Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 12:10:44 pm
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Gauging Marino's Career
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print
Author Topic: Gauging Marino's Career  (Read 4522 times)
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 07:21:42 pm »

Hof coach + hof qb = multiple super bowl wins.

If hof coach + hof qb < sb win, one of them is over rated.
The cause of Shula's induction to the HOF was not his work from 1984-1994.  He's there primarily because of the two decades before that.

Put another way: Jimmy Johnson is a potential HOF coach, but he also won zero titles with Marino.  So what does that say about JJ?  It says Marino was past his prime.  And the same applies - in reverse - to Shula and Marino.  If Marino were on the 1970s Dolphins, the outcome is obviously different.

hordman
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 11:53:45 am »

Save the trolling for the anti-fins section.  Also, can I recommend proof reading before posting?

Well done

I'd rather be lucky than good.
Pappy13
Uber Member

« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2017, 03:38:10 pm »

The below is fucking amazing.

Plunkett won two Super Bowls. His career totals are 25,882 yards, 164 touchdown passes, 198 interceptions, and a career quarterback rating of 67.5. Marino threw for 35,749 more yards and 265 more touchdowns than Plunkett. I'll add Troy Aikman's entire career totals of 32,942 yards and 165 touchdown passes to Plunkett's totals. Plunkett/Aikman:58,824 yards and 329 touchdown passes. So if you combine the 28 seasons and five Super Bowl Championships of those two quarterbacks your still 2,537 yards and 91 touchdown passes short of one Dan Marino.

I know Marino would have really liked to have won a superbowl, but if you could have had Plunkett's career including the 2 Super Bowls or Marino's career, I'll take Marino's thank you very much. Now Aikman that's a different story as he was on one of the best team's of all time. They asked Barry Switzer the other day how he would fix the Cowboys (this was before the Redskin's game) and he just laughed and said the team today doesn't compare to those teams that he coached. Barry admits that having the best team in the NFL makes it a bit easier to coach the team to a championship.

That which does not kill me...gives me XP.
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2017, 12:32:47 am »

The below is fucking amazing.

Plunkett won two Super Bowls. His career totals are 25,882 yards, 164 touchdown passes, 198 interceptions, and a career quarterback rating of 67.5. Marino threw for 35,749 more yards and 265 more touchdowns than Plunkett. I'll add Troy Aikman's entire career totals of 32,942 yards and 165 touchdown passes to Plunkett's totals. Plunkett/Aikman:58,824 yards and 329 touchdown passes. So if you combine the 28 seasons and five Super Bowl Championships of those two quarterbacks your still 2,537 yards and 91 touchdown passes short of one Dan Marino.

I know Marino would have really liked to have won a superbowl, but if you could have had Plunkett's career including the 2 Super Bowls or Marino's career, I'll take Marino's thank you very much. Now Aikman that's a different story as he was on one of the best team's of all time. They asked Barry Switzer the other day how he would fix the Cowboys (this was before the Redskin's game) and he just laughed and said the team today doesn't compare to those teams that he coached. Barry admits that having the best team in the NFL makes it a bit easier to coach the team to a championship.

The general consensus on this board seems to be:  Marino was better than Plunkett and Aikman, but not as good as Montana and Brady.

Pre-new direction me:  I disagree.  I believe Marino is in the same tier as Brady and Montana

Post-new direction me: I agree 

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2017, 05:33:00 pm »

^^^ I believe Marino was on the same level as Montana, and had Marino played on those 49er teams they would have won the same number of SB's (if not more).  However, Brady is better than Marino was.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2017, 05:42:22 pm »

The general consensus on this board seems to be:  Marino was better than Plunkett and Aikman, but not as good as Montana and Brady.

Pre-new direction me:  I disagree.  I believe Marino is in the same tier as Brady and Montana

Post-new direction me: I agree 
Wait, why would you agree that Marino is better than Plunkett and Aikman?  I thought the "new direction" you would say that Terry Bradshaw is better than Troy Aikman, who is better than Jim Plunkett, who is better than Jeff Hostetler, who is better than Dan Marino.  Now I'm confused.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2017, 08:34:14 pm »

Among QBs without a ring he is #1.  Among all QBs he is in the top 20, but not top 10.  He is better than many QBs and even one two time sbmvp (eli)

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2017, 09:13:38 pm »

Among QBs without a ring he is #1.  Among all QBs he is in the top 20, but not top 10.  He is better than many QBs and even one two time sbmvp (eli)
Trolling more than ever I see.  Please name 10 QBS you think are better than Marino.
Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2017, 02:16:32 am »

It's for the same reason that Barry Sanders is not a top 10 RB, Randy Moss is not a top 10 WR, Tony Gonzales is not a top 10 TE, Dick Butkus is not a top 10 LB, etc.

dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2017, 03:00:50 am »

Wait, why would you agree that Marino is better than Plunkett and Aikman?  I thought the "new direction" you would say that Terry Bradshaw is better than Troy Aikman, who is better than Jim Plunkett, who is better than Jeff Hostetler, who is better than Dan Marino.  Now I'm confused.

When I said I agree I meant with Brady and Montana both being better than Marino.

I will go the whole new yards and say that quarterbacks are ranked by Super Bowl victories.

This is another way of saying, I surrender. 

I always thought that it is silly to measure quarterbacks by victories.  As I have watched Brady's career, this belief seemed to be reinforced with me.

I have watched him turn in countless subpar playoff performances, yet still come away with the victory because of his teammates and/or his opponents. 

After Super Bowl 51, I thought it would be clear.

The Patriots defense forced a three and out when the Falcons getting one first down would have locked up the game.

The Patriots defense forced a turnover when anything EXCEPT a turnover would have sealed the game for the Falcons.

And as if that was not enough, they then forced the Falcons to lose over 20 yards, when even only forcing them to lose 10 yards still would sealed the game.

Brady's first two scoring drives of that comeback were against a prevent defense trading yards for time thinking they had the game locked up.

Then, he led a short touchdown drive set up by a turnover.

The final two scoring drives were against a shell-shocked and exhausted Falcon defense that couldn't believe that they were having to protect a lead and keep playing at the point.  I don't think they could have stopped Ryan Leaf in that situation.

Was not to be, so I gave in.

Only Super Bowls matter.  Don't look at anything else.

Therefore, Marino falls down the list everytime a new quarterback earns a ring.

Awarded for not knowing what the hell you are talking about, making some bullshit comment, pissing people off, or just plain being an idiot
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2017, 09:52:25 am »

29 different QBs have won the Superbowl.  Are you really telling me that Marino is at least the 30th best QB of all time?
Phishfan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #26 on: December 06, 2017, 01:36:31 pm »

Why are you guys even going down this road with him?
Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #27 on: December 06, 2017, 02:03:40 pm »

Why are you guys even going down this road with him?
Boredom
dolphins4life
Uber Member

THE ASSCLOWN AWARD

« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2017, 12:26:15 am »

If Brady is better than Marino, so is every quarterback who has won a Super Bowl.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2017, 05:41:26 am »

"If Dan Marino is better than Bob Griese, so is every other quarterback who has never won a Super Bowl."

I LIKE ABSOLUTES
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 05:46:34 am by Spider-Dan » Logged

Pages: 1 [2] 3 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray