Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 05:40:04 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Someone has to take the fall for this season
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Someone has to take the fall for this season  (Read 3843 times)
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2017, 11:38:51 am »

"oh, he came from a divisional rival and I don't like that"

I don't see that being an issue he failed to build good teams on the Jets and Dolphins.  If when Brady retires he becomes the Dolphin's QB coach I doubt people would object on the grounds he came from a division rival.  On the other hand if the Dolphins hired Albert Haynsworth as the strength and conditioning coach it would be rightfully criticized.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2017, 06:10:11 am »

Not knocking your reply  here, but just Tannebaum's presence on this team bugs the shit out of me. Coming from the NY Jets and the fire dumpster that place was, feel like it's guilt by association and rightfully so.  I know it's lame to say "oh, he came from a divisional rival and I don't like that" but the truth is he (and the Jets) didn't make good decisions during his time, so why should I should I trust his decision making now with the Dolphins?

1) Jets went to 2 AFC Title games under his watch. When was the last time Miami sniffed that

2) Sorry it "bugs you" that he came from the Jets, but honestly who the hell cares where he used to work. I mean get over it. The Pats have won a bunch of rings with ex-Dolphins on their roster, doesn't seem to bother them

3) He isn't the GM in Miami, Chris Grier is.

4) If you are blaming Tannenbaum for this year and it going bad then I am sure you gave him credit for last year when Miami went 10-6 and made the playoffs.

Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2017, 06:11:44 am »

Yes he is. He has the final say on everything football. 

No he doesn't. Gase has control of the 53 man roster. Gase has control of the depth chart. Grier runs the scouting department and has final say over the draft.

You are just wrong and making assumptions. Tannenbaum has the power to hire and fire Gase and Grier but that's about it. And he has a voice in the room and I am sure its considered, but he doesn't have final say over everything he just doesn't.

The biggest issue on this team is talent evaluation. Look at the last 5 first round picks and tell me how much they are contributing to this team. 1st round talents should be franchise players. Maybe not pro bowlers but they should be the meat and potatoes of the team. Mike Tannenbaum has been in charge of selecting player and administration since 2014 and each player is still developing. To add insult to injury they resigned a defensive end to a nice contract and then drafted his back-up in the first round. What the heck was that about?

2013    pick # 3   Dion Jordan   Defensive end   Oregon
2014    pick # 19   Ja'Wuan James   Offensive tackle   Tennessee   
2015    pick # 14   DeVante Parker   Wide receiver   University of Louisville   
2016   pick # 13   Laremy Tunsil   Tackle   Mississippi   
2017    pick # 22   Charles Harris   Defensive end   Missouri
Tannenbaum had NOTHING to do with Jordan, James or Parker. I mean blaming him for stuff he had nothing to do with.  Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 06:14:14 am by Baba Booey » Logged
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2017, 07:15:20 am »

If he has the ability to fire the GM he has the ability to over rule the GM.  If you don't understand that concept you have never been employed.

hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2017, 08:34:34 am »

4) If you are blaming Tannenbaum for this year and it going bad then I am sure you gave him credit for last year when Miami went 10-6 and made the playoffs.

I sure as hell didn't give him credit for last yr's gig either. Dolphins played a last placed scheduled based on his 2015 season.  Also, played some really tight games in 2016 and won them either in the final Q or series

I'd rather be lucky than good.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2017, 10:38:14 am »

No he doesn't. Gase has control of the 53 man roster. Gase has control of the depth chart. Grier runs the scouting department and has final say over the draft.

You are just wrong and making assumptions. Tannenbaum has the power to hire and fire Gase and Grier but that's about it. And he has a voice in the room and I am sure its considered, but he doesn't have final say over everything he just doesn't.
Tannenbaum had NOTHING to do with Jordan, James or Parker. I mean blaming him for stuff he had nothing to do with.  Roll Eyes
What Hoodie said is correct. Tannenbaum has practically all the say.  It is widely known who is pulling the strings in the front office and no one is trying to keep it a secret. Chris Grier is a figurehead and that's exactly why he was promoted into that position. 

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2017, 11:09:18 am »

If he has the ability to fire the GM he has the ability to over rule the GM.  If you don't understand that concept you have never been employed.

You are correct sir Lips Sealed
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2017, 11:26:55 am »

Jeff Ireland had it written in his contract (like most GM's do) that they have control over certain things. Ireland didn't want to give up control of the 53 man roster AND the draft so it was written in his contract and why guys like Jeff Fisher turned Miami down and refused to work here (among other head coach candidates who interviewed with Miami.) If you were a Dolphins fan you may have known that. So no VP was going to overule him and many GM's have that language in their contracts.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 11:29:55 am by Baba Booey » Logged
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2017, 11:29:04 am »

I sure as hell didn't give him credit for last yr's gig either. Dolphins played a last placed scheduled based on his 2015 season.  Also, played some really tight games in 2016 and won them either in the final Q or series

1) So he gets no credit when the team wins and all the blame when they lose...lol. You sound fair

2) The last place schedule thing is a whopping difference of 2 games, so it really is meaningless. Don't over blow that. And one of those "LAST PLACE" teams beat us (Tenn) so playing that last place schedule didn't help, Miami made the playoffs anyway.  Don't talk like a fool now
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2017, 01:52:40 pm »

Jeff Ireland had it written in his contract (like most GM's do) that they have control over certain things. Ireland didn't want to give up control of the 53 man roster AND the draft so it was written in his contract and why guys like Jeff Fisher turned Miami down and refused to work here (among other head coach candidates who interviewed with Miami.) If you were a Dolphins fan you may have known that. So no VP was going to overule him and many GM's have that language in their contracts.
After Ireland was fired Tannenbaum went from "Consultant" to "executive vice president of football operations" and has openly been making the calls every since. Prior to that he was "consulting" Ross on his decisions.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
Heatles

Email
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2017, 03:21:07 pm »

The overall problem with the Dolphins has been a problem for a long time. I'm not sure who that puts the blame on but at some point you have to hit on your draft picks or you're really just spinning your wheels. They haven't hit on a draft in 15 years. A guy here and there have worked out but you have to hit on a few drafts in a row or you're stuck in 6-10 to 10-6 mode.

And I don't think there's credit to be given out for last year. Last years team and this years team are basically the same. We just got a couple more bounces last year that got us to 10 wins instead of the 6-8 wins we've been getting for the last however many years. We were able to win some close games against teams that were even or below us. Once the playoffs started and the fins had to play a real team with real stakes they got smoked.
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2017, 06:59:33 pm »

After Ireland was fired Tannenbaum went from "Consultant" to "executive vice president of football operations" and has openly been making the calls every since. Prior to that he was "consulting" Ross on his decisions.
'
He hasn't openly been making the calls. You clearly don't read the newspapers in the area or follow the team with the local radio and such. He clearly doesn't. He has a say and a voice but he isn't the be all and end all on all decisions, it's just factually incorrect what you are saying
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2017, 07:09:55 pm »

By your logic, Stephen Ross makes all the roster decisions for the Dolphins, as he has the ability to fire Tannenbaum, Grier, Gase, or anyone else.

Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 01:14:23 pm »

By your logic, Stephen Ross makes all the roster decisions for the Dolphins, as he has the ability to fire Tannenbaum, Grier, Gase, or anyone else.

You are incorrect. By Hoodie's logic, Ross could make those decisions, ala Jerry Jones. Whether he chooses to or not is not relevant.
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 01:14:45 pm »

No, I am not saying Ross makes all the roster decisions.  But I am most certainly saying he has the power and authority to make any roster changes, set the line up or tell a coach what play to call.  However, there is no evidence he has exercised such authority leaving football decisions up to football people, unlike Al Davis or Jerry Jones.  

While it is normal for owners to defer to football people, former GMs/coaches who are executive vp of football operations rarely engage in such restraint and if they did they would be essentially useless.  That is why BB refused to be HC in name only for the Jets.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray