Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:28:26 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Theme Park Ride Review: Flight of Passage - Disney's Animal Kingdom
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Theme Park Ride Review: Flight of Passage - Disney's Animal Kingdom  (Read 1055 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: August 14, 2017, 01:53:14 pm »

I went with my family on Saturday to Animal Kingdom and we planned ahead to see the new Avatar land, Pandora.  We stayed at a Disney hotel, so we were able to get into the park at 8 AM (gates normally open at 9) and go directly to the big ride, Flight of Passage.  Everyone else in Orlando had the same idea.  I got there at about 7AM and it was hella crowded. 

But, we got in and I got in line.  They started people riding at 8AM and I got off the ride at 8:40...probably 25 minutes of waiting.  Throughout the day, the line is a consistent 3-5 hours.  It's nuts.  If you can't go at rope drop or get a fast pass, don't go.  The lines are prohibitive.

The "story" of the ride is pretty impressive and better than most at the various parks.  Avatar gets crapped on a lot for simplicity of story, but you forget how much good lore exists in the IP.  The idea is this: Pandora has been overtaken by humans mining and destroying their environment.  In an attempt to help the ecosystem recover, scientists are studying the banshee, a keystone species (a species that other species in an ecosystem depend on for survival) that's basically a flying dragon.  Unfortunately, they are predators that would eat humans.  So, you're there to link up with a Na'vi avatar, so that you can take the flight on the back of the banshee and learn about their ecosystem.

It starts by taking you into a room, where an avatar is chosen for you.  This is a glorified waiting room, where the scientist briefs you, explains safety protocols, and they use some neat technology to match you with an avatar.  Then, you are lead into the ride, with are mounted bridles that look kinda like motorcycles.  It features a heads-up display screen with a camera on your face and essentially handlebars, that represent taking the reigns of the animal.  The restraints are pretty weird.  As you mount the "bike" your chest squeezes up flush against a panel.  Then another comes up from behind and pinches you, so you're sandwiched in with bent legs and your shins resting on a pad.  Then, another set of restraints come behind your legs near your calves.

As you link to your Avatar, the effect is similar to hyperspace in Star Tours, except that your HUD shows your face linking to the avatar and your brainwaves and stuff.  It it's twinkling lights and the front barrier goes away to reveal a very large, curved screen.  You are wearing 3D glasses and if you're looking ahead, your entire field of vision and peripheral is covered by the screen.  The 3D is the best I've ever seen and it's not in your face -- no gimmicks.  But it's subtle.  It doesn't really feel 3D, which I like.  You fly in and around the mountains and the mount you're on dips as you dip, as would be expected.  For not really leaving the ground, you do get the feeling that you're flying around.

As you fly near lakes and rivers, you are misted and splashed with water.  You can smell dirt or interesting botanical smells and caves.  And even the mount itself is tactile, as you can feel the animal breathing between your thighs.

Overall, it's Star Tours + Soarin', with the technology amped up to the latest and greatest and a little bit of water effects.  Impressive and fun, with a great use of the Avatar license.

I drink your milkshake!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 11:26:27 am »

Nice review. I've heard great things about this ride and have never been to Animal Kingdom so I think this might be a driver for me to get there.

I have to ask why you chose this time of year though Dave? Floridians should never visit the Orlando theme parks in the Summer season. #1 the crowds are too large because everyone is still taking vacations (Floridians can get here anytime). #2 It is oppressively hot here this time of year (This is our highest average temperature of the year).

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 12:29:10 pm »

I have annual passes, so we try to go every couple of months.  We are, however, blacked out during summer, so this was the sweet spot between when our passes started again, and school starting.

But also, Disney varies so much, depending on whether or not you plan ahead and know what you're doing.  Our family is a well-oiled machine at this point, so we don't spend a lot of time schlepping crap around in the sun.  I plan our fast-passes carefully and we do things to avoid the hottest part of the day.

On this particular trip, we went back to the hotel in the middle of the day and returned to a different park for fireworks at night.

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray