Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 07:10:28 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  If you want to be remembered better to be Actor,Musician,Athlete,Politician?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: If you want to be remembered better to be Actor,Musician,Athlete,Politician?  (Read 1847 times)
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« on: October 04, 2017, 12:30:40 pm »

This came up with the passing of Tom Petty,while I was playing chauffeur-baby sitting my underlings.When it got mentioned tom Petty passed,most of them said "He was my Dad's music" ,or could barely name 1 or 2 songs at best....(part of the problem was) The conversation progressed it became about the rap/hip hop generation vs the rock generation type of discussion. It progressed more to comparing musicians to actors,and athletes as examples of each side of the discussion.

I really felt old,when I said if you've heard of them (some were alive some were dead),and can name something they were in...I'll make it game Even tell you musician,if actor T.V Movies  or both,etc..I named Johnny Carson,Steve Alan,Paul McCartney,Robert Plant,(Then I got Mash on the Brain) Alan Alda,Tom Skerritt,...On Donald Sutherland, they kept saying,you mean Kiefer?

Carson,like Tom petty they knew the name,but said Dad/Grandpa thing...

Sorry the post got away from me...

So if you want to be remembered is it better to be best known
T.V. actor
Movie actor
Actor (both T.V. + movies)
Musician
Politician*
Athlete

Rank them Who do you feel gets remembered the most?

*(As someone brought up yesterday...The President of the United States...and I told them to name as many Presidents they could...We didn't get far)

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 01:44:44 pm »

I think that Politicians are at the top of the list.
Then musicians.
Then actors (movie, then TV -- although this line is blurring).
Athletes are last.

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 09:21:32 am »

As long as politicians' faces are on the money, they're the easy choice here.  It's really hard to tell what sort of long-term fame that the top-tier Movie/TV stars will have, as that form of media is still in its relative infancy. It utilizes twice as many of our senses as music, so I think it will prove to be the more retentive of the two.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 09:52:06 am »

politicians for sure .. artists are 2nd and athletes are last.

you remember Julius Caesar from at least 2000 years ago, you remember Motzart from 300 years ago .. you don't remember an athlete from 150 years ago
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 12:43:10 pm »

I don't disagree with Politicians being top 1 Except,outside of the Presidency...Vice Presidents,Senators,HoR,Governors,Etc,are barely remembered even in office in a lot places. Tongue

I could see a ranking of...
Politicians (W/Presidents)
Movie actors
Musicians
T.V. Actors
Athletes
Politicians (W/O Presidents)

The money thing, Undecided Initially I thought was a good point till I thought,Ben Franklin,and Alexander Hamilton was never president. Cash also changes....

That's just me...

Link to who is on what money....
https://reagan.procon.org/view.resource.php?resourceID=003839
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 12:44:57 pm by DaLittle B » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 02:22:17 pm »

I still think politics is biggest, even at moderately high levels.  You can look back in a history book and see the names of the people who affected policy that we still feel today.  Even bad things -- McCarthyism is a term that is still a thing today.  And since history repeats itself, these people who shaped an era of government will remain in the history books.

Music is next, because it remains relevant in a way that movies/TV don't.  TV and movies age out.  It's hard to watch a movie made in the 50s.  ...not a lot of people have seen those or appreciate them.  But Buddy Holly is still a big deal.

Athletes are last, because I think it's something that is getting constantly better and better and you can't really compare across eras. 

I drink your milkshake!
Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 08:31:46 pm »

I still think politics is biggest, even at moderately high levels.  You can look back in a history book and see the names of the people who affected policy that we still feel today.  Even bad things -- McCarthyism is a term that is still a thing today.  And since history repeats itself, these people who shaped an era of government will remain in the history books.

Music is next, because it remains relevant in a way that movies/TV don't.  TV and movies age out.  It's hard to watch a movie made in the 50s.  ...not a lot of people have seen those or appreciate them.  But Buddy Holly is still a big deal.

Athletes are last, because I think it's something that is getting constantly better and better and you can't really compare across eras. 

You could have just said " I agree with Fau and he's super awesome" Smiley
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 08:59:25 pm »

Other --- Humanitarian

Mother Teresa
Gandhi
Schindler
Tubman
Tutu
King
Mandel

Granted some are boarder line politicians.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2017, 11:52:23 am »

^^^ Sure, you can name a handful of humanitarians, but most, if not all, are going to be from the last generation or two. You can name politicians all the way back to Julius Caesar.

Humanitarians provide more value to society...politicians provide more memory retention.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2017, 01:59:54 pm »

You could have just said " I agree with Fau and he's super awesome" Smiley

Perhaps you are moderately awesome. 

But I was trying to bring the separate point that even mid-level politicians still have lasting policy (or even "learn from our mistakes" viewpoints) that remain relevant.  It's not just the Julius Caesars.  It's the judges who ruled on court cases that are now learned as precedent...stuff like that.

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2017, 02:30:06 pm »

^^^ Sure, you can name a handful of humanitarians, but most, if not all, are going to be from the last generation or two. You can name politicians all the way back to Julius Caesar.

Humanitarians provide more value to society...politicians provide more memory retention.

Jesus says hi!  So do Lady Godiva.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:34:07 pm by MyGodWearsAHoodie » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 02:41:43 pm »

politicians for sure .. artists are 2nd and athletes are last.

you remember Julius Caesar from at least 2000 years ago, you remember Motzart from 300 years ago .. you don't remember an athlete from 150 years ago

David's upset over heavily favored Goliath occurred more than 150 years ago.

Fau Teixeira
Administrator
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 08:52:50 pm »

Unless you're coming on board with "war is a sport between nations" i'm not buying david or goliath as atheletes
EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 10:07:42 am »

I would suggest more people know of Caesar because of Shakespeare and name recognition, than what he actually accomplished as a politician.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray