Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 03:28:33 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Re: Cam Newton and Female Reporter
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Re: Cam Newton and Female Reporter  (Read 8997 times)
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« on: October 04, 2017, 06:28:57 pm »

https://deadspin.com/cam-newton-to-reporter-its-funny-to-hear-a-female-tal-1819154956?utm_campaign=socialflow_deadspin_facebook&utm_source=deadspin_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

This Cam Newton is the biggest piece of garbage in the NFL. What he did today to the female reporter is so disrespectful its not even funny. Hope the NFL suspends him.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2017, 10:49:16 pm »

I started a new thread as this should have it's own discussion rather than rehash one that is so out of date.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2017, 05:48:03 am »

I'm always surprised star players don't have a "PC filter", where they will just revert to saying basically nothing whenever anything remotely non-PC comes up.

Regarding this Cam stuff... just stupid. You KNOW he's going to have to walk it back. I wouldn't expect any sincerity, though. Let's say a non-apology apology. Start off by apologizing and saying how much he respects women, women who cover sports, perhaps even this reporter in particular (though probably not). Then follow that with a diatribe on how he was misunderstood and that he really didn't mean anything by what he said.

Worst case, he'll shove the whole thing on the Panthers' PR department and there will just be a written statement given to the press, but without Newton ever having been involved in the wording or any of it.

The statement should be out by noon today.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2017, 11:23:51 am »

What he said was sexist, no question about it.  But lets put things in perspective..........

It is considerably less sexist than the pussy grabbing comments made by the POTUS.   

It is less offensive than what Payton Manning did to Naughright.

It is not nearly as offensive as what Mowatt, Timpson, and Perryman did to Lisa Olson.

It is not nearly as offensive as what Brett Farve did to Christina Scavo and Shannon O'Toole. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2017, 11:47:43 am »

What he said was sexist, no question about it.  But lets put things in perspective..........

It is considerably less sexist than the pussy grabbing comments made by the POTUS.   

It is less offensive than what Payton Manning did to Naughright.

It is not nearly as offensive as what Mowatt, Timpson, and Perryman did to Lisa Olson.

It is not nearly as offensive as what Brett Farve did to Christina Scavo and Shannon O'Toole. 

No perspective about it.  He was a sexist ass and got called out for it.  Guy has a record of unsavory incidents going back to college.  Let's not take very loose examples of incidents that happened off camera and compare them to an incident during an interview.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2017, 11:47:53 am »

He feebly tried to walk it back by saying that it's funny to hear "any reporter" talk about routes.  Too little, too late.

I'm always surprised star players don't have a "PC filter", where they will just revert to saying basically nothing whenever anything remotely non-PC comes up.
This wasn't even an instance of something "non-PC" coming up.  The reporter asked him about the route running of one of his receivers, and he willingly dove into the briar patch by just saying “It’s funny to hear a female talk about routes” out of nowhere.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2017, 11:50:19 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2017, 12:09:52 pm »

This morning all of the companies that use Cam as their "pitch man" on TV and Radio commercials and such are dropping him. He is losing all of his endorsement deals this morning and losing a ton of money over this. Love to see that!!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2017, 01:17:17 pm »

The world is ever evolving, and Cam is about two decades behind.  Just another example of his immaturity.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2017, 02:28:42 pm »

While he is a dick, I can't bring myself to even care about it for more than 2 minutes. Professional athletes, especially football players being dicks is not newsworthy. The female reporter was not hurt in any way. Pissed off? Sure. Destroyed emotionally? Only if she has mental problems. She may even get some notoriety out of it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2017, 02:54:09 pm »

While he is a dick, I can't bring myself to even care about it for more than 2 minutes. Professional athletes, especially football players being dicks is not newsworthy. The female reporter was not hurt in any way. Pissed off? Sure. Destroyed emotionally? Only if she has mental problems. She may even get some notoriety out of it.
I don't like Cam Newton, so this is just icing on the cake for me.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2017, 03:53:52 pm »

I don't like Cam Newton, so this is just icing on the cake for me.

Neither do I. I defended him the whole season when they went 15-1 and the media hated him but he was a great role model and leader.....until the Superbowl when he couldn't even be bothered to dive for a fumble and just gave up. Now, he is back to being an asshole.

I just can't feign outrage that in a league filled with rapists and murderers a bunch of words is supposed to be a scandal.
fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2017, 01:49:06 am »

In a move that surprises absolutely no one, Cam made his non-apology apology. He regrets his choice of words, did not intend to be disrespectful and sincerely apologizes if you are a person who took offense, then he sincerely apologizes to you. Call me jaded, but I'm not completely sold on his sincerity, but the wording of the apology was better than I had expected. If course, if he'd issued the apology by noon, he might not have lost as much money on it....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20928510/cam-newton-carolina-panthers-apologizes-response-female-reporter
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2017, 07:25:35 am »

In a move that surprises absolutely no one, Cam made his non-apology apology. He regrets his choice of words, did not intend to be disrespectful and sincerely apologizes if you are a person who took offense, then he sincerely apologizes to you. Call me jaded, but I'm not completely sold on his sincerity, but the wording of the apology was better than I had expected. If course, if he'd issued the apology by noon, he might not have lost as much money on it....

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20928510/cam-newton-carolina-panthers-apologizes-response-female-reporter
I'll give him credit on the apology, it was a bit more sincere than I've seen others in the past.
fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2017, 08:21:12 am »

I'll give him credit on the apology, it was a bit more sincere than I've seen others in the past.

I wish he would have left out the whining about losing sponsors. On the other hand, any decent publicist would have had him steer clear of that, so it does add some authenticity. I'd rather have a mediocre apology directly from the person involved than a perfect one that's completely scripted.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2017, 02:56:57 pm »

I can sorta emphasize with Cam. In general I have very little respect for sports reporters with no playing or coaching experience in the sport they are reporting on this is true if the reporter is male or female.  However in most cases male reporters have played football at minimum at the high school level and often at the college level.  Female reporters rarely if ever have played tackle football.

I respect Rebbeca Lobbo's comments on the NBA, but not Erin Andrews.  In Cam's sport there are no Rebbeca Lobbos only Erin Andrews.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray