Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:05:41 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Other Sports Talk (Moderator: MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Giancarlo Stanton Traded to the Yankees
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Giancarlo Stanton Traded to the Yankees  (Read 3864 times)
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« on: December 09, 2017, 03:43:07 pm »

Joel Sherman of the New York Post reports that the Marlins will receive Starlin Castro, Jorge Guzman and Jose Devers in the Giancarlo Stanton trade.

Guzman is a solid prospect, flame thrower but he's maybe the 9th or 10th best Yankees prospect. Devers is a glove first SS that is only 18, not even in the Top 20 for them. I know the Marlins had very little leverage, but getting Castro is a gift to the Yankees. This was a terrible trade for them unless they were going into foreclosure tomorrow. Derek Jeter conspiracy theories seem valid.
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 06:10:59 pm »

Did the Yankees absorb the full contract?
Baba Booey
Uber Member

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 06:57:54 pm »

Did the Yankees absorb the full contract?

All but $30 mill it looks like

For MLB this move is great as you get another marquee player in the marquee sports city/#1 Media Market in America and you have the Yankees as the Yankees. For South Florida its reason # 1,658,478,562 why MLB shouldn't have a team there. Yes this is on the prior ownership more than the current ownership. They should have never given Stanton the contract they gave him knowing they don't draw fans to the games and they have no money. New ownership in order to have a respectable team and chance down there needed to get rid of him. The no trade clause made him impossible to move. Yankees got lucky. This is a move where you can't blame the Yankees for taking advantage of another teams stupidity.
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 06:28:07 pm »

The Marlins only owe us $30 Million if Stanton doesn't opt out and there's a solid chance he does not. Still has a massive contract ahead of him and I don't know if anyone wants to give a 31 year old a better offer than the contract he is currently on.

That aside, Jeter and the Marlins handled this so poorly. I don't even know if it's Jeter as he may just be a face, don't know what power he welds. But, they announced publicly they were look9ng to trade Stanton BEFORE they spoke with him, not even asking his preferred destinations. Once he vetoed the Giants and Cardinals, it was a one team race. Still no excuse to not even get a Top 5 prospect as the Yankees have a loaded farm system. Castro was a salary dump, not a great piece for Florida.

Just a disaster all around for the franchise. Might as well have just put him on waivers with this return.
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 04:54:53 pm »

The Yankees gave the Marlins a gift for an aging player with a huge salary.  If Stanton is able to stay healthy and play like he did last year it's a win for the Yankees, but it's a gamble.  The Marlins (who are broke) on the other hand are relieved of a salary that would have hurt for years; and can now work to start building a solid team.
TonyB0D
Uber Member

Crank it up!!

Email
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 02:00:03 am »

one of the greatest trades in recent sports history....yankees gave up nothing.  when i think about the yank's potential lineup next year, my erection is visible from space.
CF DolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

cf_dolfan
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 09:02:17 am »

one of the greatest trades in recent sports history....yankees gave up nothing.  when i think about the yank's potential lineup next year, my erection is visible from space.
Yes ... it really seems like Jeter is working for the Yankees. It was nice to see him at the Dolphins game rather than MLB's Winter Meetings. Priorities I guess.

Getting offended by something you see on the internet is like choosing to step in dog shite instead of walking around it.
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 06:26:48 pm »

Four fire sale trades under three different owners.  The Marlins are basically an AAA team in MLB

EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 11:09:55 pm »

The Yankees gave the Marlins a gift for an aging player with a huge salary.  If Stanton is able to stay healthy and play like he did last year it's a win for the Yankees, but it's a gamble.  The Marlins (who are broke) on the other hand are relieved of a salary that would have hurt for years; and can now work to start building a solid team.

Why are the Marlins broke? Why are the Marlins ALWAYS broke?
masterfins
Uber Member

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 02:19:01 pm »

Why are the Marlins broke? Why are the Marlins ALWAYS broke?

Because Jeter had to overpay for them.  The prior Marlins weren't really broke, the owner was just a scumbag that took all the money.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 04:03:20 pm »

Jeter got rid of a contract that the Marlins had no right to even consider offering, given the fiscal wobbliness of the organization.

Fiscal wobbliness...yeah, that works.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 12:09:45 am »

Jeter got rid of a contract that the Marlins had no right to even consider offering, given the fiscal wobbliness of the organization.

Fiscal wobbliness...yeah, that works.

If anyone can take that contract on, it's the Yankees considering they always are buying talent. 

My question is, why are the Marlins always crying poor with this new deal that has teams swimming in cash?

MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2017, 01:48:16 pm »

I am a little torn on this one.  I'll tell you why.

It reminds of when Boston and NY got into a bidding war for Mark Teixeira.  The numbers got stupid, Boston said "thanks, no thanks" and backed out.  Leaving NY to be the only dancing partner. 

At what level is one of these trades / signings "fine?" 

If it starts:  First few years of the contract the player performs well, team wins a buttload of games (that's an official term, by the way) and even pulls out a title. 
And it ends:  The team is on the hook for three to four years (long years) for huge money to a guy who can't stay on the field and no longer produces.

Teixeira falls under this.  NY is dealing with Elsbury right now in this manner.  CC bounced back and they are getting a little more out of him.

I thought their new model was to get away from the old model?

Well, either way, this team is going to be a bear to pitch to.  Holy Hell.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
EDGECRUSHER
Uber Member

« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 10:23:04 pm »

I think with the salaries skyrocketing so much lately, Stanton will be a bargain by the time Machado and Harper sign their deals. The old Yankee way would be to sign Stanton at Age 32 for 8 years or Ellsbury......which may be one of the worst contracts in all of sports as it never made sense from Day 1.

Everyone on the field now is under 30 except for Gardner and Sabathia, that's the new model until the Steinbrenners interfere again.
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2017, 11:33:24 am »

Agreed - he's young, but he's already shown he has a knack for getting hurt.  Taking away his rookie year in 2010, the most games he's played was 2011 (150) and this past season (159, which was a high).  He's usually around 120 (average is actually 123).  Take out the low and high and it's 107.

I'm not crapping on the move at all.  Again, I think he will be a force to deal with (I'll take him and deal with the injuries).  But this isn't a signing without risk.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 11:36:16 am by MaineDolFan » Logged

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray