Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:20:59 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  ESPN: Only 7 Teams Worse than Dolphins
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: ESPN: Only 7 Teams Worse than Dolphins  (Read 1127 times)
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« on: August 16, 2017, 02:19:25 pm »

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/page/NFLpowerrankingsx170815/2017-preseason-nfl-power-rankings-new-england-patriots-atlanta-falcons-seattle-seahawks-front

Jay Cutler did have one of his best seasons under coach Adam Gase, but his completion percentage and touchdown-to-interception ratio that year each ranked 14th or worse league-wide. Don't be surprised if Matt Moore is elevated to No. 1 at some point soon.

And the response from the Palm Beach Post:

After season-ending injuries to quarterback Ryan Tannehill and linebacker Raekwon McMillan, ESPN dropped the Dolphins all the way from 13th in its power rankings to 25th.

This could be an over-reaction to the loss of Tannehill.

Or, it could be a rejection of the notion Jay Cutler can perform anywhere close to the level of Tannehill.

Miami faces a more difficult schedule in 2017.

They’re certainly not going to sneak up on any opponents.

And they have been crippled by injury in training camp.

If the Dolphins exceed ESPN’s expectations, these things must happen:

1. Cutler performs at a level comparable to what he did with the Bears in 2015, when Gase was his coordinator. Cutler must limit mistakes, turnovers, bad decisions and untimely risks.

2. Center Mike Pouncey starts and finishes at least 12 games. This is imperative because Pouncey is the glue of Miami’s offensive line. The leader. And the key to rushing success for Jay Ajayi.

3. Jarvis Landry clicks with Cutler and has his fair share of catches, even if he’s disappointed no contract extension has occurred and even if it seems DeVante Parker has emerged as Cutler’s preferred target.

4. William Hayes and Lawrence Timmons have the desired impact in Miami’s need to be more sturdy against the run. If Andre Branch and Cam Wake are improved as setting the edge, as alleged, that would be helpful.

5. Xavien Howard take a giant leap forward, Byron Maxwell does not regress, Bobby McCain creates some turnovers and Nate Allen plays no worse than Isa Abdul-Quddus did last season.

6. No more injuries. Not to any starter or key reserve. The Dolphins cannot afford another key injury at quarterback, running back, offensive line, linebacker or cornerback. Got it?

7. Some good luck. The Dolphins overcame their share of misfortune last season with timely turnovers, late-game, clutch heroics and a generally optimistic disposition set by then first-year coach Adam Gase. Miami can’t allow injuries, negative results and poor luck to set the team off the rails early in the season.

My personal opinion for what it's worth is that if all of the above happens, the team would likely have about the same record (10-6), and likely face another very early playoff exit.

If it doesn't happen, the team might be as bad as 6-10.

When you're working with roughly average quarterback play, and you don't have one of the league's best defenses, there's simply a fairly low ceiling on how well you can do as a team.  10-6 is about that ceiling.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 02:38:44 pm »

My prediction is Miami will come in second in the division.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 02:46:26 pm »

Garbage.  They're going 16-0.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 03:42:30 pm »

they probably ranked us lower last year this time and how did that turn out?!

Honestly it's one person's opinion and means nothing. Like who cares?!
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 04:30:06 pm »

The only rankings I care about are at the end of the year. 
Dolfanalyst
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 06:39:03 pm »

they probably ranked us lower last year this time and how did that turn out?!

One spot lower:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/17319873/nfl-2016-preseason-power-rankings-seattle-seahawks-arizona-cardinals-top-new-england-patriots-behind

So if the stars align like they did last year, the team will finish 10-6. Wink
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 07:58:38 pm »

exactly
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 01:39:51 pm »

How has that been working for ya?   Evil

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 02:04:26 pm »

How has that been working for ya?   Evil

LOL....Oh, I didn't say I like them.  I just said they are the only ones I care about.   Grin
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 02:41:15 pm »

thank you!!!!  These talking heads are full shit at times and you and I could do just as well to make predictions based on the access that they have

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray