Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:37:08 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Suspensions for non-football issues
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Suspensions for non-football issues  (Read 3624 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: August 31, 2017, 05:44:57 pm »

This is a spin-off from the Zeke Elliott thread...

The NFL has really painted itself into a corner.  They are constantly dealing with off-the-field problems where players aren't charged with anything and it's a rabbit hole that they've unwisely decided to go down.

I think that the NFL should cave to the players' union in the next CBA and require charges to be filed, in order to be suspended.  ...not because I think that I want players to be hitting their wives and getting in fights and stuff, but just because it puts an unreasonable burden on the employer to police its employees when not at work.  It's not the job of the league to investigate potential crimes.  And it makes the NFL constantly look bad all the time, regardless of the act they take.

At least if there was a clause where they couldn't suspend without charges, they could kinda stay out of the news.

Thoughts?

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 05:51:35 pm »

I know someone who while on her way to work, in her work uniform flipped someone off (not a crime) when the asshole who was flipped off for cutting my friend off complianed about the rude gesture to the restaurant management  she was fired for disgracing the uniform and the company. 

Not sure why the NFL shouldn't be allowed to fire its employees for disgracing the shield, if McDonald can fire an employee for disgracing the Golden Arches.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 06:53:42 pm »

Dave, I have advocated that position for some time.  The Big Ben suspension opened a major Pandora's Box for the league office.  Now any incident that doesn't result in a suspension will be viewed as implicit league approval.

Hoodie, there are two major issues with your analogy:

1) None of the players are committing these offenses while wearing work uniforms, and the league does not own their personal likeness.
2) It is ultimately against the league's (competitive) interest to suspend or cut players for issues unrelated to competition, because good NFL players are extremely difficult to replace.  Employees at Mickey D's are pretty easy to replace.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2017, 07:19:21 pm »

Dave, I have advocated that position for some time.  The Big Ben suspension opened a major Pandora's Box for the league office.  Now any incident that doesn't result in a suspension will be viewed as implicit league approval.

Hoodie, there are two major issues with your analogy:

1) None of the players are committing these offenses while wearing work uniforms, and the league does not own their personal likeness.
2) It is ultimately against the league's (competitive) interest to suspend or cut players for issues unrelated to competition, because good NFL players are extremely difficult to replace.  Employees at Mickey D's are pretty easy to replace.

To your first point.  She was on her own time, she was fired because she was the "face" of McDs.  These players are the face of the NFL.

Your second point is pretty irrelevant and in one way backwards. No NFL team has ever gone months unable to fill its 53 man roster because of a lack of applicants for the job.  McDs often has a hard time filling its shifts.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2017, 07:38:26 pm »

It's not a matter of whether or not the NFL is allowed.  They are.  It's just that the NFL is putting itself into a position where they HAVE to act, else they be seen as accepting of whatever bad, yet non-criminal behavior. 

It's just a tough situation that they've put themselves in.  They don't have to do this.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2017, 08:55:15 pm »

I think that the NFL should cave to the players' union in the next CBA and require charges to be filed, in order to be suspended.
LOL. Ask ANY NFL player if they care more about being suspended or how much money they are going to make and 100% of them will take the money. The CBA is NOTHING but a money grab for them. They couldn't care less about anything else. They'll pay lip service to it, but when it comes down to it the ONLY thing they understand is the thickness of the wallet. That's why they get raped in EVERY single CBA when it concerns anything other than money. Why do you think they still play 4 preseason games? Why do you think Goodell has the power to do whatever he wants? Why do think the season is 17 games long and will probably 18 before long and on and on and on. Because as long as you promise them more money, they would sell you their soul.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
suck for luck
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2017, 08:58:16 pm »

Ray Rice

“The atmospheric conditions as well as the true equilibrium of the ball is critical to the measurement.” — Belichick
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 08:22:10 am »

The NFL is a brand and if you tarnish the image they have every right fire them or levy a punishment. The rest of the country  operates the same way and they shouldn't be off the hook.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 08:57:05 am »

I'm fine just the way it is, and really wouldn't have any problem if the NFL got even tougher on off-field indiscretions, particularly where violence is involved.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2017, 09:32:21 am »

Why do think the season is 17 games long
It isn't.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2017, 09:35:56 am »

It isn't.

It is, however, 17 game weeks long.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2017, 09:41:32 am »

^^^ Which has nothing to do with the CBA, I doubt players are fighting against having a bye week.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2017, 09:53:32 am »

^^^ Which has nothing to do with the CBA, I doubt players are fighting against having a bye week.

I know....just trying make sense of Pappy's fake news,

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 11:13:33 am »

The NFL is a brand and if you tarnish the image they have every right fire them or levy a punishment. The rest of the country  operates the same way and they shouldn't be off the hook.

The have a right, yes.  But they don't have an obligation and the rest of the country does not operate the same way.

Would your company suspend you for something you weren't charged for and happened off of company time, not in your company uniform?

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2017, 11:31:43 am »

To your first point.  She was on her own time, she was fired because she was the "face" of McDs.

Direct quote: "I know someone who while on her way to work, in her work uniform flipped someone off".

If these players are committing offenses worthy of fine/suspension while in their work uniforms, I'd like to hear about it.

Your second point is pretty irrelevant and in one way backwards. No NFL team has ever gone months unable to fill its 53 man roster because of a lack of applicants for the job.  McDs often has a hard time filling its shifts.
Once again: good NFL players are extremely difficult to replace.  If they were easy to replace, the owners wouldn't be paying them millions of dollars.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 11:34:20 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray