Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:57:52 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  T.V:How long does it take for you to figure out if you like a show?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: T.V:How long does it take for you to figure out if you like a show?  (Read 1864 times)
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« on: November 02, 2017, 10:42:18 am »

This has been a really bad problem for me for awhile...I noticed it got mentioned  in the what are your watching cord cutting edition thread....

How do you determine you like a show,and when do you say this sucks, I'm done with it? etc?

1-2 episode and you can tell you are already going to really like the show? a season's worth of shows?

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 01:44:56 pm »

It depends on the type of show. If it is completely outlandish I know before I finish the first episode. If it is just slow I usually give it a few to see if that was just the setup.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 01:47:28 pm »

I didn't even get through the first episode of Ghosted.

Most of the time I'll give it 2-3 episodes.  Under the Dome I gave a whole season...terrible show, waste of time.
Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 02:09:18 pm »

I can tell if I'm not going to like the tone of a show almost immediately.  This is especially true for comedies.  There is a set-up/knock-down style of certain shows that just turns me off instantly.

For dramas, I usually research before I begin so I rarely get into something I'm not likely to want to watch.  I usually will give something a full season, at least, unless it's completely uninteresting to me. 

I drink your milkshake!
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 03:52:02 pm »

Under the Dome - I went 7.5 episodes,and I said..enough...

I don't like superhero,and most cop shows.Comedies,I'm really,really tough on anymore. Brockmire is about the only one I'd claim I like right now,they tend to lose what's funny about them too fast...

I find shows that I can relate too in some way,I tend to stick with a lot longer.I love shows set in another time period for me seems to fairly common in a lot of the shows I like...IE Ripper street,Stranger things,The Wire (one of the few cop show I loved). For me those shows I relate to,and set in another time period generally get at least a season.

Thundergod
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 02:51:45 am »

Usually takes me one episode to decide.

There have been a few times where I outright quit a show throughout the season. Examples: I got four episodes into the second season of the Walking Dead before I said F this boring ass soap opera crap.

I got four seasons into the Big Bang Theory before the premise of the show shifted and became unfunny.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 09:51:16 am »

I didn't even get through the first episode of Ghosted.

Most of the time I'll give it 2-3 episodes.  Under the Dome I gave a whole season...terrible show, waste of time.

Too funny... I also aborted midway through the first episode of Ghosted. I also gave Under the Dome a full season before saying "why the hell did I waste that much time watching this crap?"

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 01:36:13 pm »

If I don't like the previews for a show I won't even bother watching to start with.  If it seems interesting I'll give it a few episodes before dumping it.  What I hate is when the first couple episodes are good, then it goes to crap and I end up watching a whole season and a half expecting it to be good.  Under the Dome is a good example, I liked the premise of the show and initially it was good.  Then it went downhill later in the first season, and became unwatchable the second season, but I kept watching hoping it would get better.  Sometimes I dump a show only to come back to it in later seasons, like Breaking Bad.  I watched BB initially, then dumped it because it seemed the guy was never gonna die of cancer; then I binge watched some seasons later and actually liked it better.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray