Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 03:36:09 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  And Mike Pence makes it official....
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: And Mike Pence makes it official....  (Read 2791 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 06:48:38 pm »

This is not pertinent.  NFL players CHOOSE to play in the NFL, and they have a union to protect their rights.
I am not talking about protests.  I am talking about the frequent tendency for people to say, "What if YOU tried to do [x] at your job?", which is irrelevant because your job is nothing like an NFL player's job; i.e. there are tens of thousands (if not more) of people in the world who can do your job as well as you, but less than 200 who can do the same for an NFL player.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 06:52:11 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 08:10:26 am »

I am not talking about protests.  I am talking about the frequent tendency for people to say, "What if YOU tried to do [x] at your job?", which is irrelevant because your job is nothing like an NFL player's job; i.e. there are tens of thousands (if not more) of people in the world who can do your job as well as you, but less than 200 who can do the same for an NFL player.
I don't by that for a minute. Everyone has a boss (for owners that boss is your customers) and has to live up to certain expectations. I'd argue Harvey Weinstein has much more power than any athlete and yet he got dumped by the BOD the minute he embarrassed the Weinstein Company. Just because they are at the top of their game doesn't mean they deserve a whole new set of rules. That's crazy.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2017, 11:21:24 am »

To be clear: Weinstein got dumped after several decades of this behavior, which many people are claiming was well-known.  If you or I had behaved like he did, we would be out on our ear immediately, not 20 years later.  Important people play by different rules than the rest of us, which isn't exactly news.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2017, 01:29:52 pm »

If the NFL was to set guidelines for NFL players after negotiating such changes with the union as a response to consumers in general or sponsors wanting that change that is fine.  And would be fine and with in the normal realm of business responding to consumer demand.  However when the POTUS got involved it becomes a Constitutional issue. 

There is restrictions on what I can wear at work. There is no restrictions on what bumper stickers my car can have on it when parked in the employee parking lot.  So if I was to wear a "Black Lives Matter" button to work it would not be allowed but I am free to put one on my car.  If my company was to ban all bumper stickers on cars that are parked in the employee parking lot that would be a perfectly legal although stupid rule. 

But if the POTUS was to declare in a speech "Wouldn't you just love it if everyone who had a 'Trump is an asshole' bumper sticker on their car got fired?"  And shortly thereafter my boss demanded I remove such bumper sticker or get fired.  Than that would be a 1st amendment issue.  The problem is the government involvement.   

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
suck for luck
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2017, 07:57:00 pm »

The NFL needs to decide whether or not they want Harvey to continue to sexually abuse women on the sidelines during the anthem or not. I just want to watch footbalĺ.

“The atmospheric conditions as well as the true equilibrium of the ball is critical to the measurement.” — Belichick
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray