Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:08:06 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  NFL audience numbers continue to decline
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: NFL audience numbers continue to decline  (Read 6315 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2017, 06:55:29 pm »

According to the numbers cited, the NFL declined less from 2016 to 2017 than it did from 2015 to 2016.

So if you are determined to view ratings through the lens of politics, the increased political focus has slowed the NFL's rapid decline.  Just imagine how much worse the ratings would be without the widespread protests!

Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2017, 06:59:23 pm »

MNF went down another 6% last night so it's steadily declining. Baseball is declining as well so there is that ... but it seems pretty obvious that the NFL going political has hurt them just as it has ESPN. People want a distraction with sports and not have to deal with politics of the day.

That's one game between two shit teams. It's so overblown its not even funny. Put Dallas vs New England on MNF and it will probably break all sorts of records. Yet we are supposed to go by a Colts-Titans game as the downfall of NFL TV ratings.  The NFL hasn't gone political at all, only if you are consumed with Trump and politics and want to fight every petty fight he wants to fight for him are you letting the NFL and politics ruin the games. The NFL is still the highest rated show on all of TV. If its down a few percentage points it doesn't' mean the sky is falling chicken little!  Roll Eyes
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2017, 12:55:23 pm »

That's one game between two shit teams. It's so overblown its not even funny. Put Dallas vs New England on MNF and it will probably break all sorts of records. Yet we are supposed to go by a Colts-Titans game as the downfall of NFL TV ratings.  The NFL hasn't gone political at all, only if you are consumed with Trump and politics and want to fight every petty fight he wants to fight for him are you letting the NFL and politics ruin the games. The NFL is still the highest rated show on all of TV. If its down a few percentage points it doesn't' mean the sky is falling chicken little!  Roll Eyes
Spit in someones face while protesting and it doesn't matter what your protesting.  Many people believe disrespecting the national anthem is the same as spitting in the face of people who gave the ultimate sacrifice for this country.  People can say the spit wasn't mean to offend but to get your attention all they want but the fact remains the person spit on is only insulted and pissed. That anger started last year and Trump has nothing to do with that. The current argument that Trump is responsible is a stupid argument. Many people upset can't stand Trump.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2017, 01:00:42 pm »

Many people believe disrespecting the national anthem is the same as spitting in the face of people who gave the ultimate sacrifice for this country. 

And many people think those people (including many who served) served so that someone would have the freedom of speech to stand, kneel, sing along, etc.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2017, 01:04:22 pm »

And many people think those people (including many who served) served so that someone would have the freedom of speech to stand, kneel, sing along, etc.
I'd say way less think that.  In fact I read an article stating how come no players who believe in standing were invited to yesterdays meeting since the are the clear majority. Jacksonville heard such an uproar they have gone as far as to apologize to the city residents and the Navy who were offended by their kneeling in London.

The good thing about this country is you are free to do whatever you want but there are consequences.

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Jacksonville Jaguars president Mark Lamping has apologized to the city of Jacksonville's director of military affairs chief and local military representatives for not fully understanding the potential impact of several players' decision to kneel during the national anthem before their Sept. 24 game against the Baltimore Ravens in London.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21052566/jacksonville-jaguars-president-apologizes-city-official-players-kneeling-national-anthem-london
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 01:06:54 pm by CF DolFan » Logged

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2017, 01:19:50 pm »

The good thing about this country is you are free to do whatever you want but there are consequences.

I agree completely... Like taking insurance away from the poor and needy so you can give a bunch of your billionaire buddies massive tax cuts. Still waiting to see the consequences for that, but I do understand how you would prioritize a perceived slight to a piece of fabric over the lives of the people.

OK, I don't actually see how you could do that...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2017, 03:41:49 pm »

but I do understand how you would prioritize a perceived slight to a piece of fabric over the lives of the people.
The key word is perceived. Many people would say that the players are protesting a perceived slight. Especially when facts and statistics say that in the US people killed by lightning are rare occurrences. But yet, lightning kills more people than unarmed blacks that are killed by law enforcement yearly. Especially when more Whites and Hispanics die from law enforcement than blacks yearly. In light of those facts, common sense would say that unarmed blacks killed by law enforcement is a rare occurrence. But then again, common sense doesn't account for the player's unfounded perceptions of reality.

mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2017, 01:38:21 am »

Did I miss the lightning strikes protests?  Shit!!!! George Soros paid a lot of money for me to go to those.  He's gonna be so pissed at the next meeting all liberals attend.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2017, 02:39:55 am »

The key word is perceived. Many people would say that the players are protesting a perceived slight. Especially when facts and statistics say that in the US people killed by lightning are rare occurrences. But yet, lightning kills more people than unarmed blacks that are killed by law enforcement yearly.
Over the last decade, more people have been in the U.S. by lightning strikes than Islamic terrorists, yet Islamic terrorism is still perceived to be a major threat to the security of the republic.

Let us not compare things like weather events, or heart disease, or auto accidents - things which are not carried out with purpose by a human agent - to intentional violence that results in a loss of life.

pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2017, 04:54:39 am »

Over the last decade, more people have been in the U.S. by lightning strikes than Islamic terrorists, yet Islamic terrorism is still perceived to be a major threat to the security of the republic.

Let us not compare things like weather events, or heart disease, or auto accidents - things which are not carried out with purpose by a human agent - to intentional violence that results in a loss of life.
Of course one is worse than the other in a sense. However, we are not comparing the outcome of said occurrences or moral equivalency. We are comparing rate of occurrence. If the numbers of both relative to population are on par with each other. And one is considered a rare occurrence, then by default the other is a rare occurrence. Likewise, if the rate of occurrence is considered rare, then there is no epidemic. How can one thing be rare and the other thing be an epidemic when the numbers for both are basically the same? Just because one is perceived bad and one is a natural random occurrence? Numbers don't work like that.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2017, 11:31:16 am »

ummm ... Islamic terrorists killed almost 3000 on 9-11 and more have died since then with 9-11 illnesses. I think it's going to take a long time for lightning to catch up.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2017, 11:45:31 am »

^^^What is 9-11 illness?
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2017, 12:18:10 pm »

^^^What is 9-11 illness?
Cancer related things from the dust are what sticks out in my mind as well as some suicides but many other diseases too.

9/11’S SECOND WAVE: CANCER AND OTHER DISEASES LINKED TO THE 2001 ATTACKS ARE SURGING
http://www.newsweek.com/2016/09/16/9-11-death-toll-rising-496214.html

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2017, 12:19:18 pm »

ummm ... Islamic terrorists killed almost 3000 on 9-11 and more have died since then with 9-11 illnesses. I think it's going to take a long time for lightning to catch up.
Lightning had more than a 200-year head start on killing Americans in this country.  Lightning has a huge lead and 9/11 barely made a dent.

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2017, 01:02:13 pm »

SI did a story on the decline in ratings....
https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/10/19/nfl-ratings-decline-owners-players-meeting-mmqb

This part down the article,IMO states pretty much how I feel (I think think the numbers are down based upon the protests are udder effin B.S.)
Now, it’s also important to understand that TV ratings across the board—not just sports—are dropping for a large number of reasons, mostly related to technology, the amount of options people have, and cord cutting.

In fact, one team executive looked at the numbers, and actually didn’t see them as all bad. He said, “I took away that compared to TV, the NFL is actually stronger year over year, compared to other programming. But the league does need to better understand how change in habits will affect ratings long-term.”

That said, this is an NFL that has grown used to having everything it touches land on a permanent upward trajectory in both profitability and popularity, so seeing any sort of decline is jarring to some of the guys in that room. And one of those people is Jones, who is nothing if not a master at understanding how to monetize anything you could possibly put in front of him.

Another part of the article

Again, no one is claiming that fights with the White House’s social media wing and players kneeling during the anthem are even close to the only reasons for the professional football model being shaken up a bit. But the fact is, that model has been shaken up a bit, and the league doesn’t sit on its hands waiting for situations like this to steady themselves.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray