Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 07:34:06 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Someone has to take the fall for this season
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print
Author Topic: Someone has to take the fall for this season  (Read 3879 times)
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« on: November 27, 2017, 11:12:56 am »

Granted ... no one expected the Dolphins to be stellar this season and with the loss of Tannehill it was a dream to even hope we'd make the playoffs again. The schedule was brutal to begin with and then the hurricane happened. Either way, I don't think many saw it going this poorly so it's historically someone's fault. There's always a scapegoat or sacrificial lamb although I don't think it has to be symbolic. It should help us move forward. With Gase looking pretty safe in staying for a couple of more years I say we have to look at the guy who is responsible for this roster. I really, really, really, hope that Ross will let Mike Tannenbaum go. I'm not sure what Dan Marino really does but if he can convince Ross to move on from this mistake I will at least be encouraged. Otherwise we look to continue the course of "hoping" players will one day pan out and that hasn't worked so far.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 12:11:09 pm »

^^^^^

Even before I got thru your article about scapegoat I had Mike Tannebaum's name atop my list and then you wrote it.  I agree whole-heartedly.  I would even lump Chris Grier in there as well.

I know he's only been doing the job 2 yrs now, but before that he was their college scout 8-9 yrs before that.  And based on what talent I see on the field at times and recent draft success, that's a not a good success

Now, you don't hit HRs all the time in the draft, but when you consistently do what the Dolphins have been doing the last 2-3 yrs, come on.  How do you pass on a proven need in LB like Reuben Foster out of Bama???  How many Bama LBs have totally flopped in the NFL in the last decade?  Not many. And hell, we don't even know what McMilllan could have done cause he's too bust on PR coverage and oh yeah, hurt and out for the season.

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 04:12:44 pm »

If you fire Tannenabum and Grier (which they wont) then you are essentially firing Gase because the new people you hire as VP and GM will want their own head coach. They wont want someone they inherited. So you fire all or you fire none.

Tannenbaum isn't the GM not sure why he gets so much hate. He isn't making draft picks or signing FA's
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 06:13:33 pm »

Gase for not starting Matt Moore right from the beginning. 

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 06:59:17 pm »

You are a day too late with your Matt Moore as savior routine.

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 10:11:39 pm »

You are a day too late with your Matt Moore as savior routine.

It would have been interesting to see how it played out. 

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2017, 07:10:37 am »

If you fire Tannenabum and Grier (which they wont) then you are essentially firing Gase because the new people you hire as VP and GM will want their own head coach. They wont want someone they inherited. So you fire all or you fire none.

Tannenbaum isn't the GM not sure why he gets so much hate. He isn't making draft picks or signing FA's

Not knocking your reply  here, but just Tannebaum's presence on this team bugs the shit out of me. Coming from the NY Jets and the fire dumpster that place was, feel like it's guilt by association and rightfully so.  I know it's lame to say "oh, he came from a divisional rival and I don't like that" but the truth is he (and the Jets) didn't make good decisions during his time, so why should I should I trust his decision making now with the Dolphins?

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2017, 08:25:03 am »

Yes he is. He has the final say on everything football. 

Under normal circumstances I would agree with you about the coach but we already have a highly coveted coach. He's only one year removed from taking this team to the playoffs. When he came in he had two years to evaluate Tannehill (as a favor to Ross) and then he could get his own QB if he felt he needed to. I don't think this 4 or 5 year project has changed based on one poor year where his starting QB never played.

The biggest issue on this team is talent evaluation. Look at the last 5 first round picks and tell me how much they are contributing to this team. 1st round talents should be franchise players. Maybe not pro bowlers but they should be the meat and potatoes of the team. Mike Tannenbaum has been in charge of selecting player and administration since 2014 and each player is still developing. To add insult to injury they resigned a defensive end to a nice contract and then drafted his back-up in the first round. What the heck was that about?

2013    pick # 3   Dion Jordan   Defensive end   Oregon
2014    pick # 19   Ja'Wuan James   Offensive tackle   Tennessee   
2015    pick # 14   DeVante Parker   Wide receiver   University of Louisville   
2016   pick # 13   Laremy Tunsil   Tackle   Mississippi   
2017    pick # 22   Charles Harris   Defensive end   Missouri

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2017, 09:10:55 am »

^ I can't blame Tannenbaum for Jordan (That was Ireland trying to keep his job),or James,because he was just a "consultant" with the team at the time...

Tannenbaum,is the decision on all the personnel moves,except, who is on the final 53 roster. (That is on Adam Gase,IE who makes the team, and who doesn't) People that were bashing Gase of the Jay Ajayi trade,and Joe Schad, tweeted a simple tweet. Tannebaum has final say on all trades.

An old Article from 2016,just before we hired Adam Gase,and Fired Hickey...Aponte is Gone...That leaves Tannebaum as the main guy to blame for these same personnel mistakes...
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000613711/article/mike-tannenbaum-to-guide-miami-dolphins-extreme-makeover

***I realize it's a pipe dream far from reality,to get rid of Tannenbaum,and possibly Grier,and Keep Gase.*** It's sucks,I think he's a good coach...

IMO,good teams build through the draft,Tannebaum, not a draft guy...He's a spend in free agency guy.Gase the Golden Boy couldn't do it...Fire Gase...and continue on.

The Dolphins get in this pattern getting a taste of some sort of success (A 4-5 game winning streak, .500 record,Last year making the playoffs),then decide we're 1 player away,for the next 2-3 years.While we slowly get worse,and worse...

We'll fire the Burke,the D-coordinator,and probably some of the defensive coaches,o-line coach,maybe the receivers coach...No one of any consequences...
« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:14:43 am by DaLittle B » Logged

Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2017, 09:13:28 am »

Sorry for going off track, but have you guys seen that Dion Jordan has now played 2 games with Seattle and as a part time player, he has 3 solo tackles, 2 assists, and a sack?  I didn't think the guy would ever sniff an NFL field again. 
hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #10 on: November 28, 2017, 09:17:23 am »

2013    pick # 3   Dion Jordan   Defensive end   Oregon
2014    pick # 19   Ja'Wuan James   Offensive tackle   Tennessee   
2015    pick # 14   DeVante Parker   Wide receiver   University of Louisville   
2016   pick # 13   Laremy Tunsil   Tackle   Mississippi   
2017    pick # 22   Charles Harris   Defensive end   Missouri

This ^ ^ ^

The first pick, Jordan is on Ireland and it's so bad. Yeah, I know he's on the SEA roster and actually had a decent game 1-2 weeks ago, but trade up to the 3rd spot to get a guy (who apparently had a shoulder injury) who played in the no-defense Pac 12 was laughable

Hickey gets the next two, James and Parker.  I have mostly pretty good feelings about James,. He actually grades out well with PFF and can be at times a solid RT.  Has had some hiccups here and there, but who hasn't  He's not the mind-numbing play of Tunsil, so that's a good thing.

Parker has been a bust IMO  IIRC, he had a foot issue in college and even had surgery before the start of Dolphins training camp, which of course delayed his progress as a Rookie.  IMO, if you have a WR that has a foot issue, than that's a problem long term. You know, cause a WR needs his feet to run routes, that's just me though.  I think he's soft.  I think he talks a big game but hasn't produced.  He caught a 5-yd slant against the Titans & instead of turning up field and getting the 1st down, ran laterally across the field and then got tackled (short of the 1st down mind you) and then proceeded to be out for 3-4 weeks with a foot issue AGAIN (to be fair, might have been ankle sprain)

The next two, Tannebaum is all over the Tunsil and Harris picks.  To be fair the next 2 OTs to be taken after Tunsil have faired poorly and Tunsil has graded below avg. Tunsil has regressed this season.  Many, many penalties on him, whether pre-snap or holding calls.  Now, is this a coaching issue? Might be, when the OL coach you had was sniffing "white powder" (just fockin call it coke, dammit!!!) off a hooker's ass.  So, maybe this is a coaching issue and this can be corrected long term

But the Harris pick baffles me, had Reuben Foster there for the taking and they past! We needed a LB and this guy is a talent, maybe not the all-world talent everyone is looking for but he played a Bama team has produced some pretty above avg LBs in this league.

« Last Edit: November 28, 2017, 09:20:25 am by hordman » Logged

CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #11 on: November 28, 2017, 09:18:51 am »

Sorry for going off track, but have you guys seen that Dion Jordan has now played 2 games with Seattle and as a part time player, he has 3 solo tackles, 2 assists, and a sack?  I didn't think the guy would ever sniff an NFL field again. 
No biggie. Even if he becomes an all-pro (which will never happen) he was a huge bust for Miami. He collected a lot of money for doing nothing.

Lil B .... I don't blame Jordon on him. Just was using it to show how we always have crappy talent evaluators.

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2017, 09:54:56 am »

I'm not quite ready to give up on Tunsil yet,yeah, he's not R.Webb or J.Long.I think the Combo platter,of Steen,Davis rotation at left guard does zero favors for Tunsil his 1st year playing LT.I'm hoping that Ted Larson,(if he can stay healthy),at LG we'll see some improvement in Tunsil the rest of the year.

Its hard for me to judge Pouncey too,the same shit storm at LG,added to the OLD busted RG Bushrod,and Now A.Davis,S.Young playing RT. Pouncey has had the Label, one of the best centers in the league *When Healthy,but he's rarely healthy....He seems healthy,but has he regressed,or is the shit storm around him?

IMO Parker is a Bust,injured too often,and doesn't play like a big guy.He takes forever to heal,and then never seems to make Heads up Plays?  Undecided (not sure of the term to use) good football plays...(IMO K.Stills is the same way) Yes he's capable of making big plays,but doesn't make enough of the routine plays consistently enough.

fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2017, 10:07:29 am »

^ All our guards suck, so it's hard to evaluate our tackles. Both starters (Tunsil and James) regressed this year. Is that on them, the coke-head coaching them, or because the guards suck more this year?
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2017, 10:36:13 am »

^ All our guards suck, so it's hard to evaluate our tackles. Both starters (Tunsil and James) regressed this year. Is that on them, the coke-head coaching them, or because the guards suck more this year?
Tunsil regressed, but James has been one of the better RT in the league this year.  Larsen has been good in limited action.  Everyone else has been hot garbage.
Pages: [1] 2 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray