Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 03:32:20 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  What are you watching - 10/27/2017 - Cord Cutting Edition
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: What are you watching - 10/27/2017 - Cord Cutting Edition  (Read 5350 times)
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« on: October 27, 2017, 01:57:09 pm »

Now cable-less, I'm leaning on various streaming services for shows that I've been meaning to watch.

Right now, I'm watching:

Star Trek Discovery (CBS All-Access)
This show rocks.  I love it and I recommend everyone watch it, even if you're not traditionally into Star Trek.  It's a very different tone and vibe than any Trek before and because it's serialized, it leaves you guessing from week to week.

The Handmaid's Tale (Hulu)
A religious-based, dystopian future where women have no rights and fertility rates plummet, causing strange breeding practices.  It makes me so mad -- similar to how I felt about that bitch who locked up Cersei in the dungeon in Game of Thrones.  This show won the Emmy for best drama, I think.  It's good stuff, but not many people have Hulu, so they're not watching it.

Coming Soon for me:
Mindhunter (Netflix)
Transparent (Amazon)
The Man From High Castle (Amazon)
The Duece (HBO)
Stranger Things 2 (Netflix)
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 02:35:00 pm by Dave Gray » Logged

I drink your milkshake!
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 02:31:58 pm »

I can give you a vote for Man in the High Castle.  I like it, gets pretty weird though.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 02:58:32 pm »

I'm watching Star Trek Discovery now as well, and wholeheartedly agree with Dave's assessment. If you like any kind of sci-fi at all, you have to give this show a shot.

I'm caught up on Gotham finally...and this show has definitely improved over the past few seasons.

Supernatural...the one constant in my TV-watching universe. I just can't get enough of those Winchester brothers.

Just watched a really cool 3-part miniseries on BBC called Gunpowder. It starred Kit Harrington from GoT, and is a historically accurate (read: blood, gore and a few uncomfortable moments) dramatization of the Gunpowder Plot of 1605 (the back story for the movie V for Vendetta)

Football, football and more football.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 03:14:09 pm »

Coming Soon for me:
Mindhunter (Netflix)

I'm one episode in and it was a bit slow but interesting enough that I'm going to watch more.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 03:17:58 pm »

^ Everything I've heard is that the first episode is good, but a slog.  Then the groundwork is laid for the show to get good.

I drink your milkshake!
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2017, 05:40:47 pm »

Stranger things 2 (going to start watching in a little bit) Netflix -I binged watched the 1st season the day I got netflix
Grace and Frankie

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 07:39:13 pm »

Regarding Star Trek Discovery... Is it really good? I've watched the first two episodes and I really didn't like any aspect of it. I love Star Trek, I love sci fi...

Man in the High Castle... I've read (and liked) the book, so I'll probably give this a try at some point.

Not really watching anything specific these days.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 09:24:19 am »

I just mega-binged the entire first season of Mindhunter this past week, and I am absolutely hooked. Definitely a different kind of crime drama.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

WWW Email
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 09:26:05 am »

Regarding Star Trek Discovery... Is it really good? I've watched the first two episodes and I really didn't like any aspect of it. I love Star Trek, I love sci fi...

Yes, it is.

The first two episodes are a prologue to the series.  The show literally isn't about what the first two episodes are.  You haven't even seen the show until episode 3, at the very least.

I drink your milkshake!
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 10:36:22 am »

Supernatural- sort of by accident, clicked on it last night,then read the description,watched a couple of episodes...

Watched an episode or part of season, because I was bored didn't like, predictable,etc.etc...
Penny dreadful
Ozark
Grace and Frankie
(bedbuddy isn't here, I dumped it,as I liked it for a few episodes,then it bored me)
Lore
Under the Dome
Alpha house
MTV's Teen wolf
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 10:42:34 am by DaLittle B » Logged

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2017, 10:48:17 am »

^^^ You didn't like Ozark or Penny Dreadful?  Shocked, I liked both of those.

I don't watch Teen Wolf, but my wife does.  She said it got better and more dark as the series progressed.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 03:40:34 pm »

Ozark- I had ZERO interest in watching,this type of show,living in the OZARKS (and it's not actually shot in the area),predictable,and I'm not big Jason Bateman fanl,might be ok as a movie, as a series...NO. So I got out voted by Wife,Mom,and bed buddy 3 to 1, but I agreed to watch 1 episode,and as I predicted the majority of the episode,they relented to not watch it...

Penny Dreadful - I love the idea of it,the monsters,the cast,but the story dragged so bad...Something cool would happen,then drag,and make me wonder where is this story going...I watched 4-5 episodes into season one.

Teen wolf- had the similar problem then ran into what I think is bad writing,shitty shows use. A good guy character does something bad,then is all good again by the end of an episode.A conflict a rises that probably be worked for better detail over the entire episode,or episodes,instead it's solved in 10 minutes to a new crisis..

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 03:45:48 pm »

Ozark- I had ZERO interest in watching,this type of show,living in the OZARKS (and it's not actually shot in the area),predictable,and I'm not big Jason Bateman fanl,might be ok as a movie, as a series...NO. So I got out voted by Wife,Mom,and bed buddy 3 to 1, but I agreed to watch 1 episode,and as I predicted the majority of the episode,they relented to not watch it...

Penny Dreadful - I love the idea of it,the monsters,the cast,but the story dragged so bad...Something cool would happen,then drag,and make me wonder where is this story going...I watched 4-5 episodes into season one.

Teen wolf- had the similar problem then ran into what I think is bad writing,shitty shows use. A good guy character does something bad,then is all good again by the end of an episode.A conflict a rises that probably be worked for better detail over the entire episode,or episodes,instead it's solved in 10 minutes to a new crisis..
Yeah, she said it got away from that formula and more of a story that would carry from episode to episode.  Also, the main character is probably the worst part about the show lol.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 04:47:08 pm »

So I got out voted by Wife,Mom,and bed buddy 3 to 1
Your wife and your bed buddy are two different people?
Not a bad deal if you can swing it, I suppose.

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 04:52:15 pm »

Your wife and your bed buddy are two different people?
Not a bad deal if you can swing it, I suppose.
Hehe...swing it.

ICWUTUDIDTHAR!
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray