Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:28:50 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Movie Review: Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: What did you think of Blade Runner 2049?
*****   -1 (25%)
****   -1 (25%)
***   -0 (0%)
**   -0 (0%)
*   -0 (0%)
I'd like to see it.   -2 (50%)
I'm not interested.   -0 (0%)
Total Voters: 4

Author Topic: Movie Review: Blade Runner 2049 (2017)  (Read 1650 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: October 09, 2017, 02:35:52 pm »

Blade Runner 2049 (2017)

Premise: Set in a futuristic, urban dystopia, a synthetic human (or replicant) is tasked with hunting down other replicants, but starts unraveling a mystery that makes him question his own meaning and purpose.

Rating: Excellent as a stand-alone story and a sequel to the original, but the meticulous pacing, while adding to the atmosphere, comes at a cost.

This movie is pretty dope.  It's really smart.  Things aren't spelled out and, like the original Blade Runner, there's some weird stuff in it.  You have to make use of what you're seeing and find context for it.  I'm amazed at how good this movie looks.  It feels very new and unique, but at the same time, feels absolutely like a sequel to the original.  I'm not even sure how that happens.  It matches the original in style, music, and feel, while improving on the special effects and modernizing the feel.  Even story-wise, this doesn't feel like some tacky add-on to the first story.  It's a natural continuation of those events, while also being its own story.  You could watch this movie having never seen the original, but the original definitely does add layers over the top.

Blade Runner 2049 does a better job than the original asking some of the classic android questions -- What is love? (Baby, don't hurt me)  What does it mean to be human?  What is a memory?  What value is a soul?

The film is very atmospheric.  It's slow...reminds me of old, 70s sci-fi in a lot of ways.  It really takes its time and shows characters existing in the environment.  It allows you to see and feel a lot of things that don't directly relate to the plot, but that build the world.  And I would argue that some of those decisions make the running time too long.  At 2 hours, 30 minutes, I'd have preferred that this film get scaled back about 20 minutes, but I can't really say if it would hurt the incredible feel of the world.

If you like the original Blade Runner, this is absolutely, 100% a no-brainer watch.
If you kinda remember liking the old Blade Runner, I recommend watching it again (Director's Cut or Final Cut) and then watching this.  There's a lot of connective tissue and visual nostalgia -- it really is amazing at how they've picked up the ball from the original and run with it.
If you simply do not like the original Blade Runner, but do like Sci-Fi, I think you can like this film independently, so long as the pacing doesn't scare you off.

I drink your milkshake!
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 11:08:35 am »

It's too bad that this film isn't doing better.  See it while you can, because word is that they're going to pull it from theaters pretty soon.  I think that a cerebral sci-fi movie that's almost 3 hours long is hard to swallow for general audiences.

I want more films like this to be made.  Please support it.

I drink your milkshake!
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 01:29:50 am »

Just saw it this weekend with the wife. Absolutely amazing. She really liked it as well.

I don't watch a lot of movies on the big screen, maybe only a single one a year on average, but this was one I was really happy to have watched in a good theater. The sound track really lends itself to that environment.

As for ratings, it's R rated and nearly 3 hours... That doesn't exactly have blockbuster written all over it. Anyway, not doing great domestically, but has grossed nearly $200 million globally and hasn't debuted in Asia yet. At a budget of $155 million, it should still turn a decent profit.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2017, 01:40:31 am by fyo » Logged
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 12:05:25 pm »

I don't even remember if I saw the first one, so I'm guessing I didn't. That doesn't bode too well for seeing this version. It will probably be one of those where I catch it down the road somewhere.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2017, 09:46:03 am »

Yeah,the 3hrs,sitting there watching a movie, I have little to mild interest in  Undecided...I might catch it on Amazon,Netflix,or HBO.I barely made it through Rogue one the other night on netflix...

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 01:23:17 pm »

It didn't feel like a long movie to me. Not like a three hour action flick that just keeps throwing loud, ridiculous fighting at the viewer.... Or "artsy" no talking for half an hour 2001 Space Oddesey...
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2018, 02:23:55 pm »

I wanted to bump this thread, so that this isn't forgotten.  I watched the movie again (2nd time, 1st since the theater).  I like it even more the 2nd time.

It's really long and slow, but somehow manages not to feel like it.

I think it's one of the best sci-fi movies in recent memory.  So many neat ideas, beautiful, well-acted, respectful of the audience...  If you even have a passing interest in the original, please watch this.

I drink your milkshake!
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2018, 02:35:29 pm »

Meh. It was ok, but overall I was disappointed. Maybe I just expected a whole lot more than you did. In my opinion an under appreciated Sci Fi movie is Passengers. It was much better done from the story line to the acting to the action sequences. I was engaged the entire movie. I was bored for most of Bladerunner 2049.

I'd like to change my vote from "would like to see it" to 3 stars. It's average at best.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2018, 04:05:17 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray