Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:41:31 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Jay Cutler agrees to sign with Dolphins (according to 2 sources)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Jay Cutler agrees to sign with Dolphins (according to 2 sources)  (Read 3177 times)
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« on: August 06, 2017, 01:39:49 pm »

According to Ian Rapoport  of NFL network....
@RapSheet: He's back: QB Jay Cutler is coming back. Sources say he's agreed to sign with the #Dolphins.

Jeff Darlington of ESPN
@JeffDarlington: After originally telling Miami he wasn’t returning, Miami got him back to the table. Gase sold him; money got high enough. Nearly done deal.

Adam Schefter with contract details...
@AdamSchefter: Miami's one-year deal with QB Jay Cutler is worth $10 million, plus incentives, per source.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 01:45:27 pm by DaLittle B » Logged

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 02:40:30 pm »

unbelievable

Only this team would think to bench a quarterback with a 2-1 record in the critical part of the season, the only loss being the best team in football, a quarterback rating of over 100, who led the game winning drive when he took over, and beat two divisional rivals on the road.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 03:11:46 pm »

Definitely adds a new wrinkle to this season. I honestly don't know what to expect. If we get 2015 Cutler with all of the offensive weapons we have then this might be something special.

Defense is still not looking great though. At least Cutler is used to getting sacked all the time.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 03:33:02 pm »

@RapSheet: Specifics of #Dolphins QB Jay Cutler's contract: 1 year, $5M base, $5M in bonuses, up to $3M more in incentives.

So more definitive contract numbers coming out now...

hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 05:20:59 pm »

I agree with EDGECRUSHER to point.  If the Dolphins get the 2015 version, this could be pretty damn good/great offensively.

He STILL has to get into QB starting shape and yes, 1st game is roughly 5 weeks away.  I'm on board with Moore starting, I like what he brings and I think he's viable, BUT, I worry about long term health/being injury-free. He is 34 yrs old and not played a full season. That could be good OR bad.  Good, cause he hasn't taken a lot of shots BAD, because as you get older, injuries are more likely and take longer to heal.

Yeah, I know Cutler is 34 himself, but he's been thru more rigorous seasons than Moore

All I'm saying is that we as fans have to trust Gase knows what he's doing and he's going to put the best QB option on the field to win games.  And if so, whoever is the backup it's a good one to have IMO

I guess we'll just let this play out and see what happens.  I think the bigger issue for both QBs is to have a healthy OL and keep them intact throughout the season or as much as possible. As far as they go, so goes the QB

Let' Go Phins!!!
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 05:22:41 pm by hordman » Logged

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 06:15:21 pm »

Now for gods sake RT, get the knee fixed now and quick screwing around. You're pissing me off now with all this indecision.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 06:56:52 pm »

Now for gods sake RT, get the knee fixed now and quick screwing around. You're pissing me off now with all this indecision.

It's not indecision, they didn't have the full extent of the injury known till today. It was just determined today that he partially tore his ACL. The extent of the damage wasn't known till this afternoon. Relax bro, if he has the surgery today or Wednesday or a week from Monday the time-table isn't changing. He is out for this year.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 08:36:35 pm »

This change makes the expected number of wins for the team in 2017 either stay the same, or decrease by about one game as a function of Cutler's probable rust.  Replacing a roughly average quarterback with another roughly average quarterback won't make that big a difference.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 01:29:03 am »

It's not indecision, they didn't have the full extent of the injury known till today. It was just determined today that he partially tore his ACL. The extent of the damage wasn't known till this afternoon. Relax bro, if he has the surgery today or Wednesday or a week from Monday the time-table isn't changing. He is out for this year.
Again. Tore it again...and he's still not sure if he's gonna get surgery. Yes, you need surgery Ryan. Just do it and get back for next year.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 01:02:46 pm »

Signing Jay Cutler is a BAD move for so many reasons, IMO.

1) $10 MILLION. - This uses up a great deal of salary cap, could have gotten a lesser backup for $2M.  Now there's no money to pay Landry.  Now you can say just franchise tag him next year, but then your overpaying him next year, and paying even more for his services the following year.

2) At best Jay Cutler has a good season, equivalent to what Tannehill would have done, and the Dolphins make the playoffs and perhaps even win a wild card game.  BUT, then what??  Cutler is not a long term solution, he's like Fitzpatrick good season this year, terrible season next year.

3) I would have preferred Moore started the season.  There are enough offensive weapons that if Miami got some breaks Moore could get them to ten wins.  Worst case is the Dolphins only win five games and get a higher draft selection, which after all the losing seasons the last 15 years I wouldn't mind.

Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 05:38:49 pm »

3) I would have preferred Moore started the season.  There are enough offensive weapons that if Miami got some breaks Moore could get them to ten wins.  Worst case is the Dolphins only win five games and get a higher draft selection, which after all the losing seasons the last 15 years I wouldn't mind.

Because that's what coaches, GM's, owners, and players are worried about ....a high draft pick next year. I swear to god some of you people live in an alternate reality and don't understand common sense or logic. They are trying to win games this year, if they don't they could lose their job or be on the hot seat next year. That includes players and coaches and front office people. They are not thinking oh well, if we only win 5 we will have a higher draft pick in 2018.  Some of you just don't get it
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 05:48:39 pm »

It was dumb simply because Matt Moore in 3+ games last season had a 2-1 record, 8 touchdowns vs. 3 interceptions, and a quarterback rating over 100.

If Tannehill did that in 3+ games everybody would be going off the wall.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 06:13:27 pm »

It was dumb simply because Matt Moore in 3+ games last season had a 2-1 record, 8 touchdowns vs. 3 interceptions, and a quarterback rating over 100.

If Tannehill did that in 3+ games everybody would be going off the wall.

I think what we're not privy to in this area is the degree to which Gase may have had to pare down the playbook for Moore last year, in comparison to how that went with Cutler in 2015.

Cutler may offer the ability to use the entirety (or much more) of Gase's playbook, which may make him compare favorably to Moore, or even to Tannehill for that matter.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 06:57:12 pm »

Cutler cost no draft picks and a modest $10 million (only two veteran starting quarterbacks will make less).  Not one team has offered Matt Moore a starting position and he seems perfectly fine to collect his 1.7 million a year to be the back-up.  Moore's had plenty of chances to prove himself.

Cutler may not succeed here but in reality he is the one person with the best chance to help us to have a good season so it's a good gamble. Anyone else would have been Moore's back-up and that isn't saying anything special.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2017, 06:57:04 am »

An interesting article:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/news/miami-dolphins-jay-cutler-ryan-tannehill-comparison-contract-adam-gase/ns2srexdzl941gd8hufmwafy2

Tannehill has $53 million remaining on his deal, but none of it guaranteed. If Miami were to move on from him after this season, their only dead cap money would be his prorated signing bonus, which is $2.3 million for the 2018 and 2019 seasons. Most importantly, the Dolphins have just a little over $3 million in cap space in 2018, and Landry is set to be a free agent.

Cutler’s $10 million contract is the third lowest salary for 2017 of any quarterback not on a rookie contract. The only quarterbacks below him are Josh McCown of the Jets and Brian Hoyer of the 49ers.

Cutler’s next contract, should he earn it, can be structured similarly to that of Alex Smith, a deal that allows the team to get out after the second year with minimal cap hit. This lies under the premise that Cutler can play well enough and stay healthy, but changing out Tannehill’s bloated deal with Cutler’s team-friendly, short-term solution could ease Miami's 2018 cap concerns.

Plus, the Dolphins would need an established veteran to hold the fort while the team searches for a franchise quarterback in the 2018 NFL Draft, one of the best classes in recent history.

Cutler is the NFL’s best bridge quarterback. He allows his current team to aim for a playoff berth while also giving them the opportunity to plan for the future at the position.

Cutler shouldn’t be viewed as a savior in Miami, which almost certainly won’t be a Super Bowl contender so long as Tom Brady refuses to retire. But Gase has proven his system works. His vision for the team can produce results, and the franchise should trust his direction.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray