinion man.  Seriously, you don't know this for a fact, purely conjecture, and I think you're projecting your feelings on the matter, not what Landry might think.  So far, Landry has said nothing about being upset about contracts, he has been a true professional and one of the few players that has a true passion for the game where it's not ALL about money.
2)  This might actually SAVE them money.  They are paying him his rookie contract until they reach a new deal.  The money they can save by waiting a bit to pay him might save them in cap space in the long run, but even if they don't reach a deal by the end of this year, they can franchise tag him until a deal is in place next year.   
3)  You saying this makes zero sense.  They have been taking care of their players.  You can't read an article about Miami without them mentioning the phins retaining key, core players.  It sends no message to the league, other than play through your contract, and if you perform you are rewarded.  Reshad Jones is the prime example of this, they took care of him, just not on his time table.  They told him play through the year he was going to hold out, and we'll pay you.  He did, and they did.  Landry hasn't even got to that point yet, they're still in negotiations. 

Miami will take care of him, this isn't the same group of fuck ups in years past.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 02:52:54 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2017, 03:43:18 pm »

Maybe Landry wants to be a free agent.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2017, 04:00:10 pm »

I'm sure he wants to be traded to the 49ers, you know, so he has a legitimate chance of winning a Super Bowl.

Bwahahahahahaha...I couldn't even type that with a straight keyboard!

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2017, 04:48:33 pm »

To ease your mind...

https://www.thephinsider.com/2017/6/22/15847954/jarvis-landry-miami-dolphins-contract-extension-deadline-hold-out
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2017, 08:36:11 pm »

I'm sure he wants to be traded to the 49ers, you know, so he has a legitimate chance of winning a Super Bowl.

Bwahahahahahaha...I couldn't even type that with a straight keyboard!

We don't know.  Maybe his plan is to go to the Saints first chance he gets so he can be near his home.  Maybe his plan is to play for whatever team gives him the best chance at a ring.  Maybe he wants to stay in Miami.  We don't know,

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 10:36:21 am »

He has said numerous times he doesn't and wants to stay in Miami
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray