Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:21:59 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  How/When did your fandom start?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: How/When did your fandom start?  (Read 2886 times)
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2017, 08:28:10 am »

Mine started with the Epic in Miami in 1982. I was 13, we were getting live broadcasts of the NFL playoffs early morning here in Australia - there were some memorable games that series, The Catch at Candlestick Park, the Freezer Bowl at Cincinatti, but the overtime Dolphins Chargers game was the one that really captured my attention....

A year later and the Dolphins marching to the Super Bowl and that was it, they were my team. Before the game I thought the Redskins would be too strong in XVII, but I admired the way the Killer B's kept us in it until the last quarter - oh, and that kick return by Fulton Walker, still my favorite Super Bowl moment ever.

A year later came Marino and the emergence of the Marks Brothers, another contender and a genuinely fun team to watch, although the later half of the 80s were a disappointment as at first the Pats, then the Colts, and then the Bills overtook us...

The early '90s brought new enthusiasm, and by that stage I was buying/importing jerseys and stuff directly from the team sales department: ah, the old pre-internet days where it was all done by fax and long distance phone calls! An expensive exercise, but through those calls I became friends with Willard, sent some Australian Grand Prix merchandise in return. He was a Miami U graduate, so naturally I became a Hurricanes fan, and about the same time some of their games were televised here in Australia too. Over the first half of that decade it seemed like Miami had bridged the gap to the Bills and seemed poised for a genuine tilt at the Super Bowl again, regular season games were being televised here. Good times and great memories!

Very cool story.  I always wondered how you became a fan from "down under".   
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2017, 12:40:12 pm »

I always feel guilty because I have no real story when people ask. I've just always been a fan I guess.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2017, 03:39:13 pm »

Always just rooted for Patriots, Red Sox, Bruins and Celtics being they are local. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2017, 08:34:51 pm »

Grew up watching the Bears as I lived in Illinois, but they were always bad then, so I started to watch other teams. Since the Dolphins were perennial playoff contenders I started to notice them. When Marino joined the team and I moved to the Dallas area in 1984, I gave up on the Bears and became just a Dolphins fan. Been hard core Dolphins fan ever since.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
doctord56
Uber Member

first dolphin game attended 11/6/66 bills29 fins 0

« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 11:52:02 pm »

I was 9 years old in 1966, growing up in Miami, during the first season. Those were the days of Dick Wood, George Wilson Jr, and Joe Auer, long forgotten names. I watched them get clobbered by KC, Buffalo, and Oakland, but I loved having a home team to root for. I was in junior high when Shula came along, and things got a lot better, and in high school in the magical 72 year, and dad had season tickets and we went to every home game. It was a great time, and though I know longer live in Miami, I'll always be a fan through the good and bad.

A loyal fan of the 'fins since the time of Joe Auer, Dick Wood, and Wahoo McDaniel.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2017, 11:19:17 am »

I was 9 years old in 1966, growing up in Miami, during the first season. Those were the days of Dick Wood, George Wilson Jr, and Joe Auer, long forgotten names. I watched them get clobbered by KC, Buffalo, and Oakland, but I loved having a home team to root for. I was in junior high when Shula came along, and things got a lot better, and in high school in the magical 72 year, and dad had season tickets and we went to every home game. It was a great time, and though I know longer live in Miami, I'll always be a fan through the good and bad.

I've always wondered about that 72 team.  They obviously had the best record in the league and therefore would've earned home field advantage throughout the playoffs.   Then why was the AFC title game played in Pittsburgh?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2017, 06:11:17 am by BuccaneerBrad » Logged

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2017, 11:27:54 am »

...They odorous had the best record in the league...

Freudian slip? Wink

I've always wondered about that 72 team.  They odorous had the best record in the league and therefore would've earned home field advantage throughout the playoffs.   Then why was the AFC title game played in Pittsburgh?

Because, in 1972, the NFL didn't base home playoff games on winning percentage. It was on a rotating divisional plan at the time, and the AFC North had the home field over the AFC East that season.

The NFL changed the rules to their current system a few years later, in 1975.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 11:15:10 pm »

Freudian slip? Wink

Because, in 1972, the NFL didn't base home playoff games on winning percentage. It was on a rotating divisional plan at the time, and the AFC North had the home field over the AFC East that season.

The NFL changed the rules to their current system a few years later, in 1975.

Another reason that 1972 team was so damn good that some people conveniently forget about. You win every game of the year (most with your backup quarterback) and then have to front up against a future NFL dynasty in the AFC championship game on THEIR turf!

Seems so ridiculous now, but that's the way it was back then.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2017, 11:34:37 am »

I was born in Miami Springs and moved up to PA when I was a baby, but have been a fan since I was about 6-7 and can remember watching the NFL

My parents met in Miami in the early 60's and where there when they became an AFL franchise in 1966.  Dad said he remember Burger King giving away tickets (Miami was, don't know if still is, the HQ for BK) when they first started in order to get fans to the Orange Bowl.

My first game I can remember as a kid was Griese leading the Phins to an ass-whooping of the Cardinals on Thanksgiving Day in 1977 6 TDs for Griese that day.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray