Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:25:36 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  How do you want to deal with the loss of LB R. McMillan?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: How do you want to deal with the loss of LB R. McMillan?  (Read 4197 times)
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« on: August 13, 2017, 01:28:14 pm »

Dolphins are going to give LB Mike Hull,a shot at the position before pursuing outside help.

What do you want to see the team do? Free agent? Trade for someone? Try to Go with Mike Hull, or Neville Hewitt?

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2017, 01:33:26 pm »

Go with existing players, and wait to see if they can pick up a better player that doesn't make some other teams final cutdown.
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2017, 03:31:49 pm »

Really not that big of a loss in my opinion.  It seemed like a big loss at the time because Tannehill had just gotten hurt, and nobody got to see McMillan play, which, combined with his second-round selection, made it seem like a huge injustice.

When you settle down and take a breath, however, what you realize is that it's the loss of a two-down rookie linebacker.

It's entirely possible that someone like Mike Hull, who's been in the league longer, will play just as well on those two downs, which means the loss won't be all that great.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2017, 08:57:53 pm »

Miami has lost their play caller on offense and play caller on defense. That's a big deal. McMillian was a starting MLB and was calling the plays in the huddle for the defense. Not that they can't find someone else to to do that, just its a lot to lose before the 2nd preseason game.

If Hull  (or someone else on the roster currently) was that good they wouldn't have drafted McMillian in the 2nd round. Just stupid logic to think otherwise.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 11:41:49 pm »

Eagles linebacker Mychal Kendricks could be an option as he has asked to be traded or released. He has 3 years left on a 29 million dollar contract.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 07:03:21 am »

When you settle down and take a breath, however, what you realize is that it's the loss of a two-down rookie linebacker.

All of this.  I agree, when I first heard the news, I was like WTF???  but when it gets down to it, he was a rookie, someone that could have helped them at MLB and a 2-down rookie like Dolfanalyst said.  Hopefully, he works hard, gets himself back into great playing position and makes an impact next season.

I say go with Hull.  Guy played at Penn State and I saw him play there, he's got a nose for the football and is smart.  Now, he's gonna be athletic as you may want? No, but I think if the DL does a good job of keeping G and T off his ass, he can make plays.

Is he the long term solution? No, but it is what it is and MIA has to make the best of the situation.

I saw Omar Kelly on Twitter saying they should go after Dannell Ellerbe. Yes, let's go after another offten-hurt player.  SMFH

« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 07:04:54 am by hordman » Logged

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2017, 10:15:21 am »

Next man up.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2017, 11:19:05 am »

^ Yeah, pretty much.  You don't need to seek out free agency to replace a rookie.  It sucks that you lose the player, but what you're really losing is the year of experience.  You weren't necessarily depending on the guy to come in and be a star right away.

I drink your milkshake!
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2017, 11:43:47 am »

All of this.  I agree, when I first heard the news, I was like WTF???  but when it gets down to it, he was a rookie, someone that could have helped them at MLB and a 2-down rookie like Dolfanalyst said.  Hopefully, he works hard, gets himself back into great playing position and makes an impact next season.

I say go with Hull.  Guy played at Penn State and I saw him play there, he's got a nose for the football and is smart.  Now, he's gonna be athletic as you may want? No, but I think if the DL does a good job of keeping G and T off his ass, he can make plays.

Is he the long term solution? No, but it is what it is and MIA has to make the best of the situation.

I saw Omar Kelly on Twitter saying they should go after Dannell Ellerbe. Yes, let's go after another offten-hurt player.  SMFH

Right, and to expound on what I said a bit more, in further agreement with what you said above, what we're talking about here is a relatively narrow range of skills (run defense, as opposed to run defense and pass coverage), that were supposed to have been exhibited by a rookie player.

That by definition can't possibly equate to a huge loss, and there is a decent chance that another player can exhibit those same skills, due to the fact that they represent such a narrow range of them.

Also, it's a passing league, and so the loss of a run defender by definition won't hurt as much as the loss of a pass defender.

McMillan may well develop to the point that he can defend the run and the pass, but that wasn't going to happen for him as a rookie.  He would've been a two-down player this year.  Timmons and Alonso are your nickel linebackers.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2017, 11:48:50 am »

Right, and to expound on what I said a bit more, in further agreement with what you said above, what we're talking about here is a relatively narrow range of skills (run defense, as opposed to run defense and pass coverage), that were supposed to have been exhibited by a rookie player.

That by definition can't possibly equate to a huge loss, and there is a decent chance that another player can exhibit those same skills, due to the fact that they represent such a narrow range of them.

Also, it's a passing league, and so the loss of a run defender by definition won't hurt as much as the loss of a pass defender.

McMillan may well develop to the point that he can defend the run and the pass, but that wasn't going to happen for him as a rookie.  He would've been a two-down player this year.  Timmons and Alonso are your nickel linebackers.
I'm worried about this stunting his growth as an NFL player.  As far as this year, although a bummer to lose a talented rookie, it isn't as important as losing Timmons or Alonso for the year.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2017, 12:30:20 pm »

Except the fact the run defense is the single worst thing this team does. We give up  over 140 yards a game and that's where the game starts. If you can't stop the run then everything else is useless.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2017, 01:44:15 pm »

I'm with Masterfins.  Go with what they already have and see if a decent LB becomes available during final cuts from other teams before the season starts.  The one thing you don't want to do is to put yourself in cap space peril for next year by making a panic move this year. 
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 02:17:18 pm »

How do you want to deal with the loss of LB R. McMillan?

In Loving Memory

Raekwon McMillan

November 17, 1996  -  August 10, 2017

Beloved son to Rafael & Monica Washington

Potential new favorite player to many Miami Dolphins fans

Solid IDP prospect for many fantasy football junkies

Large bald alpha dog daddy to his Pit Bulls, Wu & Tang

In lieu of flowers, the deceased's family asks that you consider a small donation to the
local chapter of the Underprivileged Young Inner City Linebacker Fund.

...oh wait, he didn't die? 

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 03:58:44 pm »

In Loving Memory

Raekwon McMillan

November 17, 1996  -  August 10, 2017

Beloved son to Rafael & Monica Washington

Potential new favorite player to many Miami Dolphins fans

Solid IDP prospect for many fantasy football junkies

Large bald alpha dog daddy to his Pit Bulls, Wu & Tang

In lieu of flowers, the deceased's family asks that you consider a small donation to the
local chapter of the Underprivileged Young Inner City Linebacker Fund.

...oh wait, he didn't die? 

Bravo sir
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 04:18:39 pm »

I'm worried about this stunting his growth as an NFL player.  As far as this year, although a bummer to lose a talented rookie, it isn't as important as losing Timmons or Alonso for the year.

It'll definitely stunt his growth, unfortunately.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray