Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:59:39 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Alonso's hit on Flacco and why the QB protection rule is bad
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Alonso's hit on Flacco and why the QB protection rule is bad  (Read 2408 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: October 27, 2017, 10:39:50 am »

I'm not trying to debate that Alonso should get flagged.  That's the rule, so it is what it is.  However, what is Alonso supposed to do?  In order for him to not unload on Flacco, he has to assume that Flacco is going to slide prior to the first down.  But Flacco is running full speed towards the marker.  What's stopping him from just getting the yardage? 

There is a similar problem with the late hit out-of-bounds rule.  In order to not hit someone, you have to assume that they're going to not cut upfield at the last moment.

I am all for protecting players and want it to be as safe an environment as possible.
But the rule is written in a way that tries to have its cake and eat it too. 
Flacco did not give himself up in the open field to avoid a hit -- he tried to make the play, instead. 
In fact, he'd have been safer if there was no rule at all, because he would've had to protect himself, rather than tee-ing himself up to be obliterated.

The rule should be changed.  If you give yourself up to avoid a hit, I'm all for it.  But like a fair-catch, you need to make that decision and give the signal well prior to the point of contact.  Once you're trying to make the football play, you're giving up you slide-protection.

I drink your milkshake!
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 01:03:58 pm »

Alonzo at least had time to attempt pulling up and he didn't. I have no issue with a penalty being called but I do think they need to change the rule. If a QB doesn't want to be hit then they need to take a knee. It's way too hard to try and decide if a QB is giving up or just faking it. If they take a knee or have to have their butt planted firmly on the ground they will lose a yard or two but it will protect them and the defensive players trying to defend them. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 01:27:16 pm »

If we're going to go down this road, there needs to be some sort of equivalent of the fair catch signaling rule, but for QBs.  This slide-at-the-last-moment stuff is worse than nothing at all.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 01:28:49 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 03:11:06 pm »

If this had been a college game Alonzo would have been ejected for targeting. You cannot elbow someone in the head. I don't care if they are sliding or not. I didn't hear the commentators because I was at pool league but the issue as I saw it was the elbow to the head.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 03:16:51 pm »

Most of the commentators defended Alonso in some fashion, but admitted that it was a penalty.

I drink your milkshake!
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 03:42:23 pm »

Most of the commentators defended Alonso in some fashion, but admitted that it was a penalty.

Which I think is correct.  If Alonso wasn't coming at him full speed Flacco wouldn't have slid at that point; then it was a late, terrible slide by Flacco (as his feet seemed to catch and he stayed  upright).
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2017, 06:34:47 pm »

If this had been a college game Alonzo would have been ejected for targeting. You cannot elbow someone in the head. I don't care if they are sliding or not. I didn't hear the commentators because I was at pool league but the issue as I saw it was the elbow to the head.

It was more of a shoulder to the head:

And it hit him in the head because he slid at the last moment.  Had he stayed upright, it would have been a shoulder to the midsection.

And guess what happens if Alonso goes lower and Flacco doesn't slide?  Flacco's knee gets detonated and Alonso is dirty for intentionally injuring him.

It was a late slide by Flacco.

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 11:55:15 am »

If we're going to go down this road, there needs to be some sort of equivalent of the fair catch signaling rule, but for QBs.  This slide-at-the-last-moment stuff is worse than nothing at all.
Agreed. The rule as it stands puts the defensive player in an unfair position. If the goal is to protect the QB then the QB should have to clearly give themselves up like a returner with the fair catch rule.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2017, 11:58:42 am »

Agreed. The rule as it stands puts the defensive player in an unfair position. If the goal is to protect the QB then the QB should have to clearly give themselves up like a returner with the fair catch rule.
It would be funny to see a QB waive his hand like a fair catch when he's about to get lit up lol.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 02:51:13 pm »

Why should a QB be protected any more than any other player on the field? In the pocket I can agree with some added protections for the QB. But when a QB leaves the pocket and decides to be a running back to gain yardage, they should be fair game like any other player on the field. Fuck all that sliding shit. If you want to be considered down, take a knee. If you are moving forward you should be eligible to get lit up...

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2017, 03:05:18 pm »

Any player can avail themselves of running QB protections by sliding feet first.  But if you're not the extremely important QB and you slide feet first, you're a Coward Who Isn't Putting Team Success First.

My idea for "fair catch" would be putting your hand on the top of your helmet, which immediately marks you down and the play dead (at which point the runner can still stay upright and protect himself).  And of course, any player would be able to use this, though in practice only QBs would.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray