Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:27:44 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  MoviePass -- the best deal ever?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: MoviePass -- the best deal ever?  (Read 4627 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 03:24:34 pm »

Plus it opens you up to movies you may not normally want to pay to see.

Exactly this.  I find myself almost exclusively going to "event movies", even though I probably will like some of these smaller films more, but I can't justify the cost of seeing an intimate drama on the big-screen.

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2017, 05:37:50 pm »

I have been thinking a lot about this.  (Don't have my card yet.)

I think that this model is the wave of the future for movies.  If theaters fight this and win, they will die out.  Movies are prohibitively expensive, which means that the average person is only going to a few a year.  If you're only going to a few a year, you're likely to see these big tent-pole releases.  Because of that, movie studios will make sure that their tent-pole releases are generally non-offensive, don't take risks, and appeal to the 4 quadrants.  Movies will be shittier and it will kill the mid-budget film (which is already happening).

But also, my solution to this problem currently is just not going to the movie.  I wait until it's free on a service or I steal it from one of several sources online or through friends or whatever.  I think the theaters only chance at survival is to get my couple of bucks and entice to me go all the time.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2017, 05:45:28 pm »

I have been thinking a lot about this.  (Don't have my card yet.)

I think that this model is the wave of the future for movies.  If theaters fight this and win, they will die out.  Movies are prohibitively expensive, which means that the average person is only going to a few a year.  If you're only going to a few a year, you're likely to see these big tent-pole releases.  Because of that, movie studios will make sure that their tent-pole releases are generally non-offensive, don't take risks, and appeal to the 4 quadrants.  Movies will be shittier and it will kill the mid-budget film (which is already happening).

But also, my solution to this problem currently is just not going to the movie.  I wait until it's free on a service or I steal it from one of several sources online or through friends or whatever.  I think the theaters only chance at survival is to get my couple of bucks and entice to me go all the time.

I think a lot of the success of movie pass from a theater's perspective will depend on the outcome of this thread

http://www.thedolphinsmakemecry.com/forums/index.php?topic=24857.0

If the increase in concession revenue offsets the decline in ticket revenues the theaters win.  If too many movie pass users skip the concession line, the theaters lose.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2017, 05:48:21 pm »

Theaters don't lose, though.  They still get reimbursed the full price of every ticket sold.

From a theater perspective, they WILL make more money by people going to movies more.  Period, concessions or not.

The argument that AMC is making is that MoviePass will fail, and in doing so, set an expectation that movies should cost $10 a month, so it will hurt sales later and drive people away from films.  I think that AMC is living in an age that no longer exists, when you can just as easily steal any movie you want and every streaming service is going to have the movie in 6 months anyway.

I drink your milkshake!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: September 04, 2017, 10:31:09 am »

Theaters don't lose, though.  They still get reimbursed the full price of every ticket sold.

From a theater perspective, they WILL make more money by people going to movies more.  Period, concessions or not.

The argument that AMC is making is that MoviePass will fail, and in doing so, set an expectation that movies should cost $10 a month, so it will hurt sales later and drive people away from films.  I think that AMC is living in an age that no longer exists, when you can just as easily steal any movie you want and every streaming service is going to have the movie in 6 months anyway.
AMC should take the money and shut up IMO. I still don't see how MoviePass is making any money. If a sub goes to more than one movie a month they will lose money on that sub. Maybe they are banking on the mail in rebate and extended warranty model that the majority will just buy at $10 a month and then not bother/forget to go to the movies and never cancel the subscription because it's such a "great" deal. You have to remember, most people really aren't that good with money.

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 12:43:43 pm »

Has anyone received their card yet?  I'm still waiting, I imagine with the influx of all the new customers at once it slowed things down.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 12:59:44 pm »

I haven't checked today, but I hadn't gotten it as of Monday.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2017, 01:48:39 pm »

I got my card last week.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 09:54:36 am »

I still haven't gotten mine as of yesterday, and with the hurricane coming, it might be a while longer.

I drink your milkshake!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 01:15:19 pm »

I still haven't gotten mine as of yesterday, and with the hurricane coming, it might be a while longer.
You may get the card, but there may be no theaters left to go to...

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2017, 01:40:13 pm »

You may get the card, but there may be no theaters left to go to...

Always a ray of sunshine!   Roll Eyes
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2017, 01:41:28 pm »

I just received an email that said there is a 2-3 week delay in mailing out cards due to unprecedented demand.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2017, 03:38:58 pm »

I still don't have my card as of this morning.

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2017, 06:36:27 pm »

^^^ Yeah I don't have mine yet either; and I just received another email from them saying there is still a 2-3 week delay due to the demand (even though they have added workers and increased production from their vendor).  The email also said there was an accidental reshuffling of the order to make cards, so this may delay things further.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #29 on: September 17, 2017, 09:50:15 pm »

Got my card today

I drink your milkshake!
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: