Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 05:51:08 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  How much do you care about who a player is off the field?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: How much do you care about who a player is off the field?  (Read 1518 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: August 14, 2017, 11:24:48 am »

In learning about Jay Cutler, I see that he's an anti-vaxxer.  ...which sucks, because I think it's a terrible thing and it's one of those things that people look to celebrities for.  It's actually one of the areas that celebrity voices actually can make a difference and raise awareness (or, in this case, spread information).  Children die directly because of this kind of ignorance.  And some children will die even if their parents aren't anti-vaxxers, but there isn't herd immunity to keep them safe.  It's really unfortunate and totally preventable.

I'm kinda torn on support for these kinds of players.

In a case where someone a player beats his wife, it sets a bad example, but there's not really a defensible position for the player.  There's no real group defending that player or his actions, nobody propping that person up as a hero to the wife-beating cause.  But in the case of Cutler, he's an icon for that movement of anti-scientific ignorance.

Sucks.

I'm sure that someone will invariably bring up Kaepernick, so I'm prepared for comparisons.

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 11:52:30 am »

In learning about Jay Cutler, I see that he's an anti-vaxxer.  ...which sucks, because I think it's a terrible thing and it's one of those things that people look to celebrities for.  It's actually one of the areas that celebrity voices actually can make a difference and raise awareness (or, in this case, spread information).  Children die directly because of this kind of ignorance.  And some children will die even if their parents aren't anti-vaxxers, but there isn't herd immunity to keep them safe.  It's really unfortunate and totally preventable.

I'm kinda torn on support for these kinds of players.

In a case where someone a player beats his wife, it sets a bad example, but there's not really a defensible position for the player.  There's no real group defending that player or his actions, nobody propping that person up as a hero to the wife-beating cause.  But in the case of Cutler, he's an icon for that movement of anti-scientific ignorance.

Sucks.

I'm sure that someone will invariably bring up Kaepernick, so I'm prepared for comparisons.

I have to say, I'm kind of ignorant on vaccinations because I don't have children, so I didn't pay attention to the anti vs for.  Are kids being over-vaccinated and this is an over-reaction?  Like would it be okay if some, but not all vaccinations were administered to children?  I've heard some people on the radio and other media talk about waiting until certain ages to kid your kids vaccinated that goes against doctors orders, but it seems people have taken that to the extreme and just say "no vaccinations at all".
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 02:00:17 pm »

I'm sitting in Tenshot's row...no children here, so no real depth of study on the vax issue. I am pro-vax, mainly because the science behind it seems sound, and because most of the people I see who are publicly anti-vax tend to be ultra-religious or total tools.

Like the whole transgender mess, it's a topic that I just don't care enough about to put time into learning more.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 02:01:25 pm »

Nope.  It's all bullshit, put forth by celebrities, with no scientific backing.  There was a fake scare that vaccines cause autism (they don't), but autism shows up right around the same age that you get vaccinated, so people started to falsely make that link and then they got exploited by someone trying to make a name for themselves.

All kids that can be vaccinated should be vaccinated.  Some kids can't get vaccinated, though -- and some old people.  So, we need something called "herd immunity" where a certain percentage of the population is vaccinated, so even if some can't get the vaccination or it doesn't work, that the sickness still can't spread.

It's how we got rid of polio.

But we now have kids dying of the fucking measles because of idiot celebrities harboring anti-intellectual and anti-scientific ideas.  It sucks.  And Cutler (more so his wife) is outspoken about it.  People WILL die because it.

I drink your milkshake!
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 05:50:10 pm »

Ricky Williams for over a decade was dragged to court numerous times for failing to pay Child Support and that's  when he was making millions. He was the poster boy of being a deadbeat dad. Dolphins fans cheered him endlessly no matter what dumb things he did off the field.

I can't be worried or be upset if Jay Cutler is an anti-Vaxxer and have that be something that prevents me from rooting for him. I just can't.

Most of these NFL players are bad people or hold wacky beliefs, if I let that determine if I can root for them or not there would be no point to watch the games as there would be few people left to cheer for.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2017, 06:40:55 pm »

I am pro vax.  But would consider this a non issue.  My favorite QB, team owner and coach all support a political leader that sees hate on both sides in the murder in Charlottesville and won't condemn Nazis.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 11:15:01 am »

If the guy makes plays, I'm still going to cheer. Just like that dumbass William Hayes who doesn't believe in dinosaurs but believes in mermaids. I've learned long ago that athletes are not necessarily people to be looked up to, just as actors and musicians may not be. It doesn't stop me from watching a Seinfeld rerun (Michael Richards) or listening to N.W.A. (Dr. Dre) on occasion.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 12:54:29 pm »

I don't care too much about what a player does off the field, as long he's not beating up his GF, wife, child, grandparent, etc.  I've never heard of Cutler's anti-vax stance, but some celebrities get poorly labeled as anti-vax when they are actually just opposed to the method they are currently administered.  I don't have kids, but if I did I wouldn't go along with the current method of pumping a bunch of vaccines into a kid all at once.  Also, I'd opt for a single dose, which doesn't have all the added chemicals to preserve the vaccine from going bad.  IMO it's all about money and the current method is cheaper and more profitable to the medical community.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 05:20:25 pm »

If the guy makes plays, I'm still going to cheer. Just like that dumbass William Hayes who doesn't believe in dinosaurs but believes in mermaids. I've learned long ago that athletes are not necessarily people to be looked up to, just as actors and musicians may not be. It doesn't stop me from watching a Seinfeld rerun (Michael Richards) or listening to N.W.A. (Dr. Dre) on occasion.
What he said.  Smiley

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 07:33:51 pm »

I don't care too much about what a player does off the field, as long he's not beating up his GF, wife, child, grandparent, etc.  I've never heard of Cutler's anti-vax stance, but some celebrities get poorly labeled as anti-vax when they are actually just opposed to the method they are currently administered.  I don't have kids, but if I did I wouldn't go along with the current method of pumping a bunch of vaccines into a kid all at once.  Also, I'd opt for a single dose, which doesn't have all the added chemicals to preserve the vaccine from going bad.  IMO it's all about money and the current method is cheaper and more profitable to the medical community.
This was what I was alluding too, but you said it better.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray