Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:54:33 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Off-Topic Board
| | |-+  Do you own a 4k T.V.?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Do you own a 4k T.V.?  (Read 2236 times)
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« on: November 09, 2017, 12:15:44 pm »

I'm curious what do you watch with it? Outside of 4k movies is there really any content worth watching?

I've noticed a lot of the Black Friday ads,seem to tout them,and the price has come down a ton on them. I feel it's not something I'd seek out if I was buying a new T.V.,I'm really still pretty darn happy with my 2013 65" 1080 model.

Dave Gray
Administrator
Uber Member

It's doo-doo, baby!

26384964 davebgray@comcast.net davebgray floridadavegray
WWW Email
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2017, 12:44:16 pm »

I do not.

Is it even an improvement if you don't have a really large TV?

I drink your milkshake!
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2017, 05:13:35 pm »

^ That would depend on how close you sit ;-)

But the biggest difference in image quality might not be in terms of pixels. HDR color and contrast are arguably more important, especially on a small TV (or a big one if you sit further away). Not all 4k TVs support these features and I certainly wouldn't buy a 4k TV today that didn't. You still need to have the source material that supports it, of course, which at the moment mostly means movies. Your XBox One X (or Playstation 4 Pro, to some extent, and even ordinary PS4 to an even smaller extent) also benefits from both 4k and HDR.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2017, 05:54:18 pm »

No.  our newest TV is ~15 years old.  And it is very rare we buy anything to have the latest technology next time we buy a TV it will because one broke and then we will buy something on the low end of the price spectrum. 

We will buy new types of technology i.e. A blue ray player even though both the DVD player and vcr still works fine, but we are not going to upgrade the blue ray to get the latest bells and whistles.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 09:26:26 am »

I have a 3D TV that has been used to watch 2 movies over the last 5 years ... maybe? Other than HD and smart tv I'm not sure what else you really need for viewing. I don't know how much better the 4K would be.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 01:37:35 pm »

^^ Yep,that's like my T.V. has 3D (it wasn't a feature I was looking at to add) I tried the glasses on once.A fiend of mine asked to try it,but I only had the demo content on my Samsung provided.

Slight hijack- My biggest disappointment on my T.V. is the PiP function...Huge T.V. biggest "2nd picture" is Tiny..(I'm not sure if its because of the size of the T.V) My old 52" PiP splits almost equally Undecided

Gaming I get it,(A couple of my underlings are gamers have 4k monitors) but I don't know any normal non gamers that have a 4k T.V.. One of My bosses is thinking of getting one,but he's currently remaking a whole room into a man cave/personal home theater type thing... Undecided

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 06:22:39 am »

Most huge TVs are bad for gaming.  The HD era introduced "input lag" to gaming, where the TV processes the video image before displaying it, causing the video to lag behind the game console.  If you play a game in 120Hz/"SmoothMotion"-type modes, this is particularly noticeable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjECJ9AJOxI

If you like to play FPSes like Call of Duty or fighting games like Street Fighter, this can be a huge difference.

BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2017, 09:44:38 am »

Nope.  I'm happy with my LED TV.  The prices on those are plummeting due to the popularity of 4K TVs

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2017, 03:39:15 pm »

Nope.  I'm happy with my LED TV.  The prices on those are plummeting due to the popularity of 4K TVs

The vast majority of 4K TVs are also LED TVs, the rest being OLED.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray