Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:00:28 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Jay Ajayi traded to Eagles
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print
Author Topic: Jay Ajayi traded to Eagles  (Read 7847 times)
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #30 on: October 31, 2017, 02:34:40 pm »

The Dolphins agree fine in terms of cap space. Sure, it's a bit tight this year, but the sole reason for that is Cutler. Remove his ten million and Dolphins are in the top half in cap space. Next year isn't too bad with most players signed. Unless you want a big off-season move, it's not a big issue. Plus, there are a bunch of underperforming players in the 1-3 million bracket that would make obvious candidates for the Turk.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #31 on: October 31, 2017, 02:40:35 pm »

WTF just happened? Is this real life?

Meh, I'm ok with the trade I guess. I know our OL sucks, but to me is seems something is off with Ajayi this year. Doesn't seem to give the effort on every play. He's had some good runs this year, not nearly enough of them though. I guess we'll see what the other two guys have to offer. I'd like to see Gase use more split backs/pro set formations.

Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: October 31, 2017, 03:08:51 pm »

The Dolphins agree fine in terms of cap space. Sure, it's a bit tight this year, but the sole reason for that is Cutler. Remove his ten million and Dolphins are in the top half in cap space. Next year isn't too bad with most players signed. Unless you want a big off-season move, it's not a big issue. Plus, there are a bunch of underperforming players in the 1-3 million bracket that would make obvious candidates for the Turk.

And a name i left off in my last post was Lawrence Timmons who now because he went AWOL lost his guaranteed money next year in 2018 and Miami can cut him and open up a bunch of cap space there. Miami is in fine cap shape come March 2018. 5 draft picks in the first 4 rounds too isn't bad either.
fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2017, 03:47:57 pm »

Timmons has been GREAT,  so while he may be cheap to get rid of, I really hope the Dolphins don't do that.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2017, 03:59:02 pm »

Timmons has been GREAT,  so while he may be cheap to get rid of, I really hope the Dolphins don't do that.

He quit on his team on the eve of the season. We just traded a guy who was upset with the coaches for not getting the ball enough. I doubt Timmons is back next year especially when the coaches will have months and a draft to replace him at a much cheaper rate.

We will see.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2017, 06:30:39 pm »

I'm very surprised at this turn of events.  If I had to guess, I think that Gase is trying to get a team of his guys playing his way -- he's willing to sacrifice talent to get there.

But I am not sure this sends the same message as trading him to the Browns.  If you won't follow my program as we cling to hopes of getting a wild card slot, then I am going to ship you off to the only 7-1 team in the league.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #36 on: October 31, 2017, 07:12:35 pm »

He quit on his team on the eve of the season. We just traded a guy who was upset with the coaches for not getting the ball enough. I doubt Timmons is back next year especially when the coaches will have months and a draft to replace him at a much cheaper rate.

We don't know the story behind it and he was only suspended a single game, so the brass don't exactly seem to be furious. Also, the guy is a veteran with ZERO history of stuff like that, so I think coaches would give him the benefit of the doubt. If he performs this season and works hard every week, helping teammates, setting the bar high, etc, then I don't see why you could possibly want to get rid of the guy.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2017, 08:11:34 pm »

If you won't follow my program as we cling to hopes of getting a wild card slot, then I am going to ship you off to the only 7-1 team in the league.
This is my only issue. Seems like he got rewarded for being difficult.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2017, 08:49:00 pm »

What you get for a player depends a LOT on who is making the call. I'm assuming that the 49'ers had been calling the Patriots for awhile asking about Garropolo. The Dolphins probably called Philly. HUGE difference. Honestly they were probably lucky to get a 4th rounder for him.

It's pretty obvious to me this had less to do with Ajayi's talent and more to do with him doing what he was being asked to do. Some of that was on the field and some of it was off it. Don't forget that Ajayi was benched last year for his attitude. That was strike one. Apparently he got 2 more strikes since then. I doubt this was a complete surprise to Ajayi.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 08:59:09 pm by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
mecadonzilla
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #39 on: November 01, 2017, 04:56:49 am »

If Gase had been any kind of poker player, there would be more to show than an end of the 4th round pick for (conservative estimate) a Pro Bowl player and the only real offensive weapon the team had.  It's one thing to trade a player.  It's another to get almost nothing in value for said player.  The Bills gave up more for Benjamin who is, literally, nothing, much less a rising star in the league.  Gase got to make a point, and that point was we'll send you to a contender if you challenge my soon to be waning authority.  This is Philbin territory stupid.  Gase has already shown utter stupidity in his ability to call plays this season.  This decision combined with his stubborn insistence on continuing the terrible play of Cutler regardless of results has lost my respect.

Perhaps if Drake and Williams could contribute to the roster, I would feel differently.  They've shown they're nothing more than bit players with almost no upside.  They've been given ample chances to cash in.  In that time, Williams has shown he's only usable as a passing down back, and Drake has only shown he's a mediocre kick returner at best.  If either one was capable of playing more, they would have by now.  They were given every opportunity by this coach to succeed, but were completely unable to do so. 

Also, what's the point in getting a draft pick?  Does anyone here have faith this staff could draft a decent player?  They can't even hit on first rounders. 
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2017, 08:45:31 am »

What you get for a player depends a LOT on who is making the call. I'm assuming that the 49'ers had been calling the Patriots for awhile asking about Garropolo. The Dolphins probably called Philly. HUGE difference. Honestly they were probably lucky to get a 4th rounder for him.

This is what I saw as well, that Dolphins approached PHI about a trade.

As much as it sucks that one of our top offensive players is gone, it just have to trust what Gase did was a good move for the team.  Apparently he had been confrontational with some coaches cause he wasn't touching the ball enough and pouted if they lost or didn't have a good game.

We'll find out for sure when Drake and Williams get the ball in the upcoming games.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2017, 01:25:25 pm »

This is my only issue. Seems like he got rewarded for being difficult.

Real chance he could get a ring out of it.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2017, 03:24:17 pm »

Good move, I like it. I never understood the love affair for this guy.  He dazzled a handful of fans last year with a few 200+ yard games into thinking he's an elite RB.

He's not. His stat line last year was SO overblown.  His 4.9 yards per carry was boosted by games like:

9/25 (CLE), 7 carries, 28 yards, 4.0 average
9/29, (CIN), 6 carries, 33 yards, 5.5 average
11/13, (SD), 19 carries, 79 yards, 4.2 average
11/20, (LA), 16 carries, 77 yards, 4.8 average

He broke 100 yards four times all season.  He was held at 50 yards or less seven times (and ran for 59 in another) - that's half the year.

This year?  He's right back to the same type of numbers as last year.  16 yards, 46 yards, 51 yards, 23 yards.

Nothing is "wrong" with the guy, he doesn't need to "get on track"...it's who he is.  That's why a 4th rounder is what Miami got for him.  He's not an elite back.  Don't over value the dude because he ripped of a couple decent games.  Decent player, not a game changer.

Jermone Harrison rushed for 290+ yards once in a game.  Know who he was?
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 03:26:48 pm by MaineDolFan » Logged

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2017, 03:38:11 pm »

Well that was a stunner.  This news came down while I was flying home from Maui (blatant brag comment) and when I got home, I saw it.   A 4th rounder seems like a terrible trade.  But the RB position is SO undervalued in the NFL these days.  That and the fact that it is starting to look like Ajayi might be the type to have a work ethic issue (conjecture on my part) might make it a little more understanding though.  Sure looks like they are raising the white flag on this season.  But if we make an honest assessment of this team, they are going nowhere this year anyway.  Most of the wins they do have could very easily have been losses where the win came more because the opponent gave the game away more than that the Fins earned the win.  This team is never boring, that is for sure.  Funny how the offense is boring and predictable, but the soap opera that follows the team is NEVER boring. 
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #44 on: November 01, 2017, 06:16:33 pm »

But I am not sure this sends the same message as trading him to the Browns.  If you won't follow my program as we cling to hopes of getting a wild card slot, then I am going to ship you off to the only 7-1 team in the league.

I hadn't thought about it but you bring up a good point; with Philly high in the standings this is almost a fifth round pick!  Conversely talking heads rag on the Pats for "only" getting a second rounder for Garoppolo, when it's really more like a late first round pick (since there are usually about 40 guys that "should" go in the first round, and a handful of guys picked in the 1st round that are projected for the third or fourth round).

Heck I bet the Dolphins could have gotten better from the Cowboys.

It seems for several years the Dolphins seem to do a lot of trades with Philly.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray