Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:43:06 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  NFL audience numbers continue to decline
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: NFL audience numbers continue to decline  (Read 6316 times)
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2017, 03:02:34 pm »

Lightning strikes and 9/11 illnesses. Methinks the topic of the NFL's TV ratings has gone far afield...

Thanks for sharing that article, B...

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2017, 08:53:26 am »

Even with these so called "declining ratings".....the NFL signs record deal with Verizon

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/940205400779042817
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2017, 09:24:02 am »

^ The Verizon deal is really difficult to evaluate. It isn't just an extension of a current deal, but a completely new deal that carves out a new market segment. The old deal only allowed Verizon to stream in-market games to mobile phones of Verizon customers. The new deal expands that to basically anyone with a tablet or a phone, covering all games that aren't exclusive to Sunday Ticket (in that market), including preseason, playoffs and the Super Bowl. Some reports even indicate that ANY web-connected device (including TVs) is covered by the deal (e.g. Variety):

"live-stream gridiron action to any mobile, web and connected-TV device nationwide under a new five-year pact with the league."

(source)

That would be a shocker, though, and I cannot see how the other rights holders would agree to this, so unless this starts being reported by everyone else, I would consider it very likely to be incorrect.

Additionally, Verizon gains access to certain non-game VoD content, including highlights and even original content.

Verizon does lose their streaming exclusivity status, although details on this are not available.

Overall, the deal broadens the number of devices that can receive NFL games while unlikely to hurt ratings among traditional rights-holders. For that Verizon is paying $400 million a year for 5 years (compared to $250 million a year for the old deal). In comparison, the NFL currently rakes in about $7 billion a year on its TV deals, so this is still small potatoes.
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray