Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:49:53 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Around the NFL (Moderators: Spider-Dan, MyGodWearsAHoodie)
| | |-+  Pats trade JimmyG to 49ers
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print
Author Topic: Pats trade JimmyG to 49ers  (Read 17052 times)
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« on: October 30, 2017, 08:52:51 pm »

For only a 2nd round pick. Word is they had offers of just a 1st rounder from Cleveland in April but insisted it wasn't enough and asked for multiple picks in return. Now they settle for just a 2nd round pick.

Pats getting killed for this trade. And with how Brissett is playing for Indy (not  a star, but decent actually) I don't understand why the Pats are clearing out their QB's with Brady who is now 40.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 10:30:56 pm »

Not surprising given Brady has remained healthy this year, and wants to continue playing for a couple more years.  It wouldn't have been very Patriotlike to pay Garoppolo big money to ride the bench.

IMO Garoppolo is thee most overrated QB in the NFL.  In his three seasons he has completed a total of 63 passes for a mere 690 yards, yet he is raved about.  He had a great college career, but it was Eastern Illinois, not exactly a D-1 powerhouse.  Now that he has gone to the 49ers, lets face it they suck, he is going to have to really prove himself.  I hope he enjoys his two SB rings because it's not likely he'll be sniffing another for quite some time.
Downunder Dolphan
Uber Member

Fins Fan since 2nd January 1982

Email
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2017, 11:41:30 pm »

For only a 2nd round pick. Word is they had offers of just a 1st rounder from Cleveland in April but insisted it wasn't enough and asked for multiple picks in return. Now they settle for just a 2nd round pick.

Pats getting killed for this trade. And with how Brissett is playing for Indy (not  a star, but decent actually) I don't understand why the Pats are clearing out their QB's with Brady who is now 40.

I read the contract has to do with it only being a 2nd rounder - or more specifically that he comes out of contract at the end of this season. 49ers only have half a season to evaluate if he is worth shelling out $$$ for next year onwards.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 10:33:57 am »

Both the Pats and the Bills now have seven picks in the first two rounds for 2018.  I'm guessing the Pats are looking to trade up and draft Brady's replacement

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 06:33:32 pm »

Both the Pats and the Bills now have seven picks in the first two rounds for 2018.  I'm guessing the Pats are looking to trade up and draft Brady's replacement

Combined not both.  nep has an extra 2nd, bills an extra 1 & 2.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 06:35:33 pm »

I read the contract has to do with it only being a 2nd rounder - or more specifically that he comes out of contract at the end of this season. 49ers only have half a season to evaluate if he is worth shelling out $$$ for next year onwards.

They bought the right to franchise him.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2017, 09:22:06 am »

The 49ers tried to get Garoppolo during the offseason, so not 100% shocked that this trade happened. I am about as excited as I can be over a QB with two career starts though, and hope he turns out to be the franchise QB that we need.

Bottom line on this deal, at least to me, is that we only had to give up a second round pick (albeit a very high 2nd rounder) for "another" potential solution to our QB problems. If Garoppolo meets the lofty expectations, sign him long-term or tag him and work out the extension next year. If he doesn't show himself to be the answer, we can still go after Kirk Cousins this offseason. If Cousins doesn't sign, we can still tag Garoppolo, draft one of the elite QB prospects in this class (which would make me sad, as I really-really want Saquon Barkley as Hyde's replacement), and use Garoppolo as a bridge until the prospect is ready.

We still have a significant amount of draft capital, plus a ton of cap room. This is obviously a write-off season for SF, but at least I like the direction we're going now.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2017, 12:56:27 pm »

The 49ers tried to get Garoppolo during the offseason, so not 100% shocked that this trade happened. I am about as excited as I can be over a QB with two career starts though, and hope he turns out to be the franchise QB that we need.

Bottom line on this deal, at least to me, is that we only had to give up a second round pick (albeit a very high 2nd rounder) for "another" potential solution to our QB problems. If Garoppolo meets the lofty expectations, sign him long-term or tag him and work out the extension next year. If he doesn't show himself to be the answer, we can still go after Kirk Cousins this offseason. If Cousins doesn't sign, we can still tag Garoppolo, draft one of the elite QB prospects in this class (which would make me sad, as I really-really want Saquon Barkley as Hyde's replacement), and use Garoppolo as a bridge until the prospect is ready.

We still have a significant amount of draft capital, plus a ton of cap room. This is obviously a write-off season for SF, but at least I like the direction we're going now.

The Ironic part is the better he is the less he will cost.  If he sucks he could cost SF the 33rd pick.  If he is great, possibly something in the low 40s

Tagging him to use a bridge makes no sense.  There are cheaper options to use as a place holder.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 01:00:42 pm by MyGodWearsAHoodie » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 03:15:33 pm »

It is rare I criticize BB for anything, but damn, if you wanted Hoyer why risk not getting him?  Deal should have been JB for 2nd round and BH.   

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2017, 03:55:12 pm »

Combined not both.  nep has an extra 2nd, bills an extra 1 & 2.

With the way SF is playing, their 2nd will basically be a low 1st.  If you're Cleveland, San Fran, Tampa, or the Giants, would you trade out of your top five pick for all three of New England's first and second round picks?

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2017, 05:14:37 pm »

It is rare I criticize BB for anything, but damn, if you wanted Hoyer why risk not getting him?  Deal should have been JB for 2nd round and BH.   
The word is that including Hoyer would have affected compensatory draft picks for one of the two teams.

edit: Yep.  NE wasn't sure if getting Hoyer via trade would mean they would have to give up one of the 4th round compensatory picks they are scheduled to receive.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 05:16:44 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2017, 06:07:56 pm »

The word is that including Hoyer would have affected compensatory draft picks for one of the two teams.

edit: Yep.  NE wasn't sure if getting Hoyer via trade would mean they would have to give up one of the 4th round compensatory picks they are scheduled to receive.

Well......that is pretty consistent if I am disagreeing with BB it means I am wrong

MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 02:10:22 pm »

This whole "Cleveland offered ___ last year" stuff...

Did ANYONE ever actually verify this?  Or did someone pull it out thin air and we've all run with it since?  I've read that not only did Cleveland not offer their 1st rounder they never wanted Jimmy G. 

It is possible it was believed to be the case and there was never a chance NE was ever going to get more than a 2nd rounder for an unproven QB with less than 10 QUARTERS under his belt?

NE made out well in this.  They drafted the kid w/a 2nd.  Had a good insurance policy for a couple years then shipped him out for a higher 2nd.  It's like driving a car for two or three years and getting more than you paid for it in a trade.  When has that ever happened to you?

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 02:31:09 pm »

This whole "Cleveland offered ___ last year" stuff...

Did ANYONE ever actually verify this?  Or did someone pull it out thin air and we've all run with it since?  I've read that not only did Cleveland not offer their 1st rounder they never wanted Jimmy G. 

Numerous places confirmed it. Google it. Heck it was reported on draft night on both NFL Network and ESPN that the pats wanted the higher of the Browns first round picks not the lower of the first round picks and Cleveland wasn't budging
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 02:46:46 pm »

Numerous places confirmed it. Google it.

Per Google:

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/Bolt/Cleveland-Browns-did-not-offer-first-round-NFL-Draft-pick-for-Ji-109728409

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray