Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 07:24:49 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  U.S. eliminated from the World Cup
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] Print
Author Topic: U.S. eliminated from the World Cup  (Read 6453 times)
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2017, 11:25:55 am »

Sometimes playing ugly and winning beats trying whatever the crap Arenas was trying to pull with his lineups and losing.

Arena went 10 wins-2 losses-6 draws in 11 months at the helm compared to Klinnsman's 6 wins-6 losses record in his last year so I'm not sure your point has any validity. While I agree with everyone that there is no excuse for losing to T&T, opening the Hex with a home loss to Mexico and a trouncing by Costa Rica away set the stage the the rest of the cycle.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2017, 11:28:37 am »

Arena has stepped down and it was a move I expected. The process is starting I guess.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 05:51:39 pm »

The NFL and the NBA are not stealing those players in the US unless intelligence is only is our larger guys.

True, but peewee football, little league baseball  and youth basketball often gets the talent over youth soccer.  When the kid is 8 and starts down the football route it doesn't matter that at age 18 he is built for soccer not football.  He has never played soccer so just because he  didn't get a football scholarship doesn't mean he can now develop it to a world class soccer player

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2017, 06:18:26 pm »

Expand the field and give the top 20 countries, population-wise, auto-bids. 

You have got to be kidding.  That would be like assigning wildcard spots in the playoffs based on the size of the city the team plays in.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2017, 06:08:38 am »

Hahaha I'm assuming you are going with Ronaldo? Either way he weighs over 25lbs less than Jarvis Landry. Most soccer players are small in comparison. The NFL and the NBA are not stealing those players in the US unless intelligence is only is our larger guys.
I don't think it's quite fair to compare weight.  I think NFL players would train to put on much more muscle than soccer players would.

I think if Deion Sanders, Allen Iverson, Griffey Jr., Barry Sanders, and Jerry Rice had grown up outside of the USA they would have been star soccer players.

DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2017, 04:23:50 pm »

I dont understand why this is a big deal? The US has never been a power is soccer so why or who cares?

Cathal
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 01:53:04 pm »

I dont understand why this is a big deal? The US has never been a power is soccer so why or who cares?

I guess there are soccer fans somewhere in this country that care.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2017, 03:06:16 pm »

We have been considered a power in our region up until now, so it is a big deal.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #23 on: October 17, 2017, 01:49:45 pm »

I don't think it's quite fair to compare weight.  I think NFL players would train to put on much more muscle than soccer players would.

I think if Deion Sanders, Allen Iverson, Griffey Jr., Barry Sanders, and Jerry Rice had grown up outside of the USA they would have been star soccer players.
I know what your saying but I promise you soccer is won and lost between the ears. Europeans know soccer and how it should be played at early ages. Because of money and other distractions the US kids are taught a different game. Even now with the team being better than ever our woman are falling as other countries are training their women.  It's getting better as US soccer has created academies to try and control things but it's still behind ... and very expensive.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: October 17, 2017, 06:00:19 pm »

I know what your saying but I promise you soccer is won and lost between the ears. Europeans know soccer and how it should be played at early ages. Because of money and other distractions the US kids are taught a different game. Even now with the team being better than ever our woman are falling as other countries are training their women.  It's getting better as US soccer has created academies to try and control things but it's still behind ... and very expensive.

I disagree with the premise, which is that the US is falling behind the rest of the world because we aren't spending enough money on expensive soccer programs.  Brazil and Argentina are not a soccer powerhouses because they spend billions of dollars on soccer academies that suburban middle class kids attend.  They are soccer powerhouse because every poverty stricken child starts playing soccer almost as soon as he can walk.  When the kids get much older only then the cream of the crop wind up with extra coaching and learn the finer points of the game.  Much like how every innercity kid plays basketball in the park and only if they are good enough to get a college scholarship do they actually learn the finer points of the game.  The difference between the US and Brazil isn't that Brazil spends more money, but that in Brazil most five year olds are in the park kicking around a soccer ball and in the US they are dribbling a basketball and shooting hoops or are tossing a football back and forth. 

One of the reasons soccer is the most popular sport in the world, is fundamentally it is one of the least expensive.  All you need is some space and a ball.  Almost anything can be used as goal posts.  Basketball is popular in cities because it requires very little space. 

Keep in mind a disproportionate number of  NFL and NBA players come from household that are in poverty.  Same with many professional soccer players in other countries.       

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #25 on: October 17, 2017, 06:13:58 pm »

I disagree with the premise, which is that the US is falling behind the rest of the world because we aren't spending enough money on expensive soccer programs.  Brazil and Argentina are not a soccer powerhouses because they spend billions of dollars on soccer academies that suburban middle class kids attend.  They are soccer powerhouse because every poverty stricken child starts playing soccer almost as soon as he can walk.  When the kids get much older only then the cream of the crop wind up with extra coaching and learn the finer points of the game.  Much like how every innercity kid plays basketball in the park and only if they are good enough to get a college scholarship do they actually learn the finer points of the game.  The difference between the US and Brazil isn't that Brazil spends more money, but that in Brazil most five year olds are in the park kicking around a soccer ball and in the US they are dribbling a basketball and shooting hoops or are tossing a football back and forth. 

One of the reasons soccer is the most popular sport in the world, is fundamentally it is one of the least expensive.  All you need is some space and a ball.  Almost anything can be used as goal posts.  Basketball is popular in cities because it requires very little space. 

Keep in mind a disproportionate number of  NFL and NBA players come from household that are in poverty.  Same with many professional soccer players in other countries.       
That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm saying parents spending thousands of dollars a year for little Johnny and Suzi to win are killing it.  Coach says kick it to the fast player and watch them run instead of teaching them to knock the ball around.  They need to learn how to play out of the back or be dynamic with the ball which comes from lots of attempting and failure. Instead they are teaching them how to win young but not play the game the way the rest of the world is. Coach has to make that money.

One of the best coaches I know used to sit in a lawn chair during the game and never raise his voice except to tell each player when to go in. that is very counter intuitive to the way american coaches coach. they usually scream and yell directions. Instead his players learned to play the game. to take risks and to recover from mistakes they had made. He does his coaching on the sidelines or at practice and couldn't care less about winning. He refuses to change people regardless of the score.  Needless to say many parents hate him but he has players playing in Europe today so it's obvious he knows what he is doing. he has also ended up with some pretty good teams.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pages: 1 [2] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray