Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 02:53:59 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Men taking over Women's sports
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print
Author Topic: Men taking over Women's sports  (Read 18472 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: July 18, 2017, 10:00:00 am »

I'm curious as to how a lot of you feel about this. I know the conservative side is typically against the whole transgender thing but I'm curious as to how many of you view the trend. Trans gender "women" seem to be dominating in many sports these days. Transgenders dominate in weightlifting, track, wrestling, football, basketball, mixed martial arts and others. Do you think that is fair or are you ok with a man being "woman of the year" and champion of a woman's sport? What are your thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 10:02:08 am by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2017, 11:07:07 am »

At first thought, it doesn't seem fair to me that transgenders would be able to compete in certain levels of women's sports.  Other stuff, I wouldn't care, like if it's not competitive sports -- intramural stuff or city leagues or whatever.

But, I admit that I'm not entirely briefed on what it means to be transgender, in terms of your body chemistry.  I don't have a problem with the fact that you are transgender; I just don't want there to be an inherent competitive advantage.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2017, 11:55:11 am »

I don't know that transgender women are "dominating" in sports.  I don't know of any transgender WNBA MVPs or Grand Slam (golf or tennis) champions, there aren't any transgender women's champions in UFC, Bellator, or Invicta, I've never even heard of a competitive woman's football league, etc.

I think that like most instances of transgender discussion, there is a lot of commotion about unlikely outcomes.  Just like with the bathrooms, where we're supposed to believe that there is a real danger that men will transition to the life of a women just to be next to a stall where a female is pooping, we are also supposed to be wary that there will be a flood (or maybe the flood is already here, according to OP?) of men pretending to be women in all aspects of their life just so that they can dominate over women in sports... and be ostracized as cheaters and frauds.

The motive doesn't make sense.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2017, 01:24:09 pm »

So you hand pick a few things Spider, that doesn't mean transgender women are not competing in sports and winning championships. One main reason there hasn't been one in UFC is because, from what I know, Dana White has said he would not allow the only competitor I know of to compete.

There was an undefeated Texas wrestler who won the state championship, a sprinter who won two state titles in Connecticut (and from the photo I saw she had a better mustache than I did in high school), and a weightlifter who won an Australian International competition, all within the past year.

I personally think sports such as these puts other athletes at a competitive disadvantage. I definitely see a problem with physical competitions such as these. I do not however see where an advantage would lie in non-contact events such as billiards, bowling, darts, etc.

(Modified for an obvious typo)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2017, 07:48:15 pm by Phishfan » Logged
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2017, 02:16:10 pm »

Undecided I've never really gave it a lot of consideration,my initial thought when reading this was about Real sports with Bryant Gumbel story (lastyear?) of the Asian track athlete being banned from competing. Her competitors felt she looked too male,had hairy armpits,and the Country she was in banned her from competing.

I don't feel like there is 1 blanket rule that would work for all situations,IE: Saying NEVER can any form of transgender,hermaphrodite,compete in this sport,or another.

The "No"'s they shouldn't be allowed to compete,are fairly obvious.A great boys high school basketball player,2 years into a college career that is failing,gets gender reassignment surgery,then tries compete as a women's basketball...

I think the tricky cases,are the effed up parents that raised their daughters as boys (or vice versa),then when the kid grows up and finds out.They are dominant in a sport because they're not a girl,but a boy. Either tricked,or born as a hermaphrodite I think it's a case of when did they know,why,etc...Making the decision based upon medical,when,how,etc...

This is the best answer I could give... Tongue

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2017, 03:33:09 pm »

It's clear that nobody is going to go through transgender surgery and hormones specifically to compete in sports, but that's not really what's being suggested.  In cases where there are transgendered athletes, I see how it could give an unfair advantage, because of increased body mass or testosterone or whatever.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2017, 06:10:47 pm »

I am pretty liberal on most things.

But I support a clear policy of a Y chromosome bars you from women only sports.  If you want to chop off your dick you can use the women's bathroom but no compete in women's sports.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2017, 09:27:21 pm »

On transgenderification in general... If an adult wants to get carved on to make himself/herself look like the opposite gender, no problem. A guy wants to get rid of all his genitalia and proclaim himself as an android eunuch? More power to him...it. Where I do have an issue is with parents who don't give firm guidance to young kids and allow them to change genders at a ridiculously young age. I saw a story recently about some baby boy who was born without having his gender specified on his birth certificate, because the parents "want him to make his own choice." What kind of an asshole parent would subject their kid to that kind of self-confusion right at the start of their life?

On transgender athletes competing...  Simple answer, no.  If you're a male athlete who wants to discard your magic johnson and and prance about wearing yoga pants, go for it...but you don't get to compete against the "real" ladies in their sports.

I don't feel like there is 1 blanket rule that would work for all situations,IE: Saying NEVER can any form of transgender,hermaphrodite,compete in this sport,or another.

I wonder if there has ever been a case of a hermaphrodite athlete competing in both men's and women's sports...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2017, 02:31:46 am »

So you hand pick a few things Spider, that doesn't mean transgender women are not competing in sports and winning championships.
The statement offered was that transgendered women are "dominating."  That is clearly not true, as I don't think there is a single transgender champion at the highest level in any sport that was cited.

Now, if you want to say that there are some trans women winning at some levels, sure... there are a few champions here and there at the lower levels of of the sport.  But that is nowhere remotely near "dominating."  Out of the hundreds, if not thousands, of female champions across the globe, a tiny handful are transgender.  They are not "taking over women's sports."
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 02:35:24 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2017, 08:53:53 am »

...we are also supposed to be wary that there will be a flood (or maybe the flood is already here, according to OP?) of men pretending to be women in all aspects of their life just so that they can dominate over women in sports... and be ostracized as cheaters and frauds.

The motive doesn't make sense.

Forget the motives...forget the prevalence. Answer the question. Should a man who goes through gender reassignment to become a female be allowed to compete with the females in sports?

Given the physical advantages that males have over females, the only reason that transgender women are NOT dominating in women's sports on a wider scale is only because the number of transgender athletes is very, very low.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2017, 09:15:58 am »

OK. I'll give you that, but you still haven't weighed in on the reality that there are instances. I'd counter you by asking (and there really is no way to know) how many transgender women have even pursued or been allowed to pursue professional careers in the sports you mention? If they are not trying, there naturally won't be any champions there. In addition to picking apart the title, do you have any thoughts on the fairness of transgender female athletes competing, regardless of the level, against naturally born females?
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2017, 10:32:22 am »

Spider ... Not sure why you took offense to the word "dominating" but I'll change it to it is common to see them win if it makes you feel better. It's only a matter of time before trans men are killing in women pro sports as it seems much more common that the younger crowd is confused about their sex.

A transgender high school athlete beat girls in the Connecticut track state championship Tuesday, but his time would have placed him last in the boys’ race. http://dailycaller.com/2017/06/04/transgender-athlete-beats-girls-but-wouldve-placed-last-against-boys-video/

Andraya Yearwood is a freshman at Cromwell High School. ‘She’ is also a transgender athlete with a mustache and huge muscles who, after previously competing as a boy, has recently begun to compete as a girl.
 ... Yearwood is a transgender athlete who competed for Cromwell as a girl for the first time on April 5, winning both sprints in a tri-meet against Portland and Old Saybrook. The Connecticut Interscholastic Athletic Conference “defers to the determination of the student and his or her local school regarding gender identification,” according to a Hartford Courant story about Yearwood earlier in the year.

Transgender weightlifter Laurel Hubbard, who was born a man, won the Australian international women’s competition March 19.
Hubbard, 39, lifted 591 pounds, nearly 20 pounds more than the woman who won the silver medal by lifting 572 pounds.
Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2017/03/female-athletes-crushed-by-women-who-were-once-men/#oQ1FeaKHTtVzX7ah.99

Transgender cyclist Jillian Bearden, a 36-year-old biological male and Colorado Springs native, won the women’s division of the El Tour de Tucson in four hours and 26 minutes in November 2016.
Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2017/03/female-athletes-crushed-by-women-who-were-once-men/#oQ1FeaKHTtVzX7ah.99

Mack Beggs, 17, was born a girl and reportedly began identifying as a boy at the age of 3. Though Beggs underwent testosterone treatments for more than a year and had the muscle mass of a teenage boy, Beggs competed and took first place in the University Interscholastic League state girls’ championship on Feb. 25, 2016.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2017, 10:57:36 am »

Forget the motives...forget the prevalence. Answer the question. Should a man who goes through gender reassignment to become a female be allowed to compete with the females in sports?

Given the physical advantages that males have over females, the only reason that transgender women are NOT dominating in women's sports on a wider scale is only because the number of transgender athletes is very, very low.

We need a like button. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2017, 11:30:17 am »

Yes.

Of course, my explanation for my answer involves both motives and prevalence.  But if you want a simple binary response, there you go.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2017, 11:53:36 am »

^^^ Thanks... I just happen to think it is cheating. Once I've pretty much decided it is cheating, the motives and prevalence become pretty much meaningless to me.  I don't care why you're cheating, or how many of you are cheating...

It's like Cartman competing in the Special Olympics, but with more dominant results.

~ Micah Leggat
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray