Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:17:08 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Florida peeps - take good care!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Florida peeps - take good care!  (Read 5095 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2017, 01:40:19 pm »

I had an entire tree come down on my house. It is a large oak that would take two guys with Kobe Bryant's wing span to reach around the base. There is no way For me to get it off so I'm dealing with insurance as it is going to take a crane.
What was the extent of the damage to your home?

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2017, 09:30:12 pm »

FreaKing 9:29pm and still no damn power!  Seems to just be mine and 2 other streets in my neighborhood
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 10:11:21 am »

What was the extent of the damage to your home?

There is some roof damage but it sustained the weight really well. The good news is that the tree came over slowly since it was uprooted rather than having a situation where something snapped and fell at a faster pace.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 10:13:40 am »

FreaKing 9:29pm and still no damn power!  Seems to just be mine and 2 other streets in my neighborhood

I was around town a bit yesterday (going to Home Depot and picking up some beer) and I only saw two guys from the power company (Didn't even see their truck they were on the ground). I asked several people who went to work what they saw and they saw very few power trucks on the road. It doesn't seem to me they are concentrating on my area at all.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 02:50:37 pm »

I was around town a bit yesterday (going to Home Depot and picking up some beer) and I only saw two guys from the power company (Didn't even see their truck they were on the ground). I asked several people who went to work what they saw and they saw very few power trucks on the road. It doesn't seem to me they are concentrating on my area at all.
I feel the same way.  Havent seen a power company truck in my neighborhood yet.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 04:33:36 pm »

I've reported a downed line in the back of my property (the line runs over my yard but the downed line is over the fence in the retention pond) and I have not seen anyone come out to even look at it yet.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 07:34:53 pm »

After a major outage the more urban you are the better.  First places the restore power to is hospitals, police stations, nursing homes, emergency shelters, etc.  If you live next to a fire station odds are your power will be restored quickly.  Then they do it based on what will get the most bang for the buck.  If fixing pole A will restore power to 100 apartments and pole B will restore power to 5 houses. Pole A gets fixed first.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2017, 07:51:37 pm »

You would think so but the Orlando Utilities Commission (not my provider) is not following that based on what I saw today. I have no doubt that hospitals, first responder offices, etc. were prioritized but today's paper had a statement from OUC saying they were having their crews assess the time it took for each fix. Any repair that would take more than 15 minutes would be flagged so that they would return to it later.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weather/hurricane/os-hurricane-irma-electricity-recovery-20170912-story.html
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2017, 08:14:43 pm »

You would think so but the Orlando Utilities Commission (not my provider) is not following that based on what I saw today. I have no doubt that hospitals, first responder offices, etc. were prioritized but today's paper had a statement from OUC saying they were having their crews assess the time it took for each fix. Any repair that would take more than 15 minutes would be flagged so that they would return to it later.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/weather/hurricane/os-hurricane-irma-electricity-recovery-20170912-story.html

Yeah that is the first step.  Figure out what needs to be fixed.  If you can fix something in a few minutes fix it rather than add it to the list.  Once you have the list go for the biggest bang for the buck.  With a storm this big it can take a few days just to figure out what needs to be fixed.  Also you need to use your own crews for the assessments.  Once you have the task list you can deploy the loaner crews to help with the actual repair.  It is going to take a couple of weeks to get everyone restored

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2017, 11:12:20 pm »

I just got my power and cable/internet back today.   Damage was minimal at my house.  My job..... that's another story

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2017, 09:50:00 am »

I just got power back last night.  Whew!
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2017, 04:05:33 pm »

Yeah that is the first step.  Figure out what needs to be fixed.  If you can fix something in a few minutes fix it rather than add it to the list.  Once you have the list go for the biggest bang for the buck.  With a storm this big it can take a few days just to figure out what needs to be fixed.  Also you need to use your own crews for the assessments.  Once you have the task list you can deploy the loaner crews to help with the actual repair.  It is going to take a couple of weeks to get everyone restored

In our world today, where everyone is setting their sites on IoT (If you don't know the term I bet you know the ideas behind it) there should be much more automation on what the simple fixes are where you don't need crews to drive by active problems. I know of one person that has gotten power back so far and there is still a line down in the back of my property which I have not noticed anyone checking on.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2017, 07:58:38 pm »

In our world today, where everyone is setting their sites on IoT (If you don't know the term I bet you know the ideas behind it) there should be much more automation on what the simple fixes are where you don't need crews to drive by active problems. I know of one person that has gotten power back so far and there is still a line down in the back of my property which I have not noticed anyone checking on.

There is some of that...but building a system from scratch is different than adding modern technology to a system that was built on 1930s technology and the hurricane caused physical damage that can't be fixed with a software upgrade you need actual people to put up a pole.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2017, 11:39:20 am »

I'm now fully back at home -- Internet/Cable back this morning, power was back on Tuesday night.

My parents are still out and have no power.
Work is spotty.  We have power, internet is back today, but the A/C isn't working and there are a few network (printer/server) issues.

I drink your milkshake!
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2017, 01:48:52 pm »

I know this is no comparison,but both in 07 & 08 ice storms here,07 Ice storm never saw a power crew in the neighborhood working After a week,the power came back on out of the blue,and I never saw anyone on the poles near me.(I live N.Center city) In 08 I bitched about seeing tons of power crews constantly running up and down my street,but never stopping to work on obvious damage.(Like Hoodie explained,about fixing what can bring the most people power)...Poof,Power came back on after a few days...

Phish, is that downed line connected pole to pole,or pole to someone's house?

(I'm not sure it applies in Florida, It seems like it would)
The reason why I ask,during the ice storms,and any other storm damage this got mentioned a ton (but you don't hear about near as much any more) ...If the homes weatherhead (the where the power connects to the house) is damaged, that's up the home owner to have it fixed before the utility company will turn on the power.

Anyways my attempt to try to make anyone that still doesn't have power,feel some hope....

I'm really happy to hear most of you guy's all seem to be ok,hopefully everyone here will be fine...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray