Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:19:57 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Is practice/pre-season even worth it?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Is practice/pre-season even worth it?  (Read 1765 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: August 15, 2017, 01:34:27 pm »

With the amount of injuries that an average team gets, is it even worth it to have camps?  These guys know how to play football already.  Are they really getting that much better at the cost of losing a bunch of your guys?

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 01:49:09 pm »

Obviously 32 coaches disagree with you every team has the ability to forgo contact drills yet none sem to be even considering that.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 02:11:42 pm »

You have to have the camp in some fashion. Every sport does. Otherwise your rookies get no experience and you cannot evaluate new talent. The NFL has already scaled back the practices a lot from what they formerly were and players train more in the offseason than they did in the past. So I agree to a point that they are not as important as it once was for the conditioning but as far as building your team chemistry it is absolutely imperative.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 05:18:52 pm »

Injuries are going to happen. Like Gase said ... these are injuries you can't predict. It isn't like they could have worked out harder or done more squats etc. They just happen and unfortunately they are happening to us quite frequently.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 10:28:42 am »

Obviously 32 coaches disagree with you every team has the ability to forgo contact drills yet none sem to be even considering that.

That may be because it's the right thing to do.  But it's also at least partially because NFL coaches are a good ole boy network where you have to have these old ideas to get put in a position to be a head coach in the first place.

I always go to punting as an example of this.  These coaches punt WAY too much.  But they all do it, so there's no way to change it.

I drink your milkshake!
VidKid
YJFF Member
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 11:41:49 am »

It may not 'really' be worth it from a fan standpoint, but I feel a little game time practice/scrimmage is good for players.

I know that when I played in that flag football league last season, the first game or 2 felt fast. I mean, when was the last time we all played. Sure, probably longer than an offseason, but still, that first game or two really helped me get back to playing.

You can't predict an injury, you just play smart and hope. But a game or 2 can be beneficial, IMO.

Enjoy your reign while you may, Superman. For as surely as night follows day...there comes a time when even gods must die. - Lex Luthor
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 12:41:07 pm »

First off, remember that Ryan Tannehill got hurt on a non contact play, so it's really not even part of the discussion.

So what if McMillan got hurt on his first punt coverage in the first game. What difference does it make? The reality is that football is a dangerous sport and becoming and more and more dangerous as the players get bigger and faster. The way the Dolphins are approaching it is the way that you have to approach it which is that players are going to get hurt and you just have to deal with it. Teams that are deeper are able to adjust to losing players better than those teams that are pretty much all about the starters. As fans we tend to only consider the starters, but in reality the team is 53 players deep and all of them are important.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 01:48:31 pm »

First off, remember that Ryan Tannehill got hurt on a non contact play, so it's really not even part of the discussion.

So what if McMillan got hurt on his first punt coverage in the first game. What difference does it make? The reality is that football is a dangerous sport and becoming and more and more dangerous as the players get bigger and faster. The way the Dolphins are approaching it is the way that you have to approach it which is that players are going to get hurt and you just have to deal with it. Teams that are deeper are able to adjust to losing players better than those teams that are pretty much all about the starters. As fans we tend to only consider the starters, but in reality the team is 53 players deep and all of them are important.
Which makes who they drafted and picked up in free agency that much more important.  A lot of those guys were for depth.  There was a lot of criticism because of that, but look where they are sitting now?  Next guy up.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2017, 11:59:15 pm »

You have to have the camp in some fashion. Every sport does. Otherwise your rookies get no experience and you cannot evaluate new talent. The NFL has already scaled back the practices a lot from what they formerly were and players train more in the offseason than they did in the past. So I agree to a point that they are not as important as it once was for the conditioning but as far as building your team chemistry it is absolutely imperative.

This is especially true when you have a new coach and/or new coordinators.  Any time you install a new scheme/system, it makes that training camp that much more crucial

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 01:37:51 pm »

I think each coach should carefully consider how much practice/drills/risk is right for each player.

For a guy like Tom Brady or Drew Brees you probably want him to only play, participate in padded drills enough to dust off any cobwebs before the first game.

On the other hand an UDFA QB you are concerned has trouble avoiding the blitz you might take the attitude of not having him wear a red shirt at all in practice either he will learn to avoid the sack or he will wind up on IR, but he is of no use to us on the 53 man roster if he can't learn to avoid being sacked. 

Of course those are the extremes many players falls some where in between.  But for many players the need for them to improve thru practice and/or the need to evaluate them outweighs the risk of injury. 

Here is the approach I might take.  You need to reduce 90 players down to 53.   Say you start camp with 35 vets you know are making the roster (unless they are on IR or something else crazy happens) and 55 players are rookies or are competing for the last 18 spots. 

With the 35 you want to work on conditioning, skill improvement but injury avoidance is more important than evaluation or getting them use to NFL intensity. 

With the 55 -- who gives a shit if a dozen of them get hurt, improving their skills and evaluating them is more important than keeping them healthy, unless they can take it to the next skillswise they aren't going to be on the team anyway.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray