Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:25:09 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  4th and short is the perfect epitome of being a Miami fan
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: 4th and short is the perfect epitome of being a Miami fan  (Read 5903 times)
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2017, 04:28:35 pm »

That's funny, he was an MVP one year, the year he was Unitas' backup, the same year the Colts lost to Namath in the Super Bowl with him as QB.  He was also in the Pro Bowl in 1957.  He cost Miami a grand total of $100 to claim him off waivers.
That was like 10 million back then right?
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2017, 06:29:11 pm »

My original idea for comparison was MIA having 2017 Drew Brees on the bench (and he and Morrall would have been the same age), but unfortunately, Drew Brees has never won an MVP.

Alwaysdullfan

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2017, 12:28:11 am »

...I think a lot of ppl, including me, will give Ryan Tannehill more credit after this season than ever before so far in his career. Because seeing this offense now without him and this team isn't the same. Overall the defense has played good except last few games. Its hard to play good D the whole time when ur offense keeps going 3 and out a lot. But even tho Tanny got hurt, I still cant believe how bad they are on offense after 9 games into the season. I knew it would take few games to get used to but with so many playmakers on offense it pisses me off this team isn't playing better. Even tho it doesn't look like it, its gotta be bcuz of Cutler. And I don't mean it in a bad way like he's playing bad football, but QB is suppose to be the leader, and I do think hes a good, tough QB, but its no sectret, everyone knows he wont be here next year. He's just a 1 year rental, and I don't think he cares too much, and how can other guys believe in him knowing samething, Gase brought him in to cover them at QB just for this season and that's it. There is no year 2 for Cutler with Miami. And I honestly believe that reason by itself is a huge difference maker. Even tho he may be saying all the right things, how can he rally up the guys to go out and play hard knowing the situation he's in. Matt Moore would have been much safer move, you kept Moore all these years as a backup only to sign a QB off the street when ur starter goes down. That's B.S also........just too many  things bad this season, and they should be more like 1-8 or 2-7.
Alwaysdullfan

« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2017, 12:47:26 am »

Miami has a lot of offseason work ahead. Somethings gotta go. Miami keeps drafting offensive linemen early several years in a row or pick up some thru free agency (maybe except this offseason) They added a lot of defensive players but still kinda suck on defense. I think Miami should have hired a defensive minded coach, and hopefully with a good OC they'd be good like a lot of teams, for ex. Panthers. But I like Gase, that's not the point, I hope he turns this thing around next year if this season is doomed, but all I'm saying there is talent all over this team, some players overpaid some not needed. I think they gotta find some good coaches, switch up schemes maybe, diff type of offense, I dunno but do something. Trade Suh maybe if you can get something good for him, like high draft pick plus a cheaper DT, they actually may have replacement on the roster already. Also you wont be able to sign Landry, Parker and keep Stills. They should make some moves here too before its too late. I also don't kno who is really calling the shots in Miami. They got Mike Tannenbum, but Chris Grier is the GM, obviously Gase has his say, but theres also the owner, and you got like 4 ppl looking so desperate that they're willing to make any type of sacrifices just to create a spark, but obviously something is not working here, and I don't know what That's why I'm all over the place when it comes to the reasons for this year's poor performance....
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2017, 06:12:25 am »

I've long felt that Tannehill was massively underrated, but who cares what he did or could have done? What matters is if he can perform next year. What does sitting a season and a half do to a quarterback? How rusty will he be? Will he even be the same player? Both in terms of the mental aspects and in terms of trust in his body (knee)?

I have zero doubt that Tannehill would have put up top 10 numbers in pretty much all QB categories (and not just epic numbers in a few and mediocre in most), if not top 5, had he played on a team with a solid offensive line. But, again, who cares. And at this point, I think the Dolphins need to look at getting a good young quarterback to develop behind Tannehill. Sure, there are a lot of holes to plug on both sides of the ball, but if Tannehill turns out to have lost it, then all the hole-plugging in the world isn't going to help.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2017, 07:54:39 am »

Just a small voice of moderation:

Take a team's starting QB and give them a season-ending injury in training camp.  How many teams will appear competitive in that scenario?
None. Especially when that team was borderline playoff team in the first place which is not true for all the teams that have been mentioned.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 08:01:34 am by Pappy13 » Logged

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2017, 10:28:38 am »

Tannehill would have been better based on where this offense is. He’s mobile and throws well on the run. Cutler has better pocket presence but that’s of no use when you’re running for your life most plays

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 10:44:18 am »

I've long felt that Tannehill was massively underrated, but who cares what he did or could have done? What matters is if he can perform next year. What does sitting a season and a half do to a quarterback? How rusty will he be? Will he even be the same player? Both in terms of the mental aspects and in terms of trust in his body (knee)?

I have zero doubt that Tannehill would have put up top 10 numbers in pretty much all QB categories (and not just epic numbers in a few and mediocre in most), if not top 5, had he played on a team with a solid offensive line. But, again, who cares. And at this point, I think the Dolphins need to look at getting a good young quarterback to develop behind Tannehill. Sure, there are a lot of holes to plug on both sides of the ball, but if Tannehill turns out to have lost it, then all the hole-plugging in the world isn't going to help.

I agree with this...I also think it's why Gase/Tannehill will be over analyzed next year.

I agree with the mobility issue Tannehill has over Cutler,Tannehill has rapport with the receivers,etc,etc...I just can quantify that our record would be any better because,Tannehill would have had to survive behind the same shitty O-line.Ryan might have just as easily gotten hurt too... Undecided

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 10:53:19 am »

I agree with this...I also think it's why Gase/Tannehill will be over analyzed next year.

I agree with the mobility issue Tannehill has over Cutler,Tannehill has rapport with the receivers,etc,etc...I just can quantify that our record would be any better because,Tannehill would have had to survive behind the same shitty O-line.Ryan might have just as easily gotten hurt too... Undecided
Tannehill has been getting pummeled behind horrible lines since he got here. So far, he's the only one that has been able to hurt Ryan ... hahaha.

I'm all for drafting a QB but I think he's staying very involved and being very proactive. I bet he comes back as good or better than before. Sitting actually may have matured him as well. He's always been under extreme criticism so the relaxed atmosphere may be helpful. Of course this is the Dolphins so he could tank just as easily.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 11:20:13 am »

Would be better off using draft picks on o line than a QB.  Give Moore, Tannihill or Cutler a decent oline and they can good QBs.  Not HOF caliber but okay enough if you have a decent running game and defense.  Draft a QB and not fix the oline, doesn't matter how good the qb is you ain't winning games, and he will eventually be on ir.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 11:50:21 am »

^Puh-lese this is the Dolphins....Fix the O-line problems? We have O-line Problems.... What O-line problems?  Wink Cheesy

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2017, 02:21:29 pm »

Many of us in here were wearing bags on our head at a Dolphins game in 2004. Seriously ... if you’d known the pain we still had left to endure would you have run away from this team? You have to try to be this bad this long.

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2017, 05:07:40 pm »

Would be better off using draft picks on o line than a QB.  Give Moore, Tannihill or Cutler a decent oline and they can good QBs.  Not HOF caliber but okay enough if you have a decent running game and defense.  Draft a QB and not fix the oline, doesn't matter how good the qb is you ain't winning games, and he will eventually be on ir.

It's not like the Dolphins haven't spent money and picks on an o-line. Our 1st rounder last year, our 2nd the year before, our 1st and 3rd the year before that, our 3rd prior to that, and our 2nd round pick before that, which is all the way back to the Tannehill pick, but you could continue that with Pouncey being taken with our 1st round pick the year prior to Tannehill. And so on.

Picks aren't doing it. And we didn't have a coke-head for a line coach for too much of that time, so that's a poor excuse if anyone's thinking it.

Just FYI, do you know what the Patriots spent during that time-frame? Two 3rd round picks. Total. (Plus some lower round picks, which I didn't include for the Dolphins either). And for every single year in that span the Patriots' offensive line has surpassed the Dolphins' in both run-blocking and pass-protection stats.

Maybe just a coincidence. Picking three teams at random with at least some high recent picks: Broncos, Saints, and Jags. Only the Saints are even remotely close to the Dolphins in spending the amount and quality of picks on the offensive line. And in terms of performance? The Saints and their high picks (although not as many as the Dolphins) completely blow the Dolphins out of the water on every performance metric you can image. Even during the best of years for the Fins, it isn't really that close. As for the Broncos, they score significantly better as well, although there are a few split years in there. The Jaguars split completely evenly with the Dolphins in the metrics I looked at, at least when just going by "who did better this year in X" without looking at how much better.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that perhaps drafting isn't the issue. Perhaps COACHING is. It sure seems like coaching consistency makes for a better offensive line, regardless of whether the players are high draft picks, free agent pickups, or trades. So for the time being at least, I'll put the majority of the blame on the Miami Coaching Carousel.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2017, 06:11:55 pm »

^^^ It's unfair to compare any personnel moves to what the Patriots do, as they are in a class of their own.  Quality veterans will flock to the Patriots for less money for the chance at the coveted Super Bowl ring, add that to their superb coaching and front office and there is not another team in the league that can compete.  A prime example is Bennett.  He leaves the Patriots for Green Bay, then Rogers is lost for the season, and all of a sudden Bennett needs surgery for his long injured shoulder.  GB waives him claiming he didn't divulge the injury, no team claims him off waivers because he says he's going to have surgery, then miraculously NE claims him and he's playing just days later.  You can't make this stuff up.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2017, 06:08:03 am »

Many of us in here were wearing bags on our head at a Dolphins game in 2004. Seriously ... if you’d known the pain we still had left to endure would you have run away from this team? You have to try to be this bad this long.

holy over dramatic. Miami was in the playoffs last season so don't be so over the top
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray