Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:22:05 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  MMA and other fighting sports
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: MMA and other fighting sports  (Read 1986 times)
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« on: August 14, 2017, 01:48:38 am »

I read through the thread about men taking over women's sports.

I decided to watch some MMA videos to see it in action.

Not regarding the issue of transgender athletes competing in men's sports, I was really taken aback by the severe viciousness of MMA bouts.

I can't believe people do not become seriously injured during this fights.

Football is regulated, and the players wear pads for protection.

Karate is regulated and the players score points for clean shots to the body and head.  They hold back full power and avoid hurting their opponents.

Do any of you watch extreme fighting/MMA?  If so, what are your thoughts about it?

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 09:44:34 am »

MMA is regulated. and the referees are right on top of the fight. they will stop a fight instantly if someone is unable to defend themselves for whatever reason
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 10:23:41 am »

I am a former boxing fan and watched the older boring MMA fights. I pretty much don't watch any of it now.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 11:17:55 am »

It may sound crazy, but MMA is going to result in fewer injuries that football.  The fights are quick and they end very quick.  If you get rocked, the fight ends, basically.

If you get rocked in football, they dust you off to go get rocked again, and repeat 16 times a year, for 10 years -- plus practices.  ...not to mention damage to joints and stuff and general wear on your body.

MMA, you don't fight a lot.   You might take one or two big shots a year.  ...maybe. 

Boxing is the worst, because it's a slow, bludgeoning trauma that goes on for 12 rounds.

I drink your milkshake!
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 01:50:18 pm »

I'd like MMA/UFC, etc. a lot more if they didn't create the professional wrestling carnival atmosphere in it.  I know that is part of what makes for larger audiences because our culture now demands that everything be all tricked out instead of just enjoying the purity of sports/entertainment, etc. 
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 01:55:55 pm »

I'd like MMA/UFC, etc. a lot more if they didn't create the professional wrestling carnival atmosphere in it. 

I totally agree.

The fighting and camaraderie surrounding it is way more interesting.  Two guys beating the hell out of each other with total respect is what intrigues me.  When I see two meatheads talking trash and having to be separated makes me feel like I'm supporting a bunch of bro-life douche bags.

I don't think that they'll do it, but the UFC really needs to take a step up in professionalism.  Dana White is a blessing and a curse to that league. He's done so much to help it get where it is, but he also holds it back by trying to make it the WWE.

I drink your milkshake!
dolanroi

« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 04:49:38 am »

Not a hardcore fan of MMA, though I kinda like its variety of fighting techniques.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray