Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:40:16 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  4th and short is the perfect epitome of being a Miami fan
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: 4th and short is the perfect epitome of being a Miami fan  (Read 5901 times)
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« on: November 14, 2017, 08:16:28 am »

Early in the 3rd, after Miami fell behind by 17, they desperately needed an answer.  The drive didn't start well, going -5.  Cutler goes 17 on the next play to Stills.  The next play he air mails a pass over Stills that Andre the Giant couldn't catch.

Needing seven yards to make a 1st down, Cutler connects for six w/Landry.  Then, still in their own field, a quick snap to Williams who ran into the entire 53 man roster for a one yard loss.

Of course Carolina swiftly went down the field and scored.  Again.

But that 4th down play, that quick snap - slamming into every able bodied player on the field play...was it just me or did that not sum up what it has felt like to be a Miami Dolphins fan for the last 20 or so years?  We're kind of moving, we kind of have a little something going, there may be a slight light at the end of this...

Oh.  Never mind.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 08:59:58 am »

Yup, I called that out as a dumb play call, should have been a short pass.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 10:17:19 am »

It really has been hard to be a Dolphins fan over the last 15 or so years. I remember wearing bags on heads during the 2004 season with Wanny and it hasn't gotten much better since. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
DZA
Uber Member

3rd Infantry Division Veteran

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 10:27:57 am »

I was done after the first quarter. Cant stand to see cutler at the helm anymore. Its pathetic

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 11:03:26 am »

I was done after the first quarter. Cant stand to see cutler at the helm anymore. Its pathetic
His happy feet and not setting before throwing is infuriating, but he's not the problem.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 11:34:00 am »

His happy feet and not setting before throwing is infuriating, but he's not the problem.
He's too old to take the pounding that Tannehill does and like a normal QB, gets happy feet after realizing the o-line sucks. Tannehill takes more of a beating than the average guy and still hangs in there. He's actually one tough SOB.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2017, 11:35:34 am »

Just a small voice of moderation:

Take a team's starting QB and give them a season-ending injury in training camp.  How many teams will appear competitive in that scenario?

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2017, 11:38:21 am »

True Spider but at the end of last season we needed a run defense and an offensive line. We still need both of those things regardless of losing our QB.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2017, 01:36:53 pm »

Take a team's starting QB and give them a season-ending injury in training camp.  How many teams will appear competitive in that scenario?

Tannehill is not a great QB that carries the team.  This isn't like the Colts losing Manning.  Given all the other areas under preforming it is doubtful the Dolphins would have a better record with Tannehill. 

But Trent Green tore his ACL in preseason the Rams were not just competitive they won the SB.  Two years later another team lost their QB in the second game of the season after going 0-2 with the starter and won the SB.  In 2008 a team lost the prior season MVP in the first quarter of the first week and remained competitive going 11-5.  I believe the was a Dolphins team early in the. 70s that went thru three starting abs and remained competitive all season long.  😀That is just off the top of my head. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2017, 02:48:15 pm »

The '99 Rams discovered a HOF QB on their bench.
So did the '01 Patriots.
Matt Cassel took over the highest scoring offense in the history of the league - a 16-0 team - and lost the division to a team that finished 1-15 the season before.

So unless David Fales is destined for the Hall of Fame, I stand by my statement.  I doubt the 2017 Dolphins will finish 5 games worse than the 2016 Dolphins, which is what happened when Brady was replaced by Cassel.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 02:51:11 pm by Spider-Dan » Logged

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 03:00:39 pm »

The delta between Brady and Cassel is much larger than the delta between Tannehill and Cutler.  The Dolphins record has a lot more to do with an oline that can't pass protect, a horrible run game and piss poor defense than an injury at the QB position. 

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2017, 03:04:30 pm »

I recall a spunky team in 1972 who's starting QB broke his ankle in week#5, and they went on to be undefeated and win the Super Bowl.

But seriously, Cutler is a starting QB, and there is not that much of a drop off from Tannehill to him.  The organization needs to do better.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2017, 03:19:02 pm »

I recall a spunky team in 1972 who's starting QB broke his ankle in week#5, and they went on to be undefeated and win the Super Bowl.
They were lucky enough to have a former MVP as their backup.

This would be the equivalent of if 2014-era Peyton Manning was sitting on the Dolphins' bench.

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2017, 03:28:20 pm »

IMO I don't think record wise,the Dolphins would be and better or worse (I have no way to quantify it) Cutler vs Tannehill

I feel the massive difference is the perception,because It's not Tannehill,their anger seems to be directed all on Adam Gase. (Tannehill,and Gase are both going to be screwed,and crucified next year,every throw,play, etc)

Modified for Clarification
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 03:48:02 pm by DaLittle B » Logged

masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2017, 03:48:28 pm »

They were lucky enough to have a former MVP as their backup.

This would be the equivalent of if 2014-era Peyton Manning was sitting on the Dolphins' bench.

That's funny, he was an MVP one year, the year he was Unitas' backup, the same year the Colts lost to Namath in the Super Bowl with him as QB.  He was also in the Pro Bowl in 1957.  He cost Miami a grand total of $100 to claim him off waivers.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray