Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:51:10 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Modern Convenience that is more trouble than it's worth?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Modern Convenience that is more trouble than it's worth?  (Read 3703 times)
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« on: June 21, 2017, 12:01:01 pm »

I saw counter top dishwasher posted on Slickdeals on Amazon for $170,I'd never knew they made a counter top dishwasher,as I've never thought of buying one.For the past few years,my Mom,and "wife" (add my current friends w/benefits) have nagged at me I really should look into a portable dishwasher.My response was I don't want to spend a lot of money for something I have ZERO space for.

I've not lived in a house with a working dish washing machine (My father's houses as a kid ,a month in the summer+a week or so every other Christmas,but I didn't have chores.)
Long story short,I watched reviews online,etc.I decided not to buy one,for the simplest feeling it's more trouble than it's worth.

It takes 45 mins to an hour plus to run a cycle,I don't spend an hour washing all my dishes through the day.I wash my breakfast plate,and use it typically for lunch,then wash it again.I probably use the same plate for dinner.
Add they should be pre rinsed (not too mention, I'd still have to scrub my pots and pans),and I'd have to buy extra soap,and drying agent stuff.(I'd also have to buy another faucet to use it,as I have pull down sprayer faucet).

I'd put a cell phone in the category of not worth the trouble about 85% of the time also.

What modern conveniences do you feel isn't really worth the trouble?

PS- Yes, I do get the hotter water of the dishwasher,and the food safety issues with a dishwasher.I had to take a few classes on it when I worked in the restaurant industry in the 90's
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 12:12:39 pm by DaLittle B » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2017, 12:28:48 pm »

I can see not having a dishwasher if you don't have kids and live a more simple dining lifestyle.  It's just not something we could do without -- kids use so many plates and cups and my wife cooks and it dirties up a lot.  We definitely find it more convenient than not.

One thing:
Diaper Genie -- it's this special pail to put diapers in that wraps them up like a sausage -- cuts down on stinky diaper pail.  Lots of new parents have them as gifts.  They're nice, but it's a pain in the ass, because you have to get special refils for it, and it doesn't even make it any easier -- you just delay taking out the garbage until it's a huge turd-sausage.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017, 12:47:46 pm »

One I am recently dealing with, rice cookers. I don't see any advantage. Just use a pot.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2017, 01:02:40 pm »

I'm a wash-by-hand kind of guy... In my last apartment, I had a dishwasher, and I used it once in the two years I lived there.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2017, 02:50:45 pm »

A dishwasher is not necessary for a bachelor.
It is absolutely essential for a family (unless you just make the kids do the dishes).

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2017, 01:51:16 pm »

When I remodeled my kitchen a couple years ago I had a dishwasher put in, I use it maybe twice a month; but I'm a bachelor.  I could see the usefulness if I had a whole family.

The convenience item that is troublesome for me is my George Foreman Grill.  The one I have (which is probably at least ten years old) has only one cooking temperature, so it tends to burn some things.  Then the cooking plates aren't removable so it's a pain to clean.

On the converse my favorite useful item is my countertop oven.  In the four years I've had it I've probably used my regular oven a dozen times, if that.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 08:43:48 pm »

Dishwasher is more trouble than worth.

My nieces have battery powered lollipop spinners.  Seems a bit pointless, but they love them.

My newest fan has a remote, I have no idea why.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 10:12:48 pm »

Keurig coffee machines.  You have to keep them filled with water at all times, and clean the lines constantly or the machine will become an useless pile of junk.  Plus K-cups are expensive as all get out.  I still use the plain ol' coffeepot every morning. 

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 09:36:31 am »

Keurig coffee machines.  You have to keep them filled with water at all times, and clean the lines constantly or the machine will become an useless pile of junk.  Plus K-cups are expensive as all get out.  I still use the plain ol' coffeepot every morning. 

I've got some neighbors that love theirs. They order the cups online in bulk (and it is some off brand I think) so they save some money. The thing they like about it, they only drink one cup so why deal with the waste of making a whole pot and they always have it fresh since their schedules are different.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 10:54:13 am »

I'm completely the opposite.  It's the sole reason I drink coffee.

All of the things you're saying about them are false, aside from the cost.

You have to fill a traditional coffee pot literally every time you use it.  You only refill the Kuerig if it runs out.  For a single coffee drinker, that's probably once a week.  As for cleaning the lines, I've had one for several years and did a thorough cleaning one time with vinegar and stuff.

That said, I want to get away from the Kuerig.  It's costly, as you mention (though you can use a little filter and use regular coffee).  But the amount of waste that you create for a single cup of coffee is pretty bad.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 11:18:05 am »

Dave, Costco sells "K-Cup" coffee that is basically just grounds, a filter, a paper lid and a small plastic ring:

It's not perfect but it's a significant improvement.  And it's the cheapest coffee Costco sells!  I'm not sure if it's a regional offering, though.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 01:30:52 pm »

I miss my Keurig so much...I used the reusable filter, with some good Gevalia coffee, and my mornings were always blissfully caffeinated.

Now I go to a local cafe and sit on the patio for $4 per cup. Coffee is good, but not as good as the cups I made for myself.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 05:37:15 pm »

Yeah, I don't use my dishwasher much. Maybe 2-3 times a month. Hell, I rinse and/or wash plates and utensil over and over and use the same ones for a few days.

The convenience item that is troublesome for me is my George Foreman Grill.  The one I have (which is probably at least ten years old) has only one cooking temperature, so it tends to burn some things.  Then the cooking plates aren't removable so it's a pain to clean.
I agree here also. I have an old small one that's probably 15 years old. It does OK but it's not worth trying to clean it to use it. If I want a steak I can use a cast iron pan and/or broil in the oven and get just as good if not better results. One thing I do use the Foreman Grill for is grilled cheese or other grilled type sanwiches. I just spray the bread with butter flavor Pam and go from there. In that case it's as easy as wiping off with a damp paper towel. 

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 05:44:21 pm »

Dave, Costco sells "K-Cup" coffee that is basically just grounds, a filter, a paper lid and a small plastic ring:

It's not perfect but it's a significant improvement.  And it's the cheapest coffee Costco sells!  I'm not sure if it's a regional offering, though.
That's still too expensive. This is the shit right here!

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 08:20:27 pm »

Yeah, the refillable K-cups are definitely more cost-effective AND environmentally friendly, but they are annoying to clean.

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray