Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:48:19 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Cord Cutting
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Cord Cutting  (Read 6894 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: October 10, 2017, 12:19:20 pm »

AKA living without cable TV, and instead using streaming services, HD antennae, and other a la carte content.

Does anyone do it?

I'm potentially moving to a new place and it's making me re-think a lot of what I've been doing in this regard.

I drink your milkshake!
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 12:37:16 pm »

Good Timing,I'm on that edge, Tired of paying a high monthly bill to Directv,that I don't watch as often.Add since AT&T has taken over directv I've had nothing but Billing (Especially concerning with MLB extra innings,and NFL Sunday ticket.problems)

I'm going to Go with MLB's premium streaming service next year (Perhads the 1 team Package,and just watch the Cubs games),instead of buying Extra innings.

NFL Football and NFL network,are probably my biggest oncern...

I've been looking into Youtubes T.V. service, and Sling T.v packages (I'm already an Amazon Prime member,so I use Amazon Prime Video)

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 12:40:15 pm »

I'm looking into this.  Youtube's service seems the most inline with what I want...only one that included CBS and FOX so I can watch football on Sundays.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 12:40:51 pm »

I stopped my cable TV subscription in 2007.

I use an HD antenna for most of my live sports watching, which is primarily NFL Sundays + the NBA Finals.  However, I do also take advantage of the old "use a relative's login info to access the ESPN streaming app," so I'm not truly 100% cord-cut.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 01:58:40 pm »

Dan, do you use any kind of DVR box?

And do you have one of the 3 services that have a basic channel package (Sling, PS Vue, ...can't remember the third)

I drink your milkshake!
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 02:12:28 pm »

I do not have a DVR box, and I don't have Sling or any other paid basic-channel service.  I just use an HD antenna for my basic channels.

Luckily, I live right between the SF and Sacramento broadcast markets, so I get channels from both regions.  I get about 60 over-the-air channels total, though admittedly some of them have unreliable reception.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 02:14:27 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 02:21:19 pm »

I feel silly for not thinking of the HD antenna...I could do that and combo with PSVue, YouTube Red or whatever.  You guys might have just saved me a bunch of money.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 03:15:38 pm »

I already use a Mohu leaf HD Antenna over the air.Directv didn't offer local channels in my area when I first got directv. So It saved me $3-$7 a month (I'm not even sure what it is anymore)
The past couple of years has brought quite a few channels...I get
ABC
CBS
NBC
Fox
CW
3 PBS stations (PBS,Create,and PBS kids)
Grit
Laugh
Metv
Antenna T.V
CoziTv
Bounce
QVC
Ion
Movies! (channel)
2 religious channels
an old channel that runs old TNN network reruns from the 80's
A Spanish language channel

I'm thinking the Youtubetv subscription might be the way I'm leaning...

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 01:22:14 pm »

Strange question,but How many GB's a month of Data are you'd guy's going through a month (Prior to cord cutting vs now that you've cut it?) I realize it's probably going to go up,but does your ISP have a cap?

Currently mine is currently unlimited,but I have At&t ,and Directv....258gb (with 11 days left of billing ) I'm not watching and shows live,outside of baseball/football.I've been streaming just about everything this year. (I'm between 200-400 GB's a month this year)

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 01:40:18 pm »

Yeah, Comcast keeps jacking my shit up every few months and the last time I tried to call retentions dept to threaten to cancel they wouldn't budge on the prices. I was thinking about Direct TV Now streaming service. It looks like it would work, but I figure that if I cancel my cable TV that Comcast is going to jack up the price of my internet service since it's not a "bundle" anymore. Then by the time I add the cost of the Direct TV now, I won't really be saving anything. Also, I'm limited to 1TB of data a month on Comcast. I only use about 75GBs a month, so I'm not sure if I would hit the cap or not. I have an NFL2GO account for streaming all the games, so I'm not worried about any sports add ons.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2017, 03:45:45 pm »

No cap limits so I don't even pay attention.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2017, 04:33:46 pm »

I officially cancelled cable.  1 day in, it was kinda weird, but I managed fine.

I drink your milkshake!
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2017, 04:42:12 pm »

No cap limits so I don't even pay attention.
Yeah, Comcast is the fucking devil  Evil

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2017, 04:45:37 pm »

I have an NFL2GO account for streaming all the games, so I'm not worried about any sports add ons.

Aha, So YOU'RE the reason why NFL's TV ratings are down...mystery solved.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2017, 04:59:19 pm »

Aha, So YOU'RE the reason why NFL's TV ratings are down...mystery solved.
Nope, I haven't watched or paid for NFL on TV or cable since around '07. Who the hell would pay hundreds of dollars to watch just Miami games anyhow?

Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray