Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:03:51 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Anti-Fins Chat (Moderators: jtex316, Phishfan)
| | |-+  Shame of the Game - Jets
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: Shame of the Game - Jets  (Read 4999 times)
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2017, 05:45:23 pm »

Gase pretty much straight up said that Cutler got spooked after getting hit early in the game and played skittish after that.
I don't disagree that Cutler was off target on several throws, but go back and watch every dropback of Cutler, it's available on youtube. There were also several balls that could have been caught that weren't caught, some were tight coverage, but still the ball hits the receiver in the hands and it's not caught. That's on the receiver. There were also several balls that seemed to be communication breakdowns between the QB and the WR. It's really hard to determine who's at fault in those cases and typically I think it's a bit of both. And on several passes Cutler was running around making room before he even throws the pass which means the offensive line wasn't doing it's job and Cutler was bailing them out but then in some case threw a bad pass which is both a positive and a negative on Cutler. And the run game was non existant, that's certainly not Cutler's fault. It's fair to critique Cutler and say he had a bad game, but there was a LOT of bad to go around. It's also fair to critique just about every guy on the offense and say they had a bad game.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 05:48:47 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2017, 06:04:01 pm »

One of the things Gase said was that Cutler was supposed to step up in the pocket and allow the pressure to go past him, but after getting hit early, he got happy feet and bailed, effectively ruining the protection.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's perfectly understandable. No quarterback would (nor should) trust the Dolphins' O-line. Cutlers reaction, however, just makes the situation even worse. I did go back and look at all his dropbacks and I think Gase hit the nail on the head. Look at how Cutler sets up (hint, he doesn't, throwing off his back foot or completely off balance, even when the pressure isn't that close). Look at how quickly he decides to roll out of the pocket (which, going by Gase, he wasn't supposed to). If you look at receiver routes, there were a lot of short passes that could have been made if Cutler hadn't panicked. When quick passing isn't a threat, all those 8 guys in the box can just push forward and not think about coverage. That doesn't exactly make it easier to run, nor does it do the offensive line any favors.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2017, 05:27:06 pm »

So let's forget about Cutler for a minute. Did you see several catchable balls dropped? Did you see Cutler having to "duck under" the oncoming traffic several times? It's one thing to have to step up into a clean pocket, it's completely something else to have to completely move out of the pocket to avoid a sack. Far be it for me to question Gase and I haven't seen his comments, so I'm not sure if he was just critiqueing Cutler's play or the the whole offense, but I still don't believe it's fair to put the poor showing on just the QB.

fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2017, 05:36:55 pm »

but I still don't believe it's fair to put the poor showing on just the QB.

Just on the QB, no. I roundly criticized the team, including the offensive line ("garbage"), in my initial post. This thread is about the SotG, though and my vote was and is for Cutler, for the reasons given. Gase's comments and rewatching his drop backs has only served to reinforce that opinion.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2017, 07:43:53 pm »

So let's forget about Cutler for a minute. Did you see several catchable balls dropped? Did you see Cutler having to "duck under" the oncoming traffic several times? It's one thing to have to step up into a clean pocket, it's completely something else to have to completely move out of the pocket to avoid a sack. Far be it for me to question Gase and I haven't seen his comments, so I'm not sure if he was just critiqueing Cutler's play or the the whole offense, but I still don't believe it's fair to put the poor showing on just the QB.

Cutler was friggin awful last week. When under pressure he was like 4-13 for 26 yards. Lots of blame to go around but if Cutler played even a "decent" game that game is closer in the 4th quarter
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2017, 07:22:48 pm »

Gase's comments and rewatching his drop backs has only served to reinforce that opinion.
How do you explain this then?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/03/adam-gase-criticism-of-jay-cutler-drives-me-nuts/

That's effectively deflecting any criticism of Jay Cutler. Now I'm sure that Cutler could do a better job with the pressure, but I don't see how anyone can think that Gase was putting the blame on Cutler for the poor showings.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 07:28:44 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2017, 04:08:29 am »

How do you explain this then?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2017/10/03/adam-gase-criticism-of-jay-cutler-drives-me-nuts/

That's effectively deflecting any criticism of Jay Cutler. Now I'm sure that Cutler could do a better job with the pressure, but I don't see how anyone can think that Gase was putting the blame on Cutler for the poor showings.

You do realize that those comments from Gase came after this weeks game (Saints), whereas this thread is about last weeks game (Jets), right? It's perfectly possible to criticize a player one week and support him the next (or even the same, because Gase isn't going to NOT support his starting quarterback, just like pretty much every head coach anywhere).

If you listen to Gase's comments after the Jets game, he clearly states that Cutler stopped doing what he was supposed to after taking an early hit. Cutler basically got happy feet and kept bailing while the pocket still held. This resulted in the elimination of the short passing game, which made it way too easy for the Jets' D.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray