Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:43:51 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  The Patriots aren't the only Boston team who cheats
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: The Patriots aren't the only Boston team who cheats  (Read 1962 times)
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« on: September 05, 2017, 08:43:59 pm »

Looks like the Red Sox were stealing signs using Apple watches

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 11:17:09 pm »

If the catcher is sloppy with hiding the signs, then so be it. I believe every team looks for that, but using technology? That's just wrong.

FWIW, they are saying the Yankees steal signs using a camera from their YES Network, but I didn't see any evidence for that.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2017, 06:52:24 am »

Looks like the Red Sox were stealing signs using Apple watches

The claim doesn't appear to be that the Red Sox used Apple watches to steal the signals (although that's what pretty much every headline says), but rather that they used video replay to steal the signals and then Apple watches to disseminate that information. The precise line and method of communication isn't entirely clear from any of the articles I have read, but the most direct reading suggests that the replay personnel communicated the information to one or more persons in the dugout, who viewed this information on Apple watches and then used hand signals to inform players at bat.

It would appear likely that the replay personnel simply used iMessage or text message to send the information and that these messages were simply viewed on the Apple watches, just as they could have been with any other mobile phone, tablet, or smart watch.

The headlines make it seem like there is something technologically advanced going on, when it would appear that the method is the exact same that has always been used to steal signals / calls, both in football and in baseball: People looking at video telling people on the sideline / dugout, who then inform relevant players on the field.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2017, 12:40:06 pm »

^^^ But that's the point, you CAN'T use any technology (not even binoculars) in the path to stealing signs - only the naked eye and manual hand signals.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2017, 05:00:18 am »

^^^ But that's the point, you CAN'T use any technology (not even binoculars) in the path to stealing signs - only the naked eye and manual hand signals.

Oh, I'm not saying they didn't cheat. I'm simply pointing out that the headlines are deceitful in their claim of Apple watches being used to steal the signs. The issue here is using video to steal signs. How that information is relayed to the dugout is relatively insignificant. They could just as easily have used walkie-talkies or a chain of hand signals.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2017, 12:29:22 pm »

^^^ Correct, the headlines are just to get ratings; the Apple watch was just used to relay the signal, but using that form of technology to do that is illegal (so would the use of walkie talkies).  Using a chain of hand signals to relay the sign would be legal, if the sign was stolen by the naked eye (such as a runner on 2nd base, or someone in the bullpen).
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray