Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:15:18 am
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
News: Brian Fein is now blogging weekly!  Make sure to check the homepage for his latest editorial.
+  The Dolphins Make Me Cry.com - Forums
|-+  TDMMC Forums
| |-+  Dolphins Discussion (Moderators: CF DolFan, MaineDolFan)
| | |-+  Looking ahead now
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print
Author Topic: Looking ahead now  (Read 4920 times)
BuccaneerBrad
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #30 on: December 28, 2017, 10:18:26 am »

He is a free agent at the end of the season.  The 49ers have the right to tag him but that is still only a one year deal.

If anyone can convince Jimmy G to sign a long term deal, it's John Lynch

DaLittle B
Uber Member

Do Simple better

Email
« Reply #31 on: December 28, 2017, 10:41:33 am »

I just think about the moves that got us Kiko Alonzo,Byron Maxwell,trade,and draft L.Tunsil (and I a Tunsil Believer,he can be good).They were good short term moves,that effed us in 2017.

I can see us screwing up the Landry signing (Really lowball offer,tagging him with some other tag other than Franchise to save money,and he walks)
Signing Jesse Davis,and J.James to Extensions,and thinking the line is fixed..IMO Davis, nice stop gap,but not a long term solution,J.James inconsistent,and injury prone? (4 yrs 2 seasons 16 games,2 yrs of playing 7-8 games)

I'm bearish on our front office,Bearish on last years offseason, so I'm pretty Bearish on the future.

MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #32 on: December 28, 2017, 10:47:42 am »

Denial...it isn't just a river in Egypt.

I am not in denial.  It is a fact.  I am not Spider, I have nothing against SF, I would like to see Jimmy do well except once every four years when NE faces the 49rs.  I was rooting for Cassel to do as well.  I still root for Adam V as long as his success doesn't harm NE.  

I do expect the 49rs will sign him long term, to a deal making him one of the highest paid QBs in the league. A deal more appropriate for a league MVP than a guy with a half dozen starts. We will find out next year if game film and an off season of study allows a D.C. to find weaknesses to exploit ala Matt Cassel.  

Being I actually think he is pretty good and would have started on most teams that didn't already have a HoF player in the top spot, I would prefer he stays in the NFCW rather than play in the AFC.

There are two rules for success:
 1. Never tell everything you know.
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Stop your bloodclot cryin'!

Email
« Reply #33 on: December 28, 2017, 11:52:11 am »

I do expect the 49rs will sign him long term, to a deal making him one of the highest paid QBs in the league. A deal more appropriate for a league MVP than a guy with a half dozen starts. We will find out next year if game film and an off season of study allows a D.C. to find weaknesses to exploit ala Matt Cassel.  

Or, conversely, a full offseason learning on Jimmy's part, and a full offseason for Shanahan to figure out lots of nifty ways to exploit that elite talent.

What Jimmy has done so far, he's done half-blind, with a team full of rookies, arguably one of the worst O-lines in football, and an overflowing IR. You expect him to take a step back next year?

Please send me some of whatever you're smoking...'cause that's gotta be some good shit.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #34 on: December 28, 2017, 02:08:22 pm »

Look, I think he will be good.  But *if* he fizzles he won't be the first qb to start strong and then fall of.  He will be paid elite money, but he hasn't earned the label of elite.  He might in time and I hope he does, but calling him elite is premature.

Spider-Dan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

Bay Area Niner-Hater

« Reply #35 on: December 28, 2017, 02:32:30 pm »

I think the 49ers should pay him as if he'll be the next Aaron Rodgers.

Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2017, 03:15:02 pm »

I think the 49ers should pay him as if he'll be the next Aaron Rodgers.

I think the 49ers should pay him whatever they need to pay him to lock him up by the Bay for the next 5-7 years.

"There's no such thing as objectivity. We're all just interpreting signals from the universe and trying to make sense of them. Dim, shaky, weak, staticky little signals that only hint at the complexity of a universe that we cannot begin to comprehend."
~ Micah Leggat
MaineDolFan
Global Moderator
Uber Member

MaineDolFan
« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2017, 11:27:03 am »

He is a free agent at the end of the season.  The 49ers have the right to tag him but that is still only a one year deal.

San Fran can tag him as many times as they want, should they want.  Brutal way to go...but they can.  It's within their rights.

"God is a comedian, playing to an audience too afraid to laugh."
-Voltaire
Sunstroke
YJFF Member
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2017, 12:05:07 pm »

^^^ They won't do that though. They'll try to get an extension done this offseason, and Lord knows, they have the pocket depth necessary to get it done. If not, then Jimmy Garoppolo, AKA "The greatest football player in the history of humankind or any alienkind that pays football" will get tagged...once.

Happy New Years to all...even those fools who don't recognize Jimmy G's inherent greatness. Wink

~ Micah Leggat
MyGodWearsAHoodie
Global Moderator
Uber Member

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2017, 01:28:21 pm »

San Fran can tag him as many times as they want, should they want.  Brutal way to go...but they can.  It's within their rights.

yeah but it gets real expensive real fast.

Unless he gets injured this week.....

5 to 7 year deal, total of around $17-20 million a year, with roughly +$50 million in guaranteed money.    His agent would be silly to accept a less than 220% of the current franchise tag in guaranteed money (the cost of tagging him twice) which will make him one of the highest paid players ever.   

Tenshot13
Uber Member

Email
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2017, 02:12:53 pm »

Sounds like a good problem to have.  It's not like he's Brock Osweiler
fyo
Uber Member

4866.5 miles from Dolphin Stadium

« Reply #41 on: December 29, 2017, 02:41:44 pm »

yeah but it gets real expensive real fast.

Unless he gets injured this week.....

5 to 7 year deal, total of around $17-20 million a year, with roughly +$50 million in guaranteed money.    His agent would be silly to accept a less than 220% of the current franchise tag in guaranteed money (the cost of tagging him twice) which will make him one of the highest paid players ever.  

I'm not sure what metric you are looking at. Even your high of 20 million a year would put 15 quarterbacks above Garoppolo in average salary per year over the length of their most recent contract.

In other words, 20 million a year is pretty much exactly the median for starters.

And most of those contracts are at least a few years old. In fact, of those 15 contracts only two are less than a year old. Which ones, you ask? The top two. Carr and Stafford at 25 and 27 million, respectively.
bsmooth
Uber Member

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #42 on: January 01, 2018, 02:31:11 am »

Well it appears we will pick 11th. Couldn't even make the top 10.
Dolphster
Uber Member

« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2018, 01:25:25 pm »

Well it appears we will pick 11th. Couldn't even make the top 10.

They even underachieved in losing. 
Pages: 1 2 [3] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

The Dolphins Make Me Cry - Copyright© 2008 - Designed and Marketed by Dave Gray