Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 05:22:15 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Movie Review: Independence Day: Resurgence
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Movie Review: Independence Day: Resurgence  (Read 1517 times)
VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« on: July 05, 2017, 12:20:54 pm »

Being a holiday weekend, I had time to watch a few movies. I'm a huge fan of the first ID, but I was so disappointed with this one.

Premise: 20 years have passed since the aliens were defeated. They return, bigger than ever, to destroy mankind and drain the Earth’s resources.

Review:  This movie was just plain bad. The opening sequence was just silly and pointless (even though I imagine it was to introduce us to some of the main characters). This attempt fell flat as this group of alien fighters just didn’t have the same depth and charisma as the original cast. Not to say the original cast didn’t make their appearances, they just didn’t have the screen time to make an impact on the movie. They even brought one original character back from the dead and gave him a gay lover. No, not Will Smith, he actually made the right choice by not doing this movie, but without his star power, there was no one to 'lift' this movie and make it memorable.

Meanwhile, over the past 20 years, humans have been utilizing the alien tech in their daily lives. In this advancement, they have built new defense mechanisms to prevent a future attack. These systems fail. The aliens, on the other hand, haven’t changed anything in 20 years but update some software???  This allows the new ragtag team to hijack alien ships during the fight. It just seems improbable that after being defeated, the aliens don’t adapt at all!?!? 20 years and nothing? Even my phone changes every year…

Additionally, the ‘queen’ has her own portable shield, similar to the ones that protect the alien fleet and fighters. Except, for some reason, shooting it enough times breaks the shield. Where was this in the first movie? Would have ended the conflict much quicker. I basically think they wrote themselves into a corner and had to figure out a way for the fight to end so.. hey.. why not just shoot it enough till it breaks.

Something not brought up in the first movie, some humans 'connected' with the aliens. Can still 'feel' them, 'hear and see' their thoughts. Yet, they were unable to prepare for this second attack? They were, however, able to use the mental link to help fight??? None of this was crucial to the flow of the movie and could have been completely removed. It may have actually aided the movie and helped to make other issues with the film less obvious.

SPOILER ALERT:  This movie had a twist. We aren’t alone in the universe! A new lifeform, pushed to extinction by these same aliens have come to Earth to help us fight. And as primitive as we humans may be, we impress this lifeform with our strategy and ability to win multiple battles. We are asked to not only join a universal rebellion, but lead it.

Really, they were trying to ride the hype of the anniversary of the original, bring back a couple loved characters and make a quick buck. Even the ‘join the universe’s fight against evil aliens’ is just an opportunity to expand the ID4 universe and make more movies.

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2017, 02:09:25 pm »

I think that I'm in the minority of people that think the first ID isn't very good.

The first act of the film is so amazing, but it gets silly fast and is just dumb by the end.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2017, 02:39:59 pm »

I'm with you Dave, minority or not.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 03:27:57 pm »

I think that I'm in the minority of people that think the first ID isn't very good.

The first act of the film is so amazing, but it gets silly fast and is just dumb by the end.
I'm with you Dave, minority or not.

What...is...this...blasphemy?!?  Un-American I tells ya!

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2017, 05:01:53 pm »

Most things with Will Smith aren't very good, LMAO.

VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2017, 05:27:31 pm »

^ah c'mon:

Men in Black
iRobot
Hancock
Fresh Prince of Bel Air

I enjoy most of his work.

We'll just pretend Wild Wild West never happened.

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2017, 04:39:21 pm »

^ah c'mon:

Men in Black
iRobot
Hancock
Fresh Prince of Bel Air

I enjoy most of his work.

We'll just pretend Wild Wild West never happened.
iRobot was OK and I am Legend was good. Everything else is garbage.

VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2017, 05:20:46 pm »

Oh, i forgot about I am Legend. I liked it too.  I think it should have stuck to the comic book ending, but I liked it.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray