Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:49:46 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Mail-order recipes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mail-order recipes  (Read 1457 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: July 03, 2017, 02:56:36 pm »

Have any of you tried this?  Hello Fresh, Plated, Blue Apron, etc.

My wife and I have just started messing with it.  It's pretty cool.  They mail you all of the ingredients (already measured out and only what you need) to make the meal.  Everything is pretty gourmet and delicious.

My wife says that she likes how it teaches you to use new ingredients or make things in different ways that you can incorporate into future cooking.

We're still figuring out whether it's cost effective (it's more than groceries, obviously, but you don't have to waste by buying full bottles of something, only to use 2 oz) and how many meals per week fit our life.

I'd like to know if anyone else had success.

I drink your milkshake!
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2017, 07:35:56 am »

I've been pondering doing this recently,I've got multiple coupons for free week,or (blue apron gave me a $30 coupon in my monoprice order) to sign up.I cook for my Mom nightly,and she's Diabetic with a bad heart,so trying to find things to cook becomes challenging.

I thought it would be a good idea for 2 nights a week type thing.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2017, 10:12:35 am »

I don't see the point.  I don't throw out the remaining olive oil if I only use two ounces, I stick the bottle in the pantry.

Yeah there can be left overs you need to figure out..but that can be fun.   I made a strawberry cake which left me with left over strawberries....so I bought chocolate to make chocolate covered strawberries,,,,this led to left over chocolate which led to somores ....today's challenge left over marshmallows....oh the horror

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 12:11:33 pm »

I'm with you on everything but the somores, yuck.

I like the idea of having the recipe sent to the house but the idea of spending more than I would just grocery shopping I can't get behind. Since Dave is our resident Frugal February guy, I'm a bit surprised he is going this route. Like Hoodie said, if you have leftover ingredients just find another recipe to use them in.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 02:17:02 pm »

My niece seems to be having a very good time with it.  She's doing a mix of getting the meals, but then also trying to re-create the meals afterwards with traditional groceries.

It's mostly about expanding your cooking vocabulary (that sounds douchey, but whatever.)

For me, it keeps my wife interested in cooking and I get to eat delicious, interesting, new foods a few times a week, so it's working so far.

I think the key is figuring out the correct amount of meals so that they don't start backlogging.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray