Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 10:09:18 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Homeowners Insurance
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Homeowners Insurance  (Read 1908 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: October 09, 2017, 10:05:14 am »

I am likely moving into a new home and I have to get homeowners insurance.  I chose my car insurance based on recommendations here.

Who do you use and what were your reasons?  I'm basically looking for the most inexpensive coverage to satisfy my loan.

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 10:39:42 am »

Most companies will give you a discount if you have both your car and homeowners insurance through them, so that is something to consider.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 11:23:57 am »

I tried that, but unfortunately, my car insurance policy doesn't offer homeowners in my area right now.

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 12:24:27 pm »

You might want to consider changing your car insurance, then.  The discount can be significant.

I currently have 21st Century for my car and Farmers for my home (I had 21st before buying a house).  Farmers owns 21st, so I get a multi-policy discount on home, but not car for some reason.  I plan to change insurance companies next year so I get both discounts.

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 03:28:46 pm »

I agree with Spider.  Discount DAAAAAAAABLE Check with any insurance company, not just State Farm.  Shop around before making a decision.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 08:40:10 pm »

Don't double check.  State Farm is above the absolute worst at bogus denials of claims

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 01:43:37 pm »

AAA Insurance for all my cars and my house in a package deal.  It was much less expensive than my other quotes. We typically review ours every 5 years.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 01:45:15 pm »

I did the same thing, Dave.  Went with State Farm.  A friend also has it...and then they had a fire.  And watching what they are dealing with is horrific and making me think saving a few bucks on the premiums isn't worth it.  So, if this helps, the two highest rating home coverage out there for claims experience are:

Amica
USAA

There is non-biased article available about the the best 5 and worst 5, read up. 

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 02:14:38 am »

I would get USAA in a hot minute if I could, but it's restricted to (former) military and their children.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 02:17:23 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 10:29:38 am »

I would get USAA in a hot minute if I could, but it's restricted to (former) military and their children.

I think (though I don't know for sure) that it's also restricted to the children of those that have USAA.  My Dad was in the army, as well as my wife's dad.  But don't they have to be (or have been) USAA members in order for me to join?

I drink your milkshake!
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 11:55:09 am »

I think (though I don't know for sure) that it's also restricted to the children of those that have USAA.  My Dad was in the army, as well as my wife's dad.  But don't they have to be (or have been) USAA members in order for me to join?

I would ask ussa

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 12:36:10 pm »

My situation has complicated -- the roof is older than originally anticipated, so we are limited to who will take the loan at all.  It changes the game and we may try a different route.

I drink your milkshake!
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 02:18:32 pm »

My situation has complicated -- the roof is older than originally anticipated, so we are limited to who will take the loan at all.  It changes the game and we may try a different route.

Did you just find that out on the inspection report?  If so, you can back out of your contract.  Not sure how long you have to decide though.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2017, 05:41:50 pm »

Did you just find that out on the inspection report?  If so, you can back out of your contract.  Not sure how long you have to decide though.

Or renegotiate the price.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray