Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:46:40 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Midpoint of the 2017 Season
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Midpoint of the 2017 Season  (Read 2070 times)
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« on: November 06, 2017, 08:46:44 am »

4-4 half way thru the 2017 season, and yet it doesn't feel good, unlike last year's 4-4 mark at the same point

Last nite's game was a chance to correct the ship after the 40-0 shallacking last Thursday nite.  A chance to defeat a Conf opponent and take a lead in that category, as well as gain some ground in the AFCE race after the Jets beat Buffalo a few days earlier.

Offensively, they did some things well, got some guys in space with some dropoff passes, hit some guys in the middle of the field and kept trying to run the ball.  One thing I did see was the back take their lumps in the middle of the line of scrimmage and take the 1-2, maybe 3 yd plunge instead of trying to reverse ground and hot something bigger.  Sometimes you got take what they give you.

They speak of this OL as a pass-first OL and that's what they're geared for.  They've got that right, cause they are awful in the run blocking category

Defensively, I thought they played well in spurts, but OAK definitely found a way to exploit the LBs on their TEs.  Kiko was burnt excessively in the 1st half and the pass rush didn't get to Carr AT ALL.  Now, did the field have something to do with it? Maybe, but that OAK OL kept kept the fearsome foursome at bay most of the nite

And by the way, Reshad Jones has been reading too many of press clippings.  Great on the run support, don't get me wrong there, but pass defense?  He looks lost at times and ready to point fingers.  Does he freelance? He got burnt on the 45 yd TD pass to a guy who only caught 2 passes this season?Huh Come on, man.

Then the play in the 4th Q, when Carr hit Roberts down the sideline on 3rd & 5 and Jones was near the line of scrimmage and then had to run opposite to catch up to Roberts who was wide open.  And by the way, that was a bad PF on Jones.  A clean hit in my opinion and plus Roberts is the one who ripped of Jones' helmet with the facemask.

Yes, the TO by Drake was bad and hurt us chance for points, but the penalties...penalties...penal ties really doomed this team last nite.  Several times, the team had positive, if not big yardage on plays, only to have the play called back because some idiot on the OL held.

What I see moving forward is a more of the offense we saw last nite with the quick dumpoffs to the backs, quick hits in the run games and some shots downfield with Parker (if he can stay healthy)  Hopefully, Ted Larsen coming back at LG can and will help.

3 of the next 4 games are winnable IMO, with NE sandwiched in there with the prob Loss. To be 7-5 4 weeks from now would be a blessing for what this team has experienced this season, from the Hurricane, loss of BYE week, the trip to London AND the cokehead OL coach.

Not too many teams have to put up with this half of this type of shit and yet they've experienced tenfold

We'll see what the second half brings them.

Finsup!!!!

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 08:50:33 am »

I really liked what I saw out of the team on offense yesterday, but those penalties were KILLER!  The refs were very strict with the flags, not that I'm blaming them.  Miami has to play more disciplined.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 10:37:07 am »

4 - 4 is about what I expected from this team at the halfway point.  But the way they got to 4 -4 sure hasn't been what I expected.  From getting "hurricaned out" in the first game, to the OL coach doing coke off a hooker's butt, to Ajayi getting traded, etc., It has been a crazy ride. 
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 03:13:36 pm »

Miami has the hardest schedule going forward of all teams in the NFL, based on strength of schedule calculation.  Miami looked good in the first half, overall, but had chances to win in the fourth and failed miserably.  I'm not feeling very confident going forward.
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 03:26:25 pm »

I don't know if it was do to "losing" Ajayi, but I loved the play calling in the first half. Lots of designed passes to running backs and tight ends, lots of non-gimmicky misdirection, both on passes and runs, nice non-straight-handoff runs. Really effective. Second half we were back to calling receiver screens and handing the ball of 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

I think that first half really showed how this offense needs to play for the rest of the season. If Gase goes back to straight handoffs, receiver screens,  and passing on third and eleven, we might as well just pack it in.

All in all, I doubt the Dolphins play meaningful games the last two or three weeks of the season, but the potential is there.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 05:39:34 pm »

Hopefully we drop the next 8 and get a Top 5 draft pick. We're not going anywhere this season, why ruin 2018 by going 8-8, missing the playoffs and picking 20th?

Basically, same story almost every year.
fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 07:53:15 am »

I don't think we can afford to lose that much. Sure, a high draft pick would be nice, but more than anything the Dolphins need to establish the franchise "culture". And that starts with winning.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 09:03:30 am »

I don't think we can afford to lose that much. Sure, a high draft pick would be nice, but more than anything the Dolphins need to establish the franchise "culture". And that starts with winning.

Agree, I think a good bit of the problems with this organization is the culture.  You start changing the culture, you get guys that buy in, play better, win games and then it starts to flow in the right direction.

MIA has definitely been a victim of the "culture" the last 15-20 years.  Yes, there's been a few bright spots in some years, but the culture there has been toxic at times. 

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 11:12:30 am »

There is a reason the Browns always suck and it isn't a lack of high draft picks
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 06:31:17 pm »

I don't know if it was do to "losing" Ajayi, but I loved the play calling in the first half. Lots of designed passes to running backs and tight ends, lots of non-gimmicky misdirection, both on passes and runs, nice non-straight-handoff runs. Really effective. Second half we were back to calling receiver screens and handing the ball of 5 yards behind the line of scrimmage.

I think that first half really showed how this offense needs to play for the rest of the season. If Gase goes back to straight handoffs, receiver screens,  and passing on third and eleven, we might as well just pack it in.

All in all, I doubt the Dolphins play meaningful games the last two or three weeks of the season, but the potential is there.
I think with both backs we could utilize much more split back/pro set formations. I don't think I've seen it at all. I think it would probably help in pass protection. Plus options to run or have one or both backs as receivers. I just don't like the plays that Gase has called this year.

fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 06:55:59 am »

I think with both backs we could utilize much more split back/pro set formations. I don't think I've seen it at all. I think it would probably help in pass protection. Plus options to run or have one or both backs as receivers. I just don't like the plays that Gase has called this year.

Can Drake even block?

My other worry with that strategy would be that it places more players significantly behind the line of scrimmage. We really want opposing defenses to back off a bit, not give them incentive to put even more guys in the box.
pondwater
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 04:00:51 pm »

Can Drake even block?

My other worry with that strategy would be that it places more players significantly behind the line of scrimmage. We really want opposing defenses to back off a bit, not give them incentive to put even more guys in the box.
Let them put everyone in the box, that's where I want them. From that formation you can split the TE out as a WR. Or you can go a true 3 wide. You'll still have the two backs that can block if needed or go into their routes. Then you always have the option to run to either of the backs with one blocking. Can you tell that I'm not happy with Gase play calling, haha.

fyo
Uber Member

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 05:46:26 pm »

^ Hasn't worked well so far...
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray