Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:37:40 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Should we have Thursday Night Football?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: How should the NFL treat Thursday Night Football?
Eliminate it   -6 (54.5%)
Lessen and change it   -3 (27.3%)
Keep it   -2 (18.2%)
Total Voters: 11

Author Topic: Should we have Thursday Night Football?  (Read 2130 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: October 27, 2017, 10:46:35 am »

IMO, Thursday Night games aren't fair for the away team.

You get beat up on Sunday, then you have basically Monday and Tuesday to prepare for the next team AND to rest your body, and then you're on a plane on Wednesday.  It's just brutal and part of why the games are so bad.

I would be in favor of removing Thursday night games for most weeks, and only have them in cases where the away team (preferably both teams, really) are coming off a bye week. 

I drink your milkshake!
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 11:28:43 am »

What do the stats say? The only numbers I could find via a quick Google search were a few years old and were pretty inconclusive. Certainly nothing that pointed to any massive disadvantage for the away team.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 01:44:01 pm »

Keep it...I love watching football on Thursday (or any other) night.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 03:12:15 pm »

I miss the key Thursday night college games. Drop the NFL game and play interesting college football on Thursday and I'm fine with it.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 03:46:29 pm »

They won't get rid of it, or reduce it, it makes them too much money.  I like it when it's just a few games near the end of the season, not all season long.  Usually I won't watch unless it's a good matchup that I'm interested in.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2017, 01:34:41 pm »

As long as the home team had a road game, and the visiting team a home game the week before, neither team has an unfair advantage or disadvantage.  The team that is better organized and efficient has the advantage.  Thursday night games give a huge edge to the better coaching and front office.

And both teams now have 10 days to prepare for their next game.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 03:52:28 pm »

I say reduce it.   A Thursday night game every week is unnecessary and hurts teams.  Keep it limited to the opening week, one week in late September, one week in late October, and Thanksgiving week.   The teams that are playing those Thursday night games get a bye week beforehand 

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 10:22:11 am »

My Opinion being extremely bias for the Dolphins,I couldn't care less if there is a game on Thursday night or not,as I only watch Dolphins games.I honestly don't want the Dolphins to play on a Thursday night,I'm not wild about Sunday night,or Monday nights either... Undecided

I'm more curious to know if there is a higher injury risk to playing 2 games in a 4 day period,vs those who play once every 6-7 days.IMO it's much more detrimental to those teams  might be somewhat dinged up,the previous week,with less time to heal...

(Modified to correct Couldn't  Embarrassed Tongue Sorry!)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 11:04:38 am by DaLittle B » Logged

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2017, 10:29:51 am »

Incognito video complaining about having to play on Thursday: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21270122/richie-incognito-buffalo-bills-critical-thursday-night-football-games

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2017, 10:30:09 am »

My Opinion being extremely bias for the Dolphins,I could care less if there is a game on Thursday night or not,as I only watch Dolphins games.I honestly don't want the Dolphins to play on a Thursday night,I'm not wild about Sunday night,or Monday nights either... Undecided

I'm more curious to know if there is a higher injury risk to playing 2 games in a 4 day period,vs those who play once every 6-7 days.IMO it's much more detrimental to those teams  might be somewhat dinged up,the previous week,with less time to heal...

*Couldn't care less
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 03:10:08 pm »

*Couldn't care less
Ten strikes again!!!

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2017, 01:21:08 pm »

Seems most of the T.V. execes believe it's over saturation for as at least part of declining ratings...(Mentioning CBS Sports chairman as the latest to mention it,NBC and Fox exes seem to think so also.
http://awfulannouncing.com/nfl/cbs-sports-chairman-sean-mcmanus-reverses-stance-blames-dilution-saturation-nfl-ratings-dip.html

Va Andrew abrahamson,tweeted the link to Awfulannouncing.com

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray