Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:00:56 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Top 5 Non-Star Athletes
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Top 5 Non-Star Athletes  (Read 4562 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: October 04, 2017, 04:01:13 pm »

Answering the other thread got me thinking...  What are your top 5 athletes that aren't stars.  I'm thinking about role-players.

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 04:31:20 pm »

Reggie Roby
Shane Battier
Udonis Haslem
Patrick Cobbs
Jeff Conine

I drink your milkshake!
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2017, 04:44:30 pm »

Thunder Dan Majerle
Kurt Bevacqua
Udonis Haslem
Bip Roberts
Jesse Sapolu

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2017, 05:17:49 pm »

Oronde Gadsden
Keith Byars
Brad Muster
Tom Rathman

The Professor-Kyle Hendricks?  <-I know this isn't what you're going for,(He was up for Cy Young Award in 2016,Gm1 starter against the Nats Friday),but If I said name the Top 50 pitchers in the Game of Baseball today...Very few people would put a guy with an 88mph fast ball/change up artist on the list)

Most of the Cubs are out winning the Ws last year...Can't say Javy Baez,Nor Willson Contreras (2nd favorite current Cub,behind Rizzo)

3 Fullbacks from my youth,some of my 1st football coaches influenced me,and it's still stuck today.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:23:14 pm by DaLittle B » Logged

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2017, 06:17:06 pm »

Oronde Gadsden
Keith Byars
Brad Muster
Tom Rathman

The Professor-Kyle Hendricks?  <-I know this isn't what you're going for,(He was up for Cy Young Award in 2016,Gm1 starter against the Nats Friday),but If I said name the Top 50 pitchers in the Game of Baseball today...Very few people would put a guy with an 88mph fast ball/change up artist on the list)

Most of the Cubs are out winning the Ws last year...Can't say Javy Baez,Nor Willson Contreras (2nd favorite current Cub,behind Rizzo)

3 Fullbacks from my youth,some of my 1st football coaches influenced me,and it's still stuck today.

Agree on Gadsden.  I still remember his horizontal one handed grab.  Pretty sure it was in Marino's last game against the Jags.

Brock Marion

BJ Armstrong

Jay Buhner

Andy Van Slyke
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2017, 11:10:23 pm »

Agree on Gadsden.  I still remember his horizontal one handed grab.  Pretty sure it was in Marino's last game against the Jags.

I'd counter by saying that I'm almost positive it was the Raiders.

Robert Horry
OJ McDuffie
Jim Jenson
Dante Calabria (bet you have to look him up)

I'll come back on the last one
Kurt Rambis
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 03:48:09 pm by Phishfan » Logged
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 12:45:51 pm »

It was the Jets...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3Z3jrQs73U

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 01:08:32 pm »

My memory is a little foggy, but that isn't the one I was thinking of...the one I'm talking about, he was completely reclined backwards and caught the ball behind his head one handed.  I thought it was over the middle though.

Just saw the Raiders catch and it very similar to what I was thinking, so it might be that.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 01:16:24 pm by Tenshot13 » Logged
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 01:30:04 pm »

Dennis Rodman
Graig Nettles
Zach Thomas
Kevin McHale
Wes Welker
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 01:46:18 pm »

Dennis Rodman
Graig Nettles
Zach Thomas
Kevin McHale
Wes Welker

I didn't include Zach Thomas because he's a borderline HOF.  If he's aloud, he takes BJ Armstrong's place on my list.  Probably my favorite player of all time next to Marino.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 01:53:38 pm »

Dennis Rodman
Graig Nettles
Zach Thomas
Kevin McHale
Wes Welker

Kevin McHale is in the Hall of Fame.
Craig Nettles should be in the Hall of Fame.
Zach Thomas should be in the Hall of Fame
Rodman averaged 20-something rebounds and 3-4 hair colors per game for years, and is enshrined in the Hall of Whackos

You and I apparently have much different thresholds for "Non-star athletes"    Wink

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2017, 03:51:18 pm »

And was once named one of the 50 greatest players of all time (in 1996) so he definitely belongs in the star category.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2017, 04:08:12 pm »

My memory is a little foggy, but that isn't the one I was thinking of...the one I'm talking about, he was completely reclined backwards and caught the ball behind his head one handed.  I thought it was over the middle though.

Just saw the Raiders catch and it very similar to what I was thinking, so it might be that.

Both were pretty damn cool catches after watching them both on youtube... Cheesy

EKnight
GameDay Trolls
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2017, 10:03:40 am »

Rodman averaged 20-something rebounds and 3-4 hair colors per game for years, and is enshrined in the Hall of Whackos

You and I apparently have much different thresholds for "Non-star athletes"    Wink

Rodman never had a single season with 20+ rebounds per game, let alone years of them. He may actually have been the best rebounder ever, but there’s no need to inflate his stats.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2017, 04:04:11 pm »

In choosing my "non-star" athletes I focused more on the OP's guideline of being a "role player", not on some little known player.  McHale was the 6th man for Boston to start his career; Bird was the star player for those Celtics teams.  Without Bird McHale is an average player.  Same for Rodman, he was not the star player on either the Pistons or Bulls teams he played on.  Graig Nettles was a great defensive player, but he would not be considered the "star" player of the Yankees' Pennant Teams he played on.  Zach Thomas wouldn't be in the top five players if you were listing the star players on the Dolphin Teams he played on.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray